Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Socialism

Socialism Socialism Forum - Political Philosophy Forum


Thanks Tree33Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:39 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,265
I don't think that Venezuela "ran out of other people's money" as so much that oil prices took a severe dump and that the government needed the oil revenue to prop up their social welfare program. This is what happens when a country is dependent on only one resource.

Denmark is socialist also, but the Danes have a diversified economy. Dunno exactly what the Danish make exactly besides pastries, canned ham and pornography, but they haven't ran out of other people's money either, and people like and accept the system. Pastries, canned ham and pornography doesn't have a volatile pricing on World markets like oil does either, so that's another thing.

Venezuela for some reason claims most of neighboring Guyana as part of their country, so maybe invading Guyana is exactly what the Venezuelans need to feel proud, taking over a smaller country, killing lots of people which will create patriotism and flag waving. What can go wrong?

Last edited by senor boogie woogie; February 26th, 2018 at 09:41 PM.
senor boogie woogie is offline  
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:44 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
guy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
I don't think that Venezuela "ran out of other people's money" as so much that oil prices took a severe dump and that the government needed the oil revenue to prop up their social welfare program. This is what happens when a country is dependent on only one resource.

Denmark is socialist also, but the Danes have a diversified economy. Dunno exactly what the Danish make exactly besides pastries, canned ham and pornography, but they haven't ran out of other people's money either, and people like and accept the system. Pastries, canned ham and pornography doesn't have a volatile pricing on World markets like oil does either, so that's another thing.

Venezuela for some reason claims most of neighboring Guyana as part of their country, so maybe invading Guyana is exactly what the Venezuelans need to feel proud, taking over a smaller country, killing lots of people which will create patriotism and flag waving. What can go wrong?
Point of order Senor

https://www.thelocal.dk/20151101/dan...-not-socialist
Thanks from Kode
guy39 is offline  
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:27 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
I think the key word is "planned." Denmark does not has a centrally planned economic system. It has:
Denmark has a developed mixed economy that is classed as a high-income economy by the World Bank. It ranks 18th in the world in terms of GDP (PPP) per capita and 6th in nominal GDP per capita. Denmark's economy stands out as one of the most free in the Index of Economic Freedom and the Economic Freedom of the World. It is the 13th most competitive economy in the world, and 8th in Europe, according to the World Economic Forum in its Global Competitiveness Report 2014Ė2015.

Denmark has the fourth highest ratio of tertiary degree holders in the world. The country ranks highest in the world for workers' rights. GDP per hour worked was the 13th highest in 2009. The country has a market income inequality close to the OECD average, but after public cash transfers the income inequality is very low. According to the International Monetary Fund, Denmark has the world's highest minimum wage. As Denmark has no minimum wage legislation, the high wage floor has been attributed to the power of trade unions. For example, as the result of a collective bargaining agreement between the 3F trade union and the employers group Horesta, workers at McDonald's and other fast food chains make the equivalent of US$20 an hour, which is more than double what their counterparts earn in the United States, and have access to five weeks' paid vacation, parental leave and a pension plan. Union density in 2015 was 68%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark#Economy
imaginethat is offline  
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #34
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Web
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I think the key word is "planned." Denmark does not has a centrally planned economic system. It has:


... workers at McDonald's and other fast food chains make the equivalent of US$20 an hour, which is more than double what their counterparts earn in the United States, and have access to five weeks' paid vacation, parental leave and a pension plan. Union density in 2015 was 68%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark#Economy

How much does a Big Mac cost in Denmark?

Last edited by Mythbuster; February 26th, 2018 at 10:42 PM.
Mythbuster is offline  
Old February 27th, 2018, 04:11 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
How much does a Big Mac cost in Denmark?
No idea, you try Google?
Hollywood is offline  
Old February 27th, 2018, 04:26 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 2,033
Just as in so many other countries, the USA is trying to make Venezuela a colony by overturning the elected government.
Thanks from Kode
iolo is offline  
Old February 27th, 2018, 05:30 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
How much does a Big Mac cost in Denmark?
Googled it for you. The article was dated Oct. 2014 but it said a Big mac in Denmark was $5.60 compared to $4.80 in the U.S., using the USD at the measurement. And yeah, IF I ate that crap I'd pay $.80 more to see thousands and thousands of my fellow citizens get a more livable age. Would probably save me a lot more in taxes in the long run.
Hollywood is offline  
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:40 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Googled it for you. The article was dated Oct. 2014 but it said a Big mac in Denmark was $5.60 compared to $4.80 in the U.S., using the USD at the measurement. And yeah, IF I ate that crap I'd pay $.80 more to see thousands and thousands of my fellow citizens get a more livable age. Would probably save me a lot more in taxes in the long run.


WAIT....what?? You would pay more to......what was that?....."see thousands and thousands of my fellow citizens get a more livable wage?"

Shocking. Someone WHO actually THINKS about other Americans??

Now that's just silly. Where do you come up with this crazy stuff, H?? I mean...what next? Healthcare for all??
Thanks from hoosier88, Hollywood and Kode
Clara007 is offline  
Old February 27th, 2018, 06:57 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
WAIT....what?? You would pay more to......what was that?....."see thousands and thousands of my fellow citizens get a more livable wage?"

Shocking. Someone WHO actually THINKS about other Americans??

Now that's just silly. Where do you come up with this crazy stuff, H?? I mean...what next? Healthcare for all??
Purely self-interest on my part. Those people will pay state and federal taxes on that money.
Some will be able to get off of some forms of public assistance.
They will spend that money in LOCAL businesses.
Those local business will have to buy more of the products they sell, maybe even have to hire new people to meet increased demand for their goods and services.
Just common sense.
Thanks from Clara007
Hollywood is offline  
Old February 27th, 2018, 07:23 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Kode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Oregon
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
I don't think that Venezuela "ran out of other people's money" as so much that oil prices took a severe dump and that the government needed the oil revenue to prop up their social welfare program. This is what happens when a country is dependent on only one resource.

Denmark is socialist also, but the Danes have a diversified economy. Dunno exactly what the Danish make exactly besides pastries, canned ham and pornography, but they haven't ran out of other people's money either, and people like and accept the system. Pastries, canned ham and pornography doesn't have a volatile pricing on World markets like oil does either, so that's another thing.

Venezuela for some reason claims most of neighboring Guyana as part of their country, so maybe invading Guyana is exactly what the Venezuelans need to feel proud, taking over a smaller country, killing lots of people which will create patriotism and flag waving. What can go wrong?
Think. Right. What I find very interesting is that in post #9 I provided lots of comment and plenty of documentation on the role of a US program of a staggering amount of long-term propaganda aimed at us and at Venezuelan citizens, but nobody has peep to say about it. Instead, we're immediately back to bumper stickers about "other people's money" and to oil stories. Yes Venezuela has relied heavily on oil to fund growth and the collapse of oil prices have hurt them. But absent the constant meddling and onslaught of propaganda mainly by the US government, it would have a chance of regaining its footing.

But nobody seems to care if they are tools to corruption and international interference.
Kode is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Socialism

Tags
admit, afraid, collapsing, left, venezuela



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venezuela oh Venezuela, where art thy defenders now? coke Socialism 4 May 17th, 2016 02:10 AM
Republican Support Collapsing In Wisconsin Clinton Leads Walker 52-40 skews13 Current Events 43 April 20th, 2015 10:42 AM
Is YOUR (Local) Infrastructure COLLAPSING? Medicine Man Current Events 6 July 14th, 2014 06:01 AM
Less Than 10%, So Why Be Afraid? Ray Kaye Gay and Lesbian Rights 7 August 22nd, 2011 01:30 PM
What are we afraid of? coberst Philosophy 0 June 4th, 2009 01:41 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.