A Brokered Democratic Convention?

Dec 2018
New England
Ya know, with four of five candidates in the running and new rules this year awarding a proportional number of delegates (as opposed to the more traditional winner-take-all method), the chances of no candidate getting to the convention with enough delegates to win on the first ballot are increasing by the week. That could mean the Democratic nominee for President will ultimately be chosen by some good ol' fashioned backroom wheelin' and dealin'.

If that comes to pass, all I'll be able to say is "pass the popcorn."

Sep 2019
Here
Ya know, with four of five candidates in the running and new rules this year awarding a proportional number of delegates (as opposed to the more traditional winner-take-all method), the chances of no candidate getting to the convention with enough delegates to win on the first ballot are increasing by the week. That could mean the Democratic nominee for President will ultimately be chosen by some good ol' fashioned backroom wheelin' and dealin'.

I don't think the DNC will allow that to happen. Sanders may commit suicide.

Jul 2014
massachusetts

The DNC has always awarded delegates proportionately.
The RNC has allowed a mix, of proportional and winner take all, the winner take all was put there to secure the nomination for Rudy Giuliani, who imploded before the primaries began and never ran.
Not sure if they still have it, it doesn't matter this year, but it's what won McCain nomination so fast, and put all the TV coverage on Obama and Clinton.

If the contest is not decided by the convention, it will generate a lot of news coverage (free advertising).
We aren't at that point yet, we have 4 viable candidates one progressive and three moderates.
If Bernie can catch on, and why not, he's a mirror image of Trump, it could happen, all those people looking for a disrupter could find Bernie, and Bernie's the real deal when it comes to disruption.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
The DNC has always awarded delegates proportionately.
The RNC has allowed a mix, of proportional and winner take all, the winner take all was put there to secure the nomination for Rudy Giuliani, who imploded before the primaries began and never ran.
Not sure if they still have it, it doesn't matter this year, but it's what won McCain nomination so fast, and put all the TV coverage on Obama and Clinton.

If the contest is not decided by the convention, it will generate a lot of news coverage (free advertising).
We aren't at that point yet, we have 4 viable candidates one progressive and three moderates.
If Bernie can catch on, and why not, he's a mirror image of Trump, it could happen, all those people looking for a disrupter could find Bernie, and Bernie's the real deal when it comes to disruption.
Wasn't there some kind of big stink about the DNC superdelegates in 2016? I still don't understand where they come from.

Jul 2015
chicago

I think you make a good point. I could see it approaching the convention and having 4 competitive candidates.

Reactions: YoursTruly
Jul 2018
Earth
It really doesn't matter who the Dem candidate is unless he/she appeals to the white guys in the swing States and to the racist white women in the Red States. It is doubtful if the Dem will carry any of the Red States but it is possible to pick up enough of the Red States to win the election.

The Dem candidate can win by picking up Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania or by picking up Florida and one of the swing States or Florida and either North Carolina or Arizona. Those are the winning combinations for the Dem candidate, assuming all of the Blue States stay Blue. If New Hampshire flips to Red then the Dem candidate must keep all of the other Blue States and pick up Florida and North Carolina to win or get Wisconsin, Michigan & Pennsylvania.

Sep 2019
Here
It really doesn't matter who the Dem candidate is unless he/she appeals to the white guys in the swing States and to the racist white women in the Red States. It is doubtful if the Dem will carry any of the Red States but it is possible to pick up enough of the Red States to win the election.

The Dem candidate can win by picking up Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania or by picking up Florida and one of the swing States or Florida and either North Carolina or Arizona. Those are the winning combinations for the Dem candidate, assuming all of the Blue States stay Blue. If New Hampshire flips to Red then the Dem candidate must keep all of the other Blue States and pick up Florida and North Carolina to win or get Wisconsin, Michigan & Pennsylvania.
I got a feeling that the democrats are going to lose big. As in the Carter/Reagan race. Regardless of which of the current top 4 is selected.

Since the media is covering the dem nomination process, all day everyday, it would seem like they have a chance. It's competition. Like sports. And we do love our sports. The media knows this. And so they report it that way.

One could call this like a horse race announcer does.

Makes me wonder who was paid off before the race even started.

Sep 2019
Here
No, I meant what are superdelegates and who appoints them and tells them who to vote for?
You're a die hard liberal democrat and you don't know what a super delegate is? Good grief. HA HA HA HA... And the funny thing is, you're opposed to the electoral college.

HA HA HA HA HA>.. This is priceless.

Tell us again why you support Hitlery Klinton...