A Climate (Alarmist) Must Read

Dec 2015
Arizona
I'm guessing that a LOT of environmentalists just took Shellenberger off their Vegan/Zero Waste Christmas card list.
So Michael thinks that by authoring (like a zealot) will encourage climate-exaggerating zealots to ease up on their whole apocalyptic schtick?
Who's his intended audience? Certainly not those who have spent their lives sending up red flares and extremely loud alerts!
Is he pandering to those who never fell for the whole climate change/global warning "gimmick"?
I get his point. HEY--stop exaggerating, but he did offer up this: But don’t scientists and activists need to exaggerate in order to get the public’s attention?
Then follows it up with....but "HEY__not my job, man."
Isn't it? Why bother with science if it isn't followed up with dire warnings? A guy in a white lab coat discovers a strain of Bubonic Plague, publishes his findings and offers absolutely NO solutions? No suggestions?

I don't think so. Shellenberger is ONE man with an opinion. I'm sure he'll keep talking and without meaning to he'll convince the nay-sayers that climate change IS definitely the hoax they thought it was. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: Rescue Basket
Feb 2014
Oregon
I'm guessing that a LOT of environmentalists just took Shellenberger off their Vegan/Zero Waste Christmas card list.
So Michael thinks that by authoring (like a zealot) will encourage climate-exaggerating zealots to ease up on their whole apocalyptic schtick?
Who's his intended audience? Certainly not those who have spent their lives sending up red flares and extremely loud alerts!
Is he pandering to those who never fell for the whole climate change/global warning "gimmick"?
I get his point. HEY--stop exaggerating, but he did offer up this: But don’t scientists and activists need to exaggerate in order to get the public’s attention?
Then follows it up with....but "HEY__not my job, man."
Isn't it? Why bother with science if it isn't followed up with dire warnings? A guy in a white lab coat discovers a strain of Bubonic Plague, publishes his findings and offers absolutely NO solutions? No suggestions?

I don't think so. Shellenberger is ONE man with an opinion. I'm sure he'll keep talking and without meaning to he'll convince the nay-sayers that climate change IS definitely the hoax they thought it was. Mission accomplished.
Nat, the web site is blocked to me so I can not read the argument. Do you want to put it in your own words? Also, do you know science to have good judgment on such matters?

Clara, Shellenberger's opinion comes out of discussing matters with very well informed people. I think he has a good point about funding alternative energy projects with the goal of driving costs down, instead of cap and trade that is driving costs up but not creating a better alternative. Michael Shellenberger - Wikipedia

There is also the fact that we are due for another ice age so global warming could be making things better, up to a point. I agree if we go past that point, things will be bad, and considering the fires and other factors, we may have already pushed things too far. A return to a love of nature would be nice.

Feb 2018
Oregon
..... There is also the fact that we are due for another ice age so global warming could be making things better, up to a point. I agree if we go past that point, things will be bad, and considering the fires and other factors, we may have already pushed things too far. A return to a love of nature would be nice.
Well, if "we are due for an ice age" and yet, we have global warming, that seems to support the idea that global warming is not a "natural" event or nature would be chilling us down.

Dec 2018
New England
But don’t scientists and activists need to exaggerate in order to get the public’s attention?
Yes, but then there's a problem of holding it once the hyperbole is laid bare.

Crying "wolf" never works for long.

Dec 2018
New England
Nat, the web site is blocked to me so I can not read the argument. Do you want to put it in your own words? Also, do you know science to have good judgment on such matters?

Clara, Shellenberger's opinion comes out of discussing matters with very well informed people. I think he has a good point about funding alternative energy projects with the goal of driving costs down, instead of cap and trade that is driving costs up but not creating a better alternative. Michael Shellenberger - Wikipedia

There is also the fact that we are due for another ice age so global warming could be making things better, up to a point. I agree if we go past that point, things will be bad, and considering the fires and other factors, we may have already pushed things too far. A return to a love of nature would be nice.
Check your browser; it's not a blocked site. This gist is that the claims of mass death resulting from climate change are not supported by the science (nor from common sense).

Sep 2019
U.S.A.
While fluctuating Solar output and cycle irregularity could indicate a cooling trend approaching, it seems that would be easily offset by warming from climate changes. The accumulated and varied effects of the current warming trend however, go far beyond global temperatures and the impacts will be felt around the world. The eventual refugee migration alone will destabilize huge swaths of global population in time....shortsighted and purposeful ignorance will probably be looked on as hateful in a century.

Reactions: imaginethat

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I agree that crying wolf all the time has hurt the message. The famous 12 year thing AOC came out with is only correct in terms of a state from which we probably will not be able to return to the normal of the 1980s. It is a tipping point but not the edge of the word. We will not all die in 12 years, we will suffer continuously intensifying problems such as fire, storms, famine, drought and so on. Quality of live will increasingly degrade over time.

Unfortunately that type of analysis requires the ability to think a bit more deeply. Thus no Republican action.

Reactions: Clara007
Sep 2019
U.S.A.
I agree that crying wolf all the time has hurt the message. The famous 12 year thing AOC came out with is only correct in terms of a state from which we probably will not be able to return to the normal of the 1980s. It is a tipping point but not the edge of the word. We will not all die in 12 years, we will suffer continuously intensifying problems such as fire, storms, famine, drought and so on. Quality of live will increasingly degrade over time.

Unfortunately that type of analysis requires the ability to think a bit more deeply. Thus no Republican action.
It is also a hyperbolic statement out of ignorance, based on a single sentence from one of thousands of similar papers all making guestimates of possibility. In my opinion 12 years is inaccurate as the damage already done will not even be felt en mass for decades and we will do far worse by then. No one can accurately define what is going to happen as it is far too complex, but no matter what it wont be a good outcome.