Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Socialism

Socialism Socialism Forum - Political Philosophy Forum


Thanks Tree112Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,093
What is the socialist economic plan?

Seriously. What is the socialist economic plan?

Does anyone know?
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,093
Fiat keeps talking about "conservative economic plans" I don't know what that is. I think she is referring to supply side economics.

What I am curious about is an economic policy under socialism? How would that work?
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
drsnugglesvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Alpine, NJ
Posts: 278
Here's the basic idea

Thanks from coke
drsnugglesvt is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnugglesvt View Post
Here's the basic idea

That was my avatar for a bit 😉
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Fiat keeps talking about "conservative economic plans" I don't know what that is. I think she is referring to supply side economics.

What I am curious about is an economic policy under socialism? How would that work?
I think what they're talking about is not Marxist socialism, but something more revisionist. Fancy-dancy words, here's what I think it means.

1) Government takes over essential services like transportation and health care so that these are available to working class people who otherwise cannot afford them, similar to what they have in Great Britain and Sweden. That prevents fat cats like Donald Trump from profiteering off of other people's essential needs.

2) Income redistribution so that you don't have a country composed of billionaires and street people. The purpose is two-fold: no one but no one needs a billion dollars in order to survive, but everyone needs food. AND, if the money is collecting at the top--as it is doing now--and consumers are having to get by on less and less, it is fatal to free enterprise. In order for capitalism to work, their must be a viable middle class for the captains of industry to sell their goods to, otherwise they are overproducing and resources are going to waste.

Opponents say this system will destroy incentive to work, because those who have earned the right to be rich should keep what they have earned. But incentive is also destroyed where there is a loss of hope, which breeds discontent and revolution. A system that is top-heavy will eventually topple over. Truman understood this when they devised the Marshall Plan, it is not high sounding ideas but poverty and despair that are the cornerstones of revolution and demagoguery. Without reasonable access to a portion of the wealth of a country, people will give up.

That I believe is the modern socialist mind. Does that help?
Thanks from imaginethat, RNG, Sabcat and 1 others
Asimov is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
I think what they're talking about is not Marxist socialism, but something more revisionist. Fancy-dancy words, here's what I think it means.

1) Government takes over essential services like transportation and health care so that these are available to working class people who otherwise cannot afford them, similar to what they have in Great Britain and Sweden. That prevents fat cats like Donald Trump from profiteering off of other people's essential needs.

2) Income redistribution so that you don't have a country composed of billionaires and street people. The purpose is two-fold: no one but no one needs a billion dollars in order to survive, but everyone needs food. AND, if the money is collecting at the top--as it is doing now--and consumers are having to get by on less and less, it is fatal to free enterprise. In order for capitalism to work, their must be a viable middle class for the captains of industry to sell their goods to, otherwise they are overproducing and resources are going to waste.

Opponents say this system will destroy incentive to work, because those who have earned the right to be rich should keep what they have earned. But incentive is also destroyed where there is a loss of hope, which breeds discontent and revolution. A system that is top-heavy will eventually topple over. Truman understood this when they devised the Marshall Plan, it is not high sounding ideas but poverty and despair that are the cornerstones of revolution and demagoguery. Without reasonable access to a portion of the wealth of a country, people will give up.

That I believe is the modern socialist mind. Does that help?
I don't think "socialism" requires taking over anything, it just sets up a tax system which produces a broader distribution of wealth, like we had from 1933 to 1981. A system that is more concerned with making people feel secure economically.
That's what people like Bernie Sanders are talking about.
Thanks from coke
goober is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
drsnugglesvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Alpine, NJ
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
I don't think "socialism" requires taking over anything
So we should repeal ACA because it puts insurance regulation in the hands of the government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
sets up a tax system which produces a broader distribution of wealth
When did it become the government's responsibility to "distribute wealth"? You earn it; you keep it. The government is here to provide security and intervene when and only when there is market failure. Why should the government take from some and give to others? I want my money to take care of my own family.
Thanks from Sabcat, coke and Jimgorn
drsnugglesvt is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
drsnugglesvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Alpine, NJ
Posts: 278
Thanks from coke
drsnugglesvt is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnugglesvt View Post
So we should repeal ACA because it puts insurance regulation in the hands of the government?



When did it become the government's responsibility to "distribute wealth"? You earn it; you keep it. The government is here to provide security and intervene when and only when there is market failure. Why should the government take from some and give to others? I want my money to take care of my own family.
Wealth is creation of government, money is created and regulated, real estate is a government construct, as is common stock and bonds, you have a right to what you have on your back and what you have in your pocket. The ownership of anything beyond that is a government construct.
Thanks from coke
goober is offline  
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Wealth is creation of government, money is created and regulated, real estate is a government construct, as is common stock and bonds, you have a right to what you have on your back and what you have in your pocket. The ownership of anything beyond that is a government construct.
Please explain.
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Socialism

Tags
economic, plan, socialist



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Master Plan to No Plan: The Slow Death of Public Higher Education intangible child Current Events 3 October 29th, 2015 05:29 AM
Guess Who Else Is A Socialist skews13 Americas 155 October 23rd, 2015 07:54 PM
Socialist desperation coke Americas 6 October 18th, 2014 04:26 PM
Chicago should thank the Socialist Gov! coke Current Events 2 August 24th, 2014 01:16 AM
My Economic Protection Plan Jzyehoshua Money and Finance 4 February 28th, 2008 06:53 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.