Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Sports

Sports Sports Forum - Talk about the wide world of sports


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2016, 05:59 AM   #1
Mind Numbed Robot
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,002
Poor Winners

At a recent foot race I n my town the winner was interview at the finnish and made quite of point of stressing he had not run his best race.

I get that a competitive person is a perfectionist , and likely always critiques himself as could have done better. But, in the context, in public, while the other runners are still coming in, it's a rude insult to your competitors.

He disgusted me.
webguy4 is offline  
Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Mind Numbed Robot
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
At a recent foot race I n my town the winner was interview at the finnish and made quite of point of stressing he had not run his best race.

I get that a competitive person is a perfectionist , and likely always critiques himself as could have done better. But, in the context, in public, while the other runners are still coming in, it's a rude insult to your competitors.

He disgusted me.
Sort of a reverse envy.
webguy4 is offline  
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:11 AM   #3
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
At a recent foot race I n my town the winner was interview at the finnish and made quite of point of stressing he had not run his best race.

I get that a competitive person is a perfectionist , and likely always critiques himself as could have done better. But, in the context, in public, while the other runners are still coming in, it's a rude insult to your competitors.

He disgusted me.
Okay, now I know you're not a runner, let alone have entered any road-races, cause even the shortest local races (5K's) have always been too long for me to have a chance at winning or even being in the top three finishers...so I never felt jealous or envious of any winners, because that's not what my body was designed to do! And I'm pretty sure nobody else who cannot qualify for a starting line position is concerned with what the winners are doing! Like virtually everyone else showing up for the race, if I was competing..it was just against my own times...trying to set personal bests.

I started jogging and running recreationally in 1980 after a few years out of school, when I was finding that I was gaining weight and drinking too much and wanted to get back in shape.

In school, my own physical attributes put me in the middle distance range from quarter mile to the mile...and I didn't consider the races or the training to be fun! But years later, when I joined what was then a small, ignored and dedicated community of roadrunners, it was just getting out for fun, even when I did work my way up to trying marathons when I was closing in on 40.

And over the years, like everyone else who keeps running, we're competing against Father Time..since after 40, cardio output capacity inevitably declines with age as the years go by, and the competition is all about trying to avoid weight gain, keeping in shape, and finding the best way to deal with inevitable injuries...which I won't get in to, but these fancy high-tech running shoes that started appearing in the late 70's are the worst things to have been created for us! For me, undoing the wear and damage to cartilage and joints has led me to wearing as 'little shoe as possible' even barefoot when I have the chance!

I haven't entered any races in the past five years...mostly because I have settled in to working late 2nd shifts and getting up early in the morning to run or race is outside of my normal biorhythms. My problem with the road races today is they are too big...if you're mid-pack, your stuck in a crowd if there's about 10,000 runners and walkers all jumbled in together.
right to left is online now  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Mind Numbed Robot
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
Okay, now I know you're not a runner, let alone have entered any road-races, cause even the shortest local races (5K's) have always been too long for me to have a chance at winning or even being in the top three finishers...so I never felt jealous or envious of any winners, because that's not what my body was designed to do! And I'm pretty sure nobody else who cannot qualify for a starting line position is concerned with what the winners are doing! Like virtually everyone else showing up for the race, if I was competing..it was just against my own times...trying to set personal bests.

I started jogging and running recreationally in 1980 after a few years out of school, when I was finding that I was gaining weight and drinking too much and wanted to get back in shape.

In school, my own physical attributes put me in the middle distance range from quarter mile to the mile...and I didn't consider the races or the training to be fun! But years later, when I joined what was then a small, ignored and dedicated community of roadrunners, it was just getting out for fun, even when I did work my way up to trying marathons when I was closing in on 40.

And over the years, like everyone else who keeps running, we're competing against Father Time..since after 40, cardio output capacity inevitably declines with age as the years go by, and the competition is all about trying to avoid weight gain, keeping in shape, and finding the best way to deal with inevitable injuries...which I won't get in to, but these fancy high-tech running shoes that started appearing in the late 70's are the worst things to have been created for us! For me, undoing the wear and damage to cartilage and joints has led me to wearing as 'little shoe as possible' even barefoot when I have the chance!

I haven't entered any races in the past five years...mostly because I have settled in to working late 2nd shifts and getting up early in the morning to run or race is outside of my normal biorhythms. My problem with the road races today is they are too big...if you're mid-pack, your stuck in a crowd if there's about 10,000 runners and walkers all jumbled in together.
I said "reverse envy" not envy. And it's just plain bad attitude, poor sportsmanship, and rude for the winner to throw dirt into the faces of his competitors the way he did.

The more appropriate response would be to say something charitable , gracious, and thankful about the other runners. To say repeatedly, as he did after winning that he had not run his best race was just flat wrong.
webguy4 is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:47 AM   #5
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
I said "reverse envy" not envy. And it's just plain bad attitude, poor sportsmanship, and rude for the winner to throw dirt into the faces of his competitors the way he did.

The more appropriate response would be to say something charitable , gracious, and thankful about the other runners. To say repeatedly, as he did after winning that he had not run his best race was just flat wrong.
Like I was trying to tell you before, these events are not one race, but a collection of different races going on that morning...and into the afternoon for the marathons and other long course road races. So, I doubt anyone who's ever participated would have expected him to comment on the other races. And from what little information you provide here, how do you know he even had other competitors in the race with him? This often happens at smaller race events, where an elite runner drops in and wants to use the race as part of preparation for Boston or the Olympics or some other big race that has a lot of money and prestige riding on it! He may have been running alone, out there by himself for the second half of the race, and had no "competitors" just locals looking at other club members or people from other nearby running clubs they see at races in the area.
right to left is online now  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Mind Numbed Robot
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
Like I was trying to tell you before, these events are not one race, but a collection of different races going on that morning...and into the afternoon for the marathons and other long course road races. So, I doubt anyone who's ever participated would have expected him to comment on the other races. And from what little information you provide here, how do you know he even had other competitors in the race with him? This often happens at smaller race events, where an elite runner drops in and wants to use the race as part of preparation for Boston or the Olympics or some other big race that has a lot of money and prestige riding on it! He may have been running alone, out there by himself for the second half of the race, and had no "competitors" just locals looking at other club members or people from other nearby running clubs they see at races in the area.
He was the winner of the race. That is all the context required to see his condescension, myopia, and general rudeness.
webguy4 is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:04 AM   #7
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 23,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
He was the winner of the race. That is all the context required to see his condescension, myopia, and general rudeness.
I disagree. He was stating what he thought was a situation. He was not gloating. He was not denigrating the other competitors. He was giving the interviewer his best analysis of his performance.

Nothing wrong with that.
RNG is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Mind Numbed Robot
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I disagree. He was stating what he thought was a situation. He was not gloating. He was not denigrating the other competitors. He was giving the interviewer his best analysis of his performance.

Nothing wrong with that.
Suppose you were playing chess with him, and after getting you in checkmate he says , " I am a little off my game today, I should have beaten you much sooner".

It's an unnecessary insult.
webguy4 is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:22 AM   #9
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 23,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Suppose you were playing chess with him, and after getting you in checkmate he says , " I am a little off my game today, I should have beaten you much sooner".

It's an unnecessary insult.
First, he didn't say "I should have beaten them by way more time". And secondly, a one on one situation and a one on several thousands in some marathons are very different.
RNG is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:56 PM   #10
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I disagree. He was stating what he thought was a situation. He was not gloating. He was not denigrating the other competitors. He was giving the interviewer his best analysis of his performance.

Nothing wrong with that.
Since this is coming from a rightwinger, I was just playing along and waiting for him to get to his point that meritocracy means not everyone can finish first, so let's celebrate excellence or similar bullshit!
right to left is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Sports

Tags
poor, winners



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welfare, is it keeping the poor, poor? mytmouse57 Economics 40 June 8th, 2015 09:21 AM
...Winners Tax... Polari Taxes 24 February 7th, 2015 05:54 AM
41% of Nationís Poor Are White, Nearly Double the Number of Poor Blacks poet Social Issues 64 August 14th, 2013 02:17 PM
Winners And Losers Podium Pentothal Current Events 11 October 28th, 2012 09:16 AM
And the Winners Are........ The Bare Knuckled Pundit Political Talk 0 June 17th, 2009 04:41 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.