5G spectrum and the potential weather forecasting apocalypse

Apr 2013
La La Land North
A very interesting article, but I will give a short summary, and those who wish can read a bit more in the link, which has further links imbedded.

The US announced they would be auctioning off rights to the electromagnetic spectrum at 24 GHz that is needed for 5G. Big excitement. BUT the regulations about spectrum noise means that there would be about 70% leakage into the next spectrum 23.8 GHz, the one NASA and NOAA need to use for "seeing" into clouds to allow detailed weather forecasts, especially storm data. This 70% leakage would mean they would only be able to get 30% of the data they can now. NOAA administrator told the FCC that this would take forecasting back to about 1980s levels.

But the $2B the government got for the auction overcame the objections. So good luck.

Mar 2019
Texas
A very interesting article, but I will give a short summary, and those who wish can read a bit more in the link, which has further links imbedded.

The US announced they would be auctioning off rights to the electromagnetic spectrum at 24 GHz that is needed for 5G. Big excitement. BUT the regulations about spectrum noise means that there would be about 70% leakage into the next spectrum 23.8 GHz, the one NASA and NOAA need to use for "seeing" into clouds to allow detailed weather forecasts, especially storm data. This 70% leakage would mean they would only be able to get 30% of the data they can now. NOAA administrator told the FCC that this would take forecasting back to about 1980s levels.

But the $2B the government got for the auction overcame the objections. So good luck.

Really 2 bil?

I feel cheap dirty and used.