A Good Sign?

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
Just read it...

The whole article missed what I consider (IMO) the biggest looming factor: China manufactures utter crap. There is a new meaning to the phrase, Chinese Junque. Garbage. Other than wonton soup...if there isn't melamine in it...they make kaka.

Just sayin'.......

Apr 2013
Left coast
Just read it...

The whole article missed what I consider (IMO) the biggest looming factor: China manufactures utter crap. There is a new meaning to the phrase, Chinese Junque. Garbage. Other than wonton soup...if there isn't melamine in it...they make kaka.

Just sayin'.......
Unless Australia is way different, when was the last time you used an appliance or piece of household equipment that wasn't made in China? Some cheap crap is made in China, but a whole bunch of other good quality stuff is. Their development somewhat follows Japan after WWII. They too started with exporting real crap but transitioned to high tech manufacturing. You talk about Chinese Junque but I can remember when Made in Japan was a terrible insult.

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
Unless Australia is way different, when was the last time you used an appliance or piece of household equipment that wasn't made in China? Some cheap crap is made in China, but a whole bunch of other good quality stuff is. Their development somewhat follows Japan after WWII. They too started with exporting real crap but transitioned to high tech manufacturing. You talk about Chinese Junque but I can remember when Made in Japan was a terrible insult.
It's tough to find non-Chinese stuff...and that's my problem. It's cheaply made because of low overheads. Trump's quite right about a 25% import excise on Chinese products. Slave labour is a tough competitive partner...and unfair.

Apr 2013
Left coast
It's tough to find non-Chinese stuff...and that's my problem. It's cheaply made because of low overheads. Trump's quite right about a 25% import excise on Chinese products. Slave labour is a tough competitive partner...and unfair.
So why shouldn't the workers in China have jobs? Why is it fair to kill their employment prospects?

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
So why shouldn't the workers in China have jobs? Why is it fair to kill their employment prospects?
No social safety nets are over there. These inherent and non-existent costs are detriments to AMERICANS and their own jobs. Don't forget all the Chinese domestic goods and services that are...out and out theft of intellectual property. Sure, their exports of these things has been hammered...but it's pretty free and easy, domestically. All those Levy Jeans??? They ain't US made....all those video CD's??? On and on it goes.

Unfair to kill THEIR employment prospects???

I think you were being sarcastic......

Mar 2013
Britton, SD
...Didn't their employment prospects come at the price of others employment prospects?...Did they worry about anyone else when they started making cheap goods?...

Apr 2013
Left coast
The concept of conservatives talking about what is fair is pretty amusing. And I still categorically think any restraint of trade is bad in the long run. Why pick on China. You'd have to do the same to India and Mexico, or do you love your Nikes and Fords too much?

Mar 2013
Britton, SD
The concept of conservatives talking about what is fair is pretty amusing. And I still categorically think any restraint of trade is bad in the long run. Why pick on China. You'd have to do the same to India and Mexico, or do you love your Nikes and Fords too much?
...What restraint of trade are you talking about?...Do you mean keeping or bringing back jobs?...I didn't say it was fair...Thats why we have that crappy phrase "It's just business"...I'm just asking why we should worry about China, India or Mexico jobs?...Isn't that their job?...