2019 Hong Kong Protests

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Most people realized that the trend would be this way from the time the UK handed it over to the Chinese. I'm surprised it has been so slow in fact.

Panther

Forum Staff
Jul 2013
North Texas
Most people realized that the trend would be this way from the time the UK handed it over to the Chinese. I'm surprised it has been so slow in fact.
I dunno? The one thing that has always concerned me about China is their persistent patience in getting what they want through subtle measures over time. At least, so it seems to me.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I dunno? The one thing that has always concerned me about China is their persistent patience in getting what they want through subtle measures over time. At least, so it seems to me.
Well, the whole Tiananmen Square thing wasn't handled with that much patience. And their reaction towards Canada for arresting the Huawei VP on a US warrant was fast and vicious. But in general you are correct.

Sep 2017
Hell
The Chinese are patient. Western thinking does not give us the ability to plan for decades as we are accustomed to quicker gratification. During the Han Dynasty, they paid tribute to a marauding equestrian nomadic tribe and married off princesses called the Xiong-nu because the Han did not have the tech and the resources to defeat them as nomads do not fight pitched battles unless they are dominant. It took three generations and three Emperors, along with an extensive secret 70 year horse breeding program with horses that the secretly bought and smuggled in before they suddenly rose to drive and chase the Xiong-nu across the Gobi desert where they reemerged later knocking on Rome as the Scourge of God".

Well, the whole Tiananmen Square thing wasn't handled with that much patience. And their reaction towards Canada for arresting the Huawei VP on a US warrant was fast and vicious. But in general you are correct.
With Tianenmen Square, they were more patient than you are giving them credit for. It festered on for so long, and the public opinion among the Chinese AND internationally was beginning to turn in favor of the students, to the point that the CCP was beginning to fear a military coup or international intervention. After the White Shirt guy incident, they had to make a move because the students, and then regular citizens began to attack the military and police. The CCP was confronted with an uncomfortable truth, their armed forces would NOT fire on the people. Military units that were poised to enter Beijing were pulled back and replaced with units that comprised of non-Hans, Uigurs, Mongols, Manchurians, etc, The unleash of the massacre was only able to happen because the troops comprised of people basically already pissed off at the Hans, the brutality of it probably even surprised the CCP. I guess some might say that the protesters died because the selected attackers thought they had benefits from unfair Han privilege.

Impatience would have been how the Russians would have done it. Kill the student leaders in plan sight to make a statement and then deny knowledge and participation of such event.