1 in 16 U.S. women say their first sexual intercourse was rape

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I have no trouble believing this statistic.

1 in 16 U.S. women say their first sexual intercourse was rape
A staggering one in 16 women said they were raped by force or coercion the first time they had sexual intercourse, according to a new study of government survey data.​
Survivors reported higher rates of unwanted first pregnancy, abortion and an array of other physical and mental health problems, study authors wrote in an analysis published Monday in the Journal of the American Medical Association.​
Between 2011 and 2017, researchers for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention questioned a nationally representative sample of 13,310 women, ages 18 to 44 about marriage, divorce, family life, reproductive health and more. Men were not asked about the first time they had sexual intercourse, and women with no history of vaginal intercourse and girls 17 or younger were not included in this study.​
...The trauma of this first sexual experience left a legacy of negative health outcomes for survivors, the study suggested. Among these survey respondents, 30 percent of women reported an unwanted first-time pregnancy, compared to 18 percent of women who said they chose to have sex the first time.​
Women who were forced to have sex the first time were also more likely to report having had an abortion and have had problems ovulating or menstruating, significantly higher than women who described their first sexual experience as consensual.​
Often, the sexual violence happened when the women were girls. Among respondents, 7 percent said they were younger than 10 at the time of the assault, while another 29 percent said they were between the ages of 11 and 14. The largest segment, at 39 percent, said the assaults happened between the ages of 15 and 17.​

More: 1 in 16 U.S. women say their first sexual intercourse was rape

Jul 2019
Georgia
that's sad, and also sadly I have no trouble believing these stats either

May 2018
Chicago
I'm not surprised. And while I am not trying to take away from this issue, I bet the numbers for men are not much better. Child abuse seems to know no boundaries.

Reactions: se7en
Sep 2019
NY
Of course this is true, sorry to say. A few years ago we found out that women we had known since childhood, had been raped when they were children. It was staggering to hear that people we are close to had been raped as a child and never told until they were adults.

In one instance the girl was 10 and the grown man who raped her had the nerve to come to her house the next day, grinning like nothing happened. She said she was to scared and ashamed to tell.

Another lady said her father had raped her from the time she was 6 until she ran away at 13. She had never told anyone about it. Her mother died when she was a baby, so there was no one to protect her from him.

As Karma would have it, he developed stomach cancer and could only drink milk. No food. It finally reached a point where he couldn't drink milk either. With a refrigerator full of milk, he slowly and painfully died of starvation.

A stepfather who molested and raped his step daughter when she was a child, was a raging alcoholic. She went to prison as a teenager. She swore she would kill him when she got out. Thankfully he died before she got out. The alcohol ate him up inside and he screamed in pain
for 3 days before he died. No amount of medication could stop the horrible pain he was in.

I hope all the rapist meet the same fates.