Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues

Social Issues Social Issues and Problems - Social issues, social ill, social problems


Thanks Tree64Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2018, 12:47 PM   #61
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
It use to be the slacker was the minority. And frowned upon severely.
Today it is the norm, and the person that puts in the effort is frowned upon. And when they receive a raise or acknowledgment, others are jealous instead of happy for them. Or they are expected to do the work of the others. And the little ass kisser gets the perks.
You know who's going to rebuttle this...
That is true, Ben Franklin said Paraphrase of what he said:

I am happy to help the poor, but you should not make them comfortable in their poverty, if you do so they will not strive to get out of it.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old June 6th, 2018, 05:51 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
That is true, Ben Franklin said Paraphrase of what he said:

I am happy to help the poor, but you should not make them comfortable in their poverty, if you do so they will not strive to get out of it.
Do you believe that is true? I am incline to believe we all do what we know to do and if we don't know how something is done, we don't do a job of doing it.

Do you want to explain how someone in Ben Franklin's day got ahead? His father seems to have raised several children successfully, although he was no more than a candle maker. That kind of begs the question what is success? So we have at least two questions. What is success and what is required to succeed?
Athena is online now  
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Wouldn't that be racism? I think it is natural to *notice the differences in our skin, but to prejudge a person by their skin takes learning.
We've been misusing these two words for almost a decade, and I can't figure out why, or how they got confused. I'm racist in the sense that I acknowledge the difference between myself and others, but I don't have a preconceived notion of how others should act, or behave, therefore I have no prejudice.
I am glad you asked because I am sure wanting to be with people who look like us has nothing to do with prejudice or racism. It is simply not feel comfortable about being different.

At about age 7 another great grandchild became very concerned about being different. He is white with blond hair, but with his mother, he is different. His mother loves to be different and goes to extremes. Laugh, being a member of my family is kind of like being a member of the Adam's family, or one of the Munsters. Those were TV shows of strange families.

I am thinking, at age 7 children are transitioning from being ego- centric, to wondering about their social relationships. At this time anything that makes them feel "different" becomes an issue. But I also know when I was in a room of colored people, no one was comfortable. It was kind of like joining a man's club and feeling awkward because I am not a man.
Athena is online now  
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:53 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpork View Post
Those million dollar bombs are what enables you to live free, to have the ability to express your thoughts and religious beliefs on a public forum without the fear of government repression. You owe your freedom to our Military and it's ability to keep evil in check, an ability we were slowly losing under the Obama Administration.

Poppycock. We have thrown away our freedom to become the military industrial complex that we defended our democracy against, and I think that proves how stupid wars are. Sorry I just do not feel threatened by those "evil others". But I am concerned about a president making enemies around the world and the harm our industry has done around the world.

Last edited by Athena; June 7th, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Athena is online now  
Old June 6th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I am glad you asked because I am sure wanting to be with people who look like us has nothing to do with prejudice or racism. It is simply not feel comfortable about being different.

At about age 7 another great grandchild became very concerned about being different. He is white with blond hair, but with his mother, he is different. His mother loves to be different and goes to extremes. Laugh, being a member of my family is kind of like being a member of the Adam's family, or one of the Munsters. Those were TV shows of strange families.

I am thinking, at age 7 children are transitioning from being ego- centric, to wondering about their social relationships. At this time anything that makes them feel "different" becomes an issue. But I also know when I was in a room of colored people, no one was comfortable. It was kind of like joining a man's club and feeling awkward because I am not a man.
I have witnessed that to a large extent when my girl lost her hair. Feeling different with familiar faces. That was rough.
I know the Munsters, they are an extension of my family as well. Lol! We may be related. Ha ha. My niece has a Hispanic son and an Afrcan American daughter. She just ended a relationship with another woman.
Hmmm, the pot is so mixed up, no wonder we're so confused.
You hit on something I didn't think about earlier. At 7-10 their world does start to expand beyond themselves.
I personally get a kick out of being the woman in a man's *club. I can be quite a or an depending on the situation. (I'm married, 30 years, so not in certain terms)
Kate is offline  
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:00 PM   #66
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Do you believe that is true? I am incline to believe we all do what we know to do and if we don't know how something is done, we don't do a job of doing it.

Do you want to explain how someone in Ben Franklin's day got ahead? His father seems to have raised several children successfully, although he was no more than a candle maker. That kind of begs the question what is success? So we have at least two questions. What is success and what is required to succeed?
How did they get a head, the would receive charity for a while. Then they were expected to make it on their own.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old June 6th, 2018, 10:02 PM   #67
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Do you believe that is true? I am incline to believe we all do what we know to do and if we don't know how something is done, we don't do a job of doing it.

Do you want to explain how someone in Ben Franklin's day got ahead? His father seems to have raised several children successfully, although he was no more than a candle maker. That kind of begs the question what is success? So we have at least two questions. What is success and what is required to succeed?
Well you start out as a teenager getting a job at lets say McDonalds, or local Retail Store, grocery store, and build a work ethic and then learn skills.. Wait the illegal aliens are taking those jobs from our Teenagers so they don't learn how to work or what is required to get ahead..
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old June 7th, 2018, 04:29 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Well you start out as a teenager getting a job at lets say McDonalds, or local Retail Store, grocery store, and build a work ethic and then learn skills.. Wait the illegal aliens are taking those jobs from our Teenagers so they don't learn how to work or what is required to get ahead..
Rich parents?
Thanks from Athena and Clara007
iolo is offline  
Old June 7th, 2018, 09:42 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Well you start out as a teenager getting a job at lets say McDonalds, or local Retail Store, grocery store, and build a work ethic and then learn skills.. Wait the illegal aliens are taking those jobs from our Teenagers so they don't learn how to work or what is required to get ahead..
Oh brother. That is not what I observed in my family. The children of my father's second family had it made. They got good husbands and good jobs because they had good connections. On the other hand, there was my mother, sister and myself, and life for us was not so easy. She supported us with no help from my father when women did women's work for low pay. I learned to not want anything and I identified with low-income people and didn't feel comfortable around people with money. I have a college education but not the socialization that goes with it. I know the reality of being well off and the reality of poverty, and I know it ain't hard work that makes the difference. I was a very hard worker and my employers took advantage of me and did not advance me.

There was a time when a person of color had no opportunity outside of the colored neighborhood. There was a time when women did not get hired for male jobs and in some communities that is all there was, male jobs, and a couple of waitress jobs. It is amazing to me to see women in jobs that once only males could have. Even if a community had jobs, there was no child care and if there wasn't a grandmother or aunt to care for the children, a woman couldn't take a job. No one wanted to hire a mother anyway. But my mother did live in a city with office work for women and fortunately, there was a daycare center so in some areas women had it a little bit better. For sure I know there have been real barriers to some people and I really don't like it when people do not acknowledge that.

I helped someone promote a show at the WOW Center and it was amazing to help someone with money enough to do things right. The show was a big success. I had done a few programs for people in the community but never had money for the doing. My projects were successful because I gave away my time and resources, and when I helped the man with a show, I learned how much better I could have done if I had had the money for the doing. I like the saying "It takes money to make money". That is very true.
Thanks from iolo, Kate and Clara007
Athena is online now  
Old June 7th, 2018, 09:52 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Do you believe that is true? I am incline to believe we all do what we know to do and if we don't know how something is done, we don't do a job of doing it.

Do you want to explain how someone in Ben Franklin's day got ahead? His father seems to have raised several children successfully, although he was no more than a candle maker. That kind of begs the question what is success? So we have at least two questions. What is success and what is required to succeed?
Ben Franklin was tall and bumped his head on the new barn he built. The Contractor said lower your head and Ole Ben said, make the barn taller.

edit: paraphrase

Last edited by Twisted Sister; June 7th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues

Tags
unfair



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unfair treatment! coke Current Events 0 February 25th, 2017 06:23 AM
Unfair Presidential Debate Randy71 Current Events 69 September 30th, 2016 06:49 AM
The Right To An Unfair Trial skews13 Civil Rights 6 April 12th, 2016 03:18 PM
Here's How Unfair The Tax System Is In Each State LongWinded Current Events 4 January 8th, 2015 12:24 AM
Our Unfair Way of Levying Taxes borden123 Taxes 45 February 28th, 2010 01:48 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.