A Heavenly Chorus Is Rehearsing

May 2018
East Coast Of U.S.A.
The Golden Age of Television is not a reference to programming. It refers to that time before the remote control device was invented. Back then the viewers watched, and listened to, the commercials the way God intended they should. The government still got its message out in program content and brief news broadcasts. It was a perfect world for one and all until the remote control became part of the furniture in every household with a TV.

Next came the VCR.

The Ministry of Propaganda (FCC) was losing ground and something had to be done; hence, the Fairness Doctrine stopped the bleeding until President Reagan abolished it 1986. That was followed by the Internet.

The government fought back when analogue was replaced with digital transmission. The result was hundreds of advertising platforms akin to a newspaper adding a hundred pages of advertising for every page of news.

The worst part was that digital increased the number of parasites taking down huge tax dollar salaries on cable networks. Those salaries are paid by the advertising tax deduction which is passed onto every American whether or not they own a TV.

For the record, my wife signed up for cable a few years back. Should I become a widower every television in my home will go out with the trash as soon as possible. I would not allow those people on television in my home if they knocked on my door. To me, television brings the worst human beings imaginable into my home electronically.

Having said the above I never expected to see this happen in my lifetime:

For the first time satellite and cable TV providers lost more than a million subscribers from July through September this year. To be exact, they lost 1.1 million customers. Which is a lot of monthly fees gone poof!​

Worst quarter ever for cable/Satellite TV providers​
Andrew Malcolm​
Posted at 10:01 am on November 20, 2018​

I cannot swear the way President Trump dealt with Jim Acosta was a contributing factor. Cancelling subscriptions was in the hopper long before Trump slapped Acosta upside the head.

Regardless of the reason cable is losing millions of subscribers, and dollars, I like to think Americans are gradually coming to the truth about what television did this country.

Finally, a heavenly chorus is practicing for the day the advertising tax deduction is eliminated.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
My maternal grandma had a color TV with remote in 1954. The remote was ultra-sound and dropping coins on the floor would make it change channels.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
My maternal grandma had a color TV with remote in 1954. The remote was ultra-sound and dropping coins on the floor would make it change channels.
I think you mean 1964. Silver quarters and half dollars. The sandwiched coins didn't work. Motorola set.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The Golden Age of Television is not a reference to programming. It refers to that time before the remote control device was invented. Back then the viewers watched, and listened to, the commercials the way God intended they should. The government still got its message out in program content and brief news broadcasts. It was a perfect world for one and all until the remote control became part of the furniture in every household with a TV.

Next came the VCR.

The Ministry of Propaganda (FCC) was losing ground and something had to be done; hence, the Fairness Doctrine stopped the bleeding until President Reagan abolished it 1986. That was followed by the Internet.

The government fought back when analogue was replaced with digital transmission. The result was hundreds of advertising platforms akin to a newspaper adding a hundred pages of advertising for every page of news.

The worst part was that digital increased the number of parasites taking down huge tax dollar salaries on cable networks. Those salaries are paid by the advertising tax deduction which is passed onto every American whether or not they own a TV.

For the record, my wife signed up for cable a few years back. Should I become a widower every television in my home will go out with the trash as soon as possible. I would not allow those people on television in my home if they knocked on my door. To me, television brings the worst human beings imaginable into my home electronically.

Having said the above I never expected to see this happen in my lifetime:

For the first time satellite and cable TV providers lost more than a million subscribers from July through September this year. To be exact, they lost 1.1 million customers. Which is a lot of monthly fees gone poof!​

Worst quarter ever for cable/Satellite TV providers​
Andrew Malcolm​
Posted at 10:01 am on November 20, 2018​

I cannot swear the way President Trump dealt with Jim Acosta was a contributing factor. Cancelling subscriptions was in the hopper long before Trump slapped Acosta upside the head.

Regardless of the reason cable is losing millions of subscribers, and dollars, I like to think Americans are gradually coming to the truth about what television did this country.

Finally, a heavenly chorus is practicing for the day the advertising tax deduction is eliminated.

A couple of points. "The way God intended?" Maybe God changed his mind.
Next came the VCT. See....God did change his mind.
Digital. God did it again.
AND again with cutting the cable. What's next? Streaming. THAT'S why customers are dropping their cable.

You're married? WOW.

May 2018
East Coast Of U.S.A.
More good news:

According to Disney’s recently released annual report, sports network ESPN has lost 2 million domestic subscribers over the course of 2018.​
Disney’s report revealed that the company’s sports network, ESPN, currently has 86 million subscribers. This is down two million from the 88 million subscribers to the sports commentary and news station in 2017.​
ESPN wasn’t the only Disney-owned network to lose subscribers this year: The Disney Channel went from 92 million subscribers in 2017 to 89 million subscribers in 2018, while Freeform fell by two million subscribers to 90 million, and Disney Junior and Disney XD both lost approximately three million subscribers.​

ESPN Loses 2 Million Subscribers This Year​
by LUCAS NOLAN​
22 Nov 2018​

The beauty in TV’s shrinking audience is that TV programming is not the automobile industry that can come out with new models every year. TV is stuck with the same shit it was putting out from day one. Nor does TV have a secondary industry like used cars, nor does TV programs have a lucrative repair industry.

Best of all, economic reality has to kick in with every reduction in the number of subscribers. A number of parasites have to hit the bricks. So far, the number is miniscule, but the day must come when the dam breaks flooding the country with unemployable parasites.

Gradually is the operative word.