“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been."

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
@bill sands

Yes, although, that reaches across all of humanity--not just the US. Also, it is worth noting that 'anti-intellectualism' is in many ways, inextricably bound to sloth. That is, reading, thinking, writing, formulating and challenging arguments all takes quite a lot of work. Is it not easier to allow the time to pass doing more undemanding tasks?

Think about it, Asimov used to read Chemistry textbooks for fun, and wrote 100(?) books. How many people do you know have even a fraction of that work ethic--in any area?
cognitive bias is intellectua laziness agreed and sure it isnt just us, but lets face it we wship holly wood the way the french worship intellectuals tha right there tells you alot asbout us vs other industiral societies. god i love the french

Dec 2018
New England
bipoler usually occurs in really smart people, i ave that, but yah i'm 60 andstill here, thats a big success considering the roller coaster ride of a life i've had, and thank you, for not respoding with insults and mockery, i respect you for that
Jibes during a debate are part of the exercise; health is no joking matter, and we're of similar age, so I suspect you know I know.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Jibes during a debate are part of the exercise; health is no joking matter, and we're of similar age, so I suspect you know I know.
i'm 60 i had a real good run considering i consider mty life succcesful in tht i havent frozen to death in card board box behind a liquor store... yet

Dec 2018
U.S
Isaac Asimov > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov

What's so strange is that with such a 'famous' person as - Issac Asimov that you put down, he himself calling himself Issac might not know from where he got his name change from Yitschaq/Yishaq to the modern Isaac. But strangely enough, Issac spells his name Issac where Isaac is spelled Isaac. LOL

Feb 2019
here and there
Isaac Asimov > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov
"De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"

Don't think me unkind
Words are hard to find
The only cheques I've left unsigned
From the banks of chaos in my mind
And when their eloquence escapes me
Their logic ties me up and rapes me

De do do do, de da da da
Is all I want to say to you
De do do do, de da da da
Their innocence will pull me through
De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
They're meaningless and all that's true

Poets, priests and politicians
Have words to thank for their positions
Words that scream for your submission
And no one's jamming their transmission
'Cos when their eloquence escapes you
Their logic ties you up and rapes you

De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
They're meaningless and all that's true

(De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
De do do do, de da da da
They're meaningless and all that's true)