Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Taxes


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cliffside Park, NJ
Posts: 398
Entire eliminating tax deductions for state and local taxes?

Entire eliminating tax deductions for state and local taxes?

Eliminating federal income taxes deductions proportional to state and local taxes,(i.e. SALT) was inserted within proposed tax bill, for the purpose of reducing the decade's net federal budget 's deficits if the tax bill is enacted. Congress has restricted the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act's”, (if the bill's enacted), not to exceed $1.5 trillion dollars, (i.e.$1,500,000,000,000.00) net anticipated increased federal debts over the next decade.

I agree with those contending this provision of the bill will to some extent consequentially reduce state and local tax, (i.e. SALT) revenues. Those are revenues for funding their jurisdiction's public educational systems, safety guardians, and their entire supporting infrastructures.

I am not among those that believe our nation would be better served by entirely eliminating federal income deductions for SALT. It's been suggested that Congress's goals could essentially be accomplished by capping each taxpayer's SALT deduction and pegging all finite dollar tax deductions such as the standard deductions or this proposed SALT deduction to annual cost-of-living adjustments.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kelvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: In
Posts: 278
Many of the states have bloated budgets, they keep raising taxes knowing that those taxes can be written off.

The head of the New Jersey State Senate, a Democrat, says if this passes the state will not be able to raise taxes. Sounds like a good thing.
Kelvin is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Katmandu
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Entire eliminating tax deductions for state and local taxes?

Eliminating federal income taxes deductions proportional to state and local taxes,(i.e. SALT) was inserted within proposed tax bill, for the purpose of reducing the decade's net federal budget 's deficits if the tax bill is enacted. Congress has restricted the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act's”, (if the bill's enacted), not to exceed $1.5 trillion dollars, (i.e.$1,500,000,000,000.00) net anticipated increased federal debts over the next decade.

I agree with those contending this provision of the bill will to some extent consequentially reduce state and local tax, (i.e. SALT) revenues. Those are revenues for funding their jurisdiction's public educational systems, safety guardians, and their entire supporting infrastructures.

I am not among those that believe our nation would be better served by entirely eliminating federal income deductions for SALT. It's been suggested that Congress's goals could essentially be accomplished by capping each taxpayer's SALT deduction and pegging all finite dollar tax deductions such as the standard deductions or this proposed SALT deduction to annual cost-of-living adjustments.

Respectfully, Supposn
Elimination of SALT deductions was one of the best parts of the tax bill, I wish that the property tax deduction had been totally eliminated instead of partially.
Libertine is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #4
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Entire eliminating tax deductions for state and local taxes?

Eliminating federal income taxes deductions proportional to state and local taxes,(i.e. SALT) was inserted within proposed tax bill, for the purpose of reducing the decade's net federal budget 's deficits if the tax bill is enacted. Congress has restricted the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act's”, (if the bill's enacted), not to exceed $1.5 trillion dollars, (i.e.$1,500,000,000,000.00) net anticipated increased federal debts over the next decade.

I agree with those contending this provision of the bill will to some extent consequentially reduce state and local tax, (i.e. SALT) revenues. Those are revenues for funding their jurisdiction's public educational systems, safety guardians, and their entire supporting infrastructures.

I am not among those that believe our nation would be better served by entirely eliminating federal income deductions for SALT. It's been suggested that Congress's goals could essentially be accomplished by capping each taxpayer's SALT deduction and pegging all finite dollar tax deductions such as the standard deductions or this proposed SALT deduction to annual cost-of-living adjustments.

Respectfully, Supposn
You do understand that you can only deduct those if you itemize only 70-80% itemize

Now the standard deduction is being doubled from 6,000 to 12,000 for the individual from 12 to 24,000 for couples.

so actually the lack of the removing the deduction and raising the standard dedutction HELPS 8 OUT OF 10 americans save on their taxes.. plus most of those that itemize don't get 6K in state and local tax deductions to itemize.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cliffside Park, NJ
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Many of the states have bloated budgets, they keep raising taxes knowing that those taxes can be written off.

The head of the New Jersey State Senate, a Democrat, says if this passes the state will not be able to raise taxes. Sounds like a good thing.
Kelvin, eliminating federal income taxes deductions proportional to state and local taxes,(i.e. SALT) will somewhat slow down increases of states and local taxes; It will also increase the cost of those governments' debt servicing.

It will effectively much less slow down NJ governments' tax increases and much more increase their governments' expenses. The consequences will be net detrimental to NJ taxpayers.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn is offline  
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cliffside Park, NJ
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
You do understand that you can only deduct those if you itemize only 70-80% itemize

Now the standard deduction is being doubled from 6,000 to 12,000 for the individual from 12 to 24,000 for couples.

so actually the lack of the removing the deduction and raising the standard dedutction HELPS 8 OUT OF 10 americans save on their taxes.. plus most of those that itemize don't get 6K in state and local tax deductions to itemize.
TNVolunteer, I'm aware of only a minority of federal taxpayers itemizing their deductions and due to almost doubling the standard deductions that minority will be greatly reduced.

Federal tax regulations eliminating the SALT deduction will significantly increase state and local government's debt service costs. The consequences will be net detrimental to taxpayers.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn is offline  
Old December 5th, 2017, 05:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 9,551
The only effect of the tax bill that most people agree will happen, is a huge increase in the deficit. That always happens with a tax cut.
And a few years down the road revenues rise to where they were before the tax cut, but spending growth keeps the deficit high.

Look, a lot of people get to keep more of their money, most of the money goes to wealthy people, who invest it, because they have no unmet needs to spend it on.
So there is a huge amount, a trillion and a half dollars over the next ten years that will be invested.

There will also be an investment available that wouldn't otherwise be there, that is a trillion and half dollars worth of Treasury notes, and every single one will be sold.
Net increase in funds available for investment = ZERO.
goober is online now  
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #8
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
The only effect of the tax bill that most people agree will happen, is a huge increase in the deficit. That always happens with a tax cut.
And a few years down the road revenues rise to where they were before the tax cut, but spending growth keeps the deficit high.

Look, a lot of people get to keep more of their money, most of the money goes to wealthy people, who invest it, because they have no unmet needs to spend it on.
So there is a huge amount, a trillion and a half dollars over the next ten years that will be invested.

There will also be an investment available that wouldn't otherwise be there, that is a trillion and half dollars worth of Treasury notes, and every single one will be sold.
Net increase in funds available for investment = ZERO.
that is not true if the economic growth of GDP increases 0.4% it is revenue neutral, if the GDP growth increseases >0.4 above 2016 levels it generates revenue.

What was the GDP Growth in 2016 ? 1.6%

What is the current GDP Growth? 3.3%
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Taxes

Tags
deductions, eliminating, entire, local, state, tax, taxes



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remarks by the President in Conference Call with State and Local Officials on Ebola The White House The White House 0 October 8th, 2014 01:20 PM
FACT SHEET: Taking Action to Support State, Local, and Tribal Leaders as They Prepare The White House The White House 0 July 16th, 2014 07:00 AM
Readout of the President’s Call with State and Local Elected Officials on the Afforda The White House The White House 0 February 24th, 2014 03:52 PM
State and Local Tax Revenue At An All Time High excalibur Current Events 4 September 24th, 2013 10:17 PM
Standard or Itemized deductions liberalguy Money and Finance 3 March 25th, 2010 09:59 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.