32 Tips For Navigating A Society Full Of Propaganda And Manipulation

Nov 2013
NM
I agree, but most here, especially the RW conservatives, will ignore this thread. Most to not want to acknowledge how very easily they are manipulated. IMHO of course.
Have you ever read about Edward Bernays and his work?
A brilliant, twisted genius, practically the inventor & a groundbreaking practitioner of PR, disinformation, information control, controlling the means of mass communication, & suborning the same to his purposes - or his client's purposes - basically a mouthpiece for anyone who had the money to hire him & his outfit.

Nov 2013
NM
I think the best advice for anyone with doubts about the media World we're presented with (especially in the US) - is to read widely. History, the classics, government, sociology, science, technology. Science fiction is handy, it gives you a heads-up long before some technologies actually become practical - & thus more time to think about the issues raised. & some of the stuff that's coming over the horizon - the more time to think about it, the better.

Watch less TV, movies, slick magazines (the warning is hardly necessary for newspapers & serious magazines - they're all in serious trouble, & circling the drain steadily). Internet videos are not a good substitute - the domination of visual & audio inputs seems to put the brain/mind to sleep - the very opposite of what we need to be doing in life. Mostly the collaborative media (TV, movies, even radio) are feeding you someone else's ideas & emotions - reading is a cooler medium (see McLuhan), & so you have much more mental space in which to observe from & draw your own conclusions.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
A brilliant, twisted genius, practically the inventor & a groundbreaking practitioner of PR, disinformation, information control, controlling the means of mass communication, & suborning the same to his purposes - or his client's purposes - basically a mouthpiece for anyone who had the money to hire him & his outfit.
Absolutely, but very good at what he did.

Nov 2012
nirvana
I agree, but most here, especially the RW conservatives, will ignore this thread. Most to not want to acknowledge how very easily they are manipulated. IMHO of course.
Have you ever read about Edward Bernays and his work?
That’s only because Rush told them what’s really true.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
... Be suspicious of anyone who refuses to articulate themselves clearly. Word salading is a tactic notoriously used by abusive narcissists, because it keeps the victim confused and unable to figure out what’s going on. If they can’t get a clear handle on what the manipulative abuser is saying, they can’t form their own solid position in relation to it, and the abuser knows this. Insist on lucid communication, and if it’s refused to you, remove trust and sympathy. Apply this to people in your life, to government officials, ....
Most definitely. Insist on clarity especially with doctors, lawyers, professors, and the RW.

May 2019
USA
The mods have still not banned you?

What';s with that?
The mods have still not banned you?

What';s with that?
So McCarthy's communism of Christianity didn't satisfy those crooks on Capital Hill that " Hollywood Himmler" propaganda preying on the US with that second coming burning Bush's 9/11 Al Qaeda health care act where there's no conspiracy manipulating for an Islamidiotocracy national religion due to immaculate drug conceptions giving standing to thieving US Constitution - old glory - old testament arsonists at the US Drugs of Christianity of Nazington court as reality to be banned ?

Jan 2015
MD
I think the best advice for anyone with doubts about the media World we're presented with (especially in the US) - is to read widely. History, the classics, government, sociology, science, technology. Science fiction is handy, it gives you a heads-up long before some technologies actually become practical - & thus more time to think about the issues raised. & some of the stuff that's coming over the horizon - the more time to think about it, the better.

Watch less TV, movies, slick magazines (the warning is hardly necessary for newspapers & serious magazines - they're all in serious trouble, & circling the drain steadily). Internet videos are not a good substitute - the domination of visual & audio inputs seems to put the brain/mind to sleep - the very opposite of what we need to be doing in life. Mostly the collaborative media (TV, movies, even radio) are feeding you someone else's ideas & emotions - reading is a cooler medium (see McLuhan), & so you have much more mental space in which to observe from & draw your own conclusions.
You can’t even trust history a lot of the time because it’s written by the winners.

I just try to read as much information as possible, from as many different perspectives as possible, so that I can come to my own conclusions on things — instead of relying on someone else’s perspective.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
NM
You can’t even trust history a lot of the time because it’s written by the winners.

I just tried to read as much information as possible, from as many different perspectives as possible, so that I can come to my own conclusions on things — instead of relying on someone else’s perspective.
Certainly history as taught in K-12 when I was growing up (ages ago, I'll admit) was very biased. Apparently the textbook manufacturers were leery of losing big market share in states like TX, which had a real lust for embellishing their heroes, such as they were. (& I believe TX Board of Education - or one of their committees - struck Pres. T. Jefferson from the pantheon of state-certified demigods - apparently he was too uppity.) So yes, history requires a good eye, to spot special pleading & self-aggrandizing writing/thinking. I've learned to read British history & reference & children's books (Dorling Kindersley - now DK) with a jaundiced eye. They appear to have contracted the Russian virus (It was invented here!) & having read through a fair amount of WWII books & articles, I look very carefully @ Churchill's histories & articles & pamphlets & on & on (he was a journalist early on, & apparently never learned to shut up already). He had a nice facility with language, but a lot of it (to me) seems to be mostly self-serving. He was also the only professional writer of the big three Allies in WWII to survive (& with any regard for mass public opinion), & he wasn't shy about using his special access to British military & diplomatic documentation to produce a string of best sellers - with considerable editorial & clerical staff support. He was a kind of literary cottage industry in UK for a time - think of him as Martha Stewart, Inc., with a literary bent. & of course he had a lot of time (& debts) on his hands, once he was voted out of office.

But I digress - yes, the main requirement is to engage with whatever you're reading - & I prefer reading for information - there are too many distractions to the other media, pretty as they may be.