A must read, The new Yorker article on the creepy Organization of the NRA

Oct 2017
Minnesota
They are holding hands , getting money and free trips by this countries biggest enemy's. My opinion they care little about the second, other then the fact that it is there money maker and power point. It is all dollars and cents, in my opinion, Its a 100% billfold issue. . The corporate gun money has control of this group and no one can tell me they are good Americans. They will sell their guns to anyone they can legally sell them to and they will work on their ability to sell them to who they can't legally sell to. They don't care. It's only money and and has nothing to do with the good of this country. Their only truth is whats good for them. No one else. There is no honor driving the NRA or their followers.

May 2018
none
They are holding hands , getting money and free trips by this countries biggest enemy's. My opinion they care little about the second, other then the fact that it is there money maker and power point. It is all dollars and cents, in my opinion, Its a 100% billfold issue. . The corporate gun money has control of this group and no one can tell me they are good Americans. They will sell their guns to anyone they can legally sell them to and they will work on their ability to sell them to who they can't legally sell to. They don't care. It's only money and and has nothing to do with the good of this country. Their only truth is whats good for them. No one else. There is no honor driving the NRA or their followers.
Unfortunately, it's been that way for a very long time. The NRA used to be a decent organization- in the 70s. Now they're just a bunch of right wing nutcases. It hasn't been about guns for a very long time.

BTW, do you have a link to the article, or can you quote it?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
As I was in my car this morning I caught a segment on CBC radio about the NRA centered around Wayne LaPierre's corruption but it brought up two things I hadn't realized. First, they claim that even into the 80s, the NRA were against widespread availability of handguns. Can anyone corroborate that?

And secondly, the recently retired (fired?) president, Oliver North is the same as the famous Iran-Contra guy. I don't know why that surprises me so much, it's just that I mostly just ignore the NRA and it never clicked in my mind.

May 2019
USA
As I was in my car this morning I caught a segment on CBC radio about the NRA centered around Wayne LaPierre's corruption but it brought up two things I hadn't realized. First, they claim that even into the 80s, the NRA were against widespread availability of handguns. Can anyone corroborate that?

And secondly, the recently retired (fired?) president, Oliver North is the same as the famous Iran-Contra guy. I don't know why that surprises me so much, it's just that I mostly just ignore the NRA and it never clicked in my mind.
I think back in the 1960's they were involved in some gun control type legislation. They helped craft legislation regarding no allowing felons and such to own handguns. The problem with the NRA is they do not get out in front of anything. They are constantly defeating bills, which means they are playing defense. You are a chump if you think the NRA is doing its best for your interests as a gun owner. Because they are not. If the NRA would get out in front and start introducing legislation that makes sense then that would put the gun grabbers back on the defensive. The first thing the NRA needs to do is come up with a gun registration plan for all firearms. That would silence and mute virtually all the anti-gun arguments in one fail sweep. They can not do it though. They are to radicalized

Reactions: GluteusMaximus
May 2018
USA
That will change because they will be replaced with a conservative voice that has a patriot in it.
Don't hold your breath. The conservatives are too concerned with forcing women to have rape babies now to care about corruption in the NRA or with the NRA using Russian money to illegally sponsor campaigns.

May 2018
USA

Yeah, the NRA used to be in favor of common sense gun laws. Now all they care about is money and shilling for rightwing politicians. It's disgusting. The amusing thing about the NRA is it's first president was, literally, the worst General the United States has ever produced, Ambrose Burnside. Burnside never won a battle, and indeed, managed to lose battles where he had an overwhelming tactical advantage. What I find humorous about that is the ORIGINAL purpose of the NRA was to espouse 1) firearm safety (seems soldiers were constantly accidentally shooting themselves even when not in battle) and 2) firearm accuracy: soldiers were generally lousy shots. The reason that is funny to me is it seems that the incompetent general formed the NRA to, essentially, place his failure as an officer on his troops for "not shooting straight" :D