Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Sports

Sports Sports Forum - Talk about the wide world of sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighredf View Post
I hate to be dissing the Bossman's team, but the Red Sox seem to be off to a bad start.


Nice to see some new, topical sports posts, particularly on baseball. Was really too bad for the Marlins that they dished off Cody Ross for nothing at the trade deadline last year, and even worse for the Padres that the Giants grabbed him, just to keep him away from the Padres. Then Cody goes on to have an MVP National League Playoff series, and the Giants not only win the pennant, but the World Series, after San Diego has its only collapse of the year. League was very exciting last season. With a month left in the season, everyone was looking at Philadelphia, St. Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim, New York, Tampa and San Diego. Suddenly the Padres, Cardinals went on long losing streaks, allowing the Giants and Reds to take division titles. Texas finally stayed the course and got to the series, but San Francisco was better. If this season is like last, will be exciting, already we have controversy.



The Cleveland Indians are off to a great start, but I doubt if they have the staying power. My Marlins have enhanced their pitching staff tremendously this year,their last, thank goodness, in the Dolphins football stadium. Their new indoor stadium in downtown will be ready next year, very modern, Star Trek-type of a stadium, all in silver and white. Florida's Annibal Sanchez came within two outs of a no-hitter beating a hot Colorado team in Florida tonight 4-1. Marlins and Philly tied for first, and Josh Johnson is 2-0 so far as a pitcher, both shutouts.



Cincinnati has some kid who throws a fastball at 106mph clocked. Hell, that would make his curveball come in about 96mph, almost unhittable. Tampa remains strong, and even the Baltimore Orioles and the Pittsburgh Pirates are showing signs of life finally, after decades of terrible baseball, all the fault of the front offices. Bonds? Got convicted of Obstruction of Justice, so we won't get the details of the steroid investigation.



MLB commish Selig has acted in the best interest of baseball, and taken over the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise, to keep it out of that McCort divorce proceeding. Baseball is always looking for good performances out of New York City, (Mets never seem to improve, Yankees have that great tradition), Chicago (Cubs same but the White Sox, another of my favorite teams, are competitive), Boston and Los Angeles.When those big market cities have competitive teams throughout the season, baseball usually is in good shape, even if the big market teams don't win the title.



Although I work at all the Marlin games and a fan, my true baseball love is the Dodgers, can't stand it when management messes up with outstanding sports organizations with great history like LA. Always liked the Angels from when I lived out in San Diego, so have a lot of sports favorites, baseball wise.



Sports on a personal note, well the Miami Heat have been exciting all year, even if they are the most hated team in the NBA. Should close out Philadelphia and into the next round against the Celtics. Not sure anybody can defeat them four of seven in thirteen days.



My Buffalo Sabres NHL team favorite, tied up the Philadelphia Flyers, in their series 2-2, with Ryan Miller in goal pitching two shutouts at the crybaby bullies from the City of Brotherly Love.



And if the Buffalo Bills get a chance at Number 3 in the NFL draft, and pass on Cam Newton, the QB from Auburn, as their Number 1, then they should contract the team, and move it out to Los Angeles. Newton is another Marino, Montana, Kelly, and the Bills really have to rejuvenate their fan base up there. Dolphins? Same old, same old. If there is a way to screw it up, leave it up to their front office to do it. Great to see you guys discussing some sports for awhile, was getting tired of politics, and arguing with waiting tables......Stan
Stan Fan is offline  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM   #42
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 17,099
Instead of working the lowly, lifeless, sad sack Padres games, I'd rather see the Red Sox at the Angels. The Phillies have tossed goose eggs at the Padres in two straight games. The Padres have not scored in 21 innings. Can anybody hit the darn baseball? I miss Adrian Gonzales.



Seems like the Red Sox are on the rebound lately, winning 3 straight on the road, including the last 2 at Anaheim, with 2 more to go. And there is this series in Boston two months from now when the Padres are there. I watched the Red Sox @ Anaheim on TV the last two nights.



The Dodgers-Frank McCourt thing is a disgrace to baseball. Why have a marriage fiasco involved in it? And to borrow $30M just to meet payroll? Just awful.



The Lakers played a good game at NOLA.
highway80west is offline  
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM   #43
Banned
 
Ray Kaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: With God....of course!
Posts: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by H80W View Post
Instead of working the lowly, lifeless, sad sack Padres games, I'd rather see the Red Sox at the Angels. The Phillies have tossed goose eggs at the Padres in two straight games. The Padres have not scored in 21 innings. Can anybody hit the darn baseball? I miss Adrian Gonzales.



Seems like the Red Sox are on the rebound lately, winning 3 straight on the road, including the last 2 at Anaheim, with 2 more to go. And there is this series in Boston two months from now when the Padres are there. I watched the Red Sox @ Anaheim on TV the last two nights.



The Dodgers-Frank McCourt thing is a disgrace to baseball. Why have a marriage fiasco involved in it? And to borrow $30M just to meet payroll? Just awful.



The Lakers played a good game at NOLA.


SanDiego Mother -------'s and the Seattle Moroner's.



It's a race to the bottom. Even the rudderless Dodgers are doing better!
Ray Kaye is offline  
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kaye View Post
SanDiego Mother -------'s and the Seattle Moroner's.



It's a ace to the bottom. Even the rudderless Dodgers are doing better!
I



Have a little faith guys, it is only about 20 games into the season.



Biggest oddity of the year in baseball, other than MLB taking over the operations of the Dodgers? Due to a previously cancelled U-2 concert last year, the Florida Marlins lose a three game home series with Seattle, and travel there, where the Fish will be the home team, so the big stadium U-2 concert can be held in Miami. I liked Bono as much as anybody in rock music, but losing an entire inter league series and three home games for them - not worth it. I don't think Seattle has ever played a game in Miami against the Marlins.....Stan
Stan Fan is offline  
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #45
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kaye View Post
SanDiego Mother -------'s and the Seattle Moroner's.



It's a race to the bottom. Even the rudderless Dodgers are doing better!




Call them the Madres, Ray. Or the Mother Friars. Damn, the Poohdres dropped a 4-game series to Philly, though I am not surprised by it. The Phillies own the Padres at Petco Park. 22-4 since 2004. The numbers don't lie.



On the flip side, OtF's Red Sox swept the Angels 90 miles north of here at the Big. Dice K pitched a dandy yesterday. And almost 2 weeks ago they were saying, 'TRADE DICE K, TRADE DICE K!!" What are they saying now?



highway80west is offline  
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #46
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Fan View Post
I



Have a little faith guys, it is only about 20 games into the season.



Biggest oddity of the year in baseball, other than MLB taking over the operations of the Dodgers? Due to a previously cancelled U-2 concert last year, the Florida Marlins lose a three game home series with Seattle, and travel there, where the Fish will be the home team, so the big stadium U-2 concert can be held in Miami. I liked Bono as much as anybody in rock music, but losing an entire inter league series and three home games for them - not worth it. I don't think Seattle has ever played a game in Miami against the Marlins.....Stan




That won't happen at the Marlins new ballpark starting next year, Stan. Place looks good so far. The Marlins have their games televised into the pressbox here on their network, with Tommy Hutton at the mike.



highway80west is offline  
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #47
Banned
 
Ray Kaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: With God....of course!
Posts: 3,095
Have a little faith guys, it is only about 20 games into the season.



*** That's what they told me last season, and the season before that, and the season before that, and the season before that, and the..........



We haven't been close since 1995, and the way things go here in Seattle, we're a little tired of digging out from the trenches every year. I don't relish catch-up baseball. 2 steps forward, 5 back, 3 forward, 7 back. No wonder why I'm a single A fan here. Free parking, good food, hungry ballplayers who sign autographs so's you can read them.
Ray Kaye is offline  
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #48
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kaye View Post
Have a little faith guys, it is only about 20 games into the season.



*** That's what they told me last season, and the season before that, and the season before that, and the season before that, and the..........



We haven't been close since 1995, and the way things go here in Seattle, we're a little tired of digging out from the trenches every year. I don't relish catch-up baseball. 2 steps forward, 5 back, 3 forward, 7 back. No wonder why I'm a single A fan here. Free parking, good food, hungry ballplayers who sign autographs so's you can read them.


How about the year 2000 or 2001, Ray? The M's had their best regular season record in one of those years, and did not make it to the World Series, thanks to the Yankees. The Padres have an "A" team in Lake Elsinore. Soon, they will have a "AAA" team in Escondido, 30 miles NE of here.
highway80west is offline  
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #49
Banned
 
Ray Kaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: With God....of course!
Posts: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by H80W View Post
How about the year 2000 or 2001, Ray? The M's had their best regular season record in one of those years, and did not make it to the World Series, thanks to the Yankees. The Padres have an "A" team in Lake Elsinore. Soon, they will have a "AAA" team in Escondido, 30 miles NE of here.




*** Ya want the good news or the bad news, first?



The good news: the Moroner's can't lose today.





The bad news: the Madres still can!
Ray Kaye is offline  
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #50
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 17,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kaye View Post
*** Ya want the good news or the bad news, first?



The good news: the Moroner's can't lose today.





The bad news: the Madres still can!


Spare me all that. The M's and P's have games to play against each other starting next month.



Now, for OtF: What do you think about Dice-K now? Still wanna see him traded?
highway80west is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Sports

Tags
2011, baseball



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major League Baseball Stan Fan Sports 3 July 12th, 2011 10:11 AM
For The Casual Baseball Fan..... Stan Fan Sports 0 August 22nd, 2010 10:26 PM
Jim Joyce Named Baseball's Best Ump leighredf Sports 1 June 15th, 2010 07:08 AM
The Greatest Play In Baseball Dude111 Sports 0 April 17th, 2010 05:20 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.