Defending The Truth Political Forum

Defending The Truth Political Forum (http://defendingthetruth.com/political-forums.php)
-   Social Issues (http://defendingthetruth.com/social-issues/)
-   -   Supreme court decision on unions (http://defendingthetruth.com/social-issues/64938-supreme-court-decision-unions.html)

RNG February 25th, 2018 03:42 PM

Supreme court decision on unions
 
The Axios weekly newsletter listing things to watch this week had this item.

Quote:

A potentially crippling blow for public-sector unions: For years, the court has been inching closer and closer to ruling that public-sector unions can't collect fees from non-members.
-It’s widely expected to finish the job in a case called Janus v. AFSCME. Oral arguments are Monday.

-The court will likely roll back one of the few remaining strongholds of union power — and with it, the political clout of an important part of the Democratic base.

Thus far Axios' speculations about these kinds of things have shown to be pretty accurate.

This could hurt the Democrats.

I'm torn. Hurting the Democrats helps the Republicans but I don't like the strength of unions in general and public sector unions in particular.

TNVolunteer73 February 25th, 2018 03:47 PM

Wow something we agree on.

Even FDR said Public Sector unions should not be allowed.

goober February 25th, 2018 06:51 PM

As long as non members don't benefit from the union contract, I'm OK with this.
Non members don't get seniority, they get laid off first, hired back last, and if they get fired, they don't get a hearing, if they do get a hearing, they have to hire their own lawyer, they don't get union representation.

Why should members be forced to pay for benefits for non-members.

RNG February 25th, 2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 1145799)
As long as non members don't benefit from the union contract, I'm OK with this.
Non members don't get seniority, they get laid off first, hired back last, and if they get fired, they don't get a hearing, if they do get a hearing, they have to hire their own lawyer, they don't get union representation.

Why should members be forced to pay for benefits for non-members.

Yup, that's one of my major bitches about unions. No matter how incompetent someone is, they can't be fired.

Are you sure you want to list that as a benefit?

To society, that is.

Twisted Sister February 25th, 2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNG (Post 1145679)
The Axios weekly newsletter listing things to watch this week had this item.


Thus far Axios' speculations about these kinds of things have shown to be pretty accurate.

This could hurt the Democrats.

I'm torn. Hurting the Democrats helps the Republicans but I don't like the strength of unions in general and public sector unions in particular.

That is being debated on The Supreme Court as I write. Simple solution, make the entire US right to work.

edit: I did a project in Delco Battery which the UAW protested. Upper management solved the problem by installing floor to ceiling canvas curtains surrounding the project so the scabs were hidden when working.

Clara007 February 26th, 2018 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNG (Post 1145679)
The Axios weekly newsletter listing things to watch this week had this item.


Thus far Axios' speculations about these kinds of things have shown to be pretty accurate.

This could hurt the Democrats.

I'm torn. Hurting the Democrats helps the Republicans but I don't like the strength of unions in general and public sector unions in particular.



I'd be more worried about the public sector employees leaving their professions. I can't speak to other public sector jobs, but I can tell you that there is a teacher shortage across the nation. The U.S. Department of Education maintains an annual list — state by state — showing the subject areas in which there are too few teachers going back to the 1990-91 school year. What’s new is the size of the shortage and the reasons for it.

Why are so many teachers leaving? Educators say reasons include low pay, insufficient classroom resources, and so many testing requirements and teaching guidelines that they feel they have no flexibility and too little authentic instructional time. Also included is a decrease in benefits, lack of respect/support from parents, admin and students. In other words, no one wants to be treated like crap.
The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14. In Arizona, this has become a crisis, so much so that the Dept of Ed and lawmakers think that just hiring anyone--with a bachelors degree--will be just fine. Surprise--surprise! That's not working out very well.
Recently an 18-year-old was hired to teach kindergarten in one of our local school districts. The girl was homeschooled, finished college by age 18--then applied to the school district. Obviously THAT didn't pan out either.

It's time to address this teacher shortage issue and wrapping up the unions are NOT the way to do it. I'd like to hear from other public sector employees.

Camelot February 26th, 2018 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Sister (Post 1145807)
That is being debated on The Supreme Court as I write. Simple solution, make the entire US right to work.

edit: I did a project in Delco Battery which the UAW protested. Upper management solved the problem by installing floor to ceiling canvas curtains surrounding the project so the scabs were hidden when working.

Yes, that way all the stakeholders have the right to organize except the workers. Brilliant !!! It is not a coincidence that, as union membership has declined, so have wages. A race to the bottom furthering the wealth gap in this country.

Camelot February 26th, 2018 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clara007 (Post 1145833)
I'd be more worried about the public sector employees leaving their professions. I can't speak to other public sector jobs, but I can tell you that there is a teacher shortage across the nation. The U.S. Department of Education maintains an annual list — state by state — showing the subject areas in which there are too few teachers going back to the 1990-91 school year. What’s new is the size of the shortage and the reasons for it.

Why are so many teachers leaving? Educators say reasons include low pay, insufficient classroom resources, and so many testing requirements and teaching guidelines that they feel they have no flexibility and too little authentic instructional time. Also included is a decrease in benefits, lack of respect/support from parents, admin and students. In other words, no one wants to be treated like crap.
The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14. In Arizona, this has become a crisis, so much so that the Dept of Ed and lawmakers think that just hiring anyone--with a bachelors degree--will be just fine. Surprise--surprise! That's not working out very well.
Recently an 18-year-old was hired to teach kindergarten in one of our local school districts. The girl was homeschooled, finished college by age 18--then applied to the school district. Obviously THAT didn't pan out either.

It's time to address this teacher shortage issue and wrapping up the unions are NOT the way to do it. I'd like to hear from other public sector employees.

They right wing wants to bust the teachers union, privatize all schools, lower their salaries and benefits and train them to stare down the barrel of an AR-15. What else can they do for these nuts ? Jump on an IED ?

skews13 February 26th, 2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RNG (Post 1145679)
The Axios weekly newsletter listing things to watch this week had this item.


Thus far Axios' speculations about these kinds of things have shown to be pretty accurate.

This could hurt the Democrats.

I'm torn. Hurting the Democrats helps the Republicans but I don't like the strength of unions in general and public sector unions in particular.

Old school politics. There’s a whole new population of Democratic voters coming of age to fill in any gaps.

And it’s not that Democrats need to fill in any gaps as much as Republicans are gaining them and those gaps are getting big fast.

Lyzza February 26th, 2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clara007 (Post 1145833)
I'd be more worried about the public sector employees leaving their professions. I can't speak to other public sector jobs, but I can tell you that there is a teacher shortage across the nation. The U.S. Department of Education maintains an annual list — state by state — showing the subject areas in which there are too few teachers going back to the 1990-91 school year. What’s new is the size of the shortage and the reasons for it.

Why are so many teachers leaving? Educators say reasons include low pay, insufficient classroom resources, and so many testing requirements and teaching guidelines that they feel they have no flexibility and too little authentic instructional time. Also included is a decrease in benefits, lack of respect/support from parents, admin and students. In other words, no one wants to be treated like crap.
The percentage of all teachers getting a teaching license — including veterans — fell by more than 50 percent from 2009-10 to 2013-14. In Arizona, this has become a crisis, so much so that the Dept of Ed and lawmakers think that just hiring anyone--with a bachelors degree--will be just fine. Surprise--surprise! That's not working out very well.
Recently an 18-year-old was hired to teach kindergarten in one of our local school districts. The girl was homeschooled, finished college by age 18--then applied to the school district. Obviously THAT didn't pan out either.

It's time to address this teacher shortage issue and wrapping up the unions are NOT the way to do it. I'd like to hear from other public sector employees.

My dad is almost at retirement, but now may not get retirement. He has been a steward for his local AFSCME for years, and he has had to fight for the jobs of the non-members who bitch and bitch about the union --> until they beg my dad to help them save their jobs.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.