A Random Thought on Social Policy & Poverty

Dec 2018
New England
With regard to poverty in America, here's my take on the reality many of us see:

1. There are those who are poor through infirmity, old age, bad luck, or other circumstances beyond their control. These circumstances have left them incapable of fully caring for themselves through no fault of their own, and they are deserving of our compassion and our charity.

2. There are also those who find themselves poor after years of laziness, bad lifestyle choices, and/or anti-social behavior. These people are otherwise capable of providing for themselves but, for one reason or another, have chosen not to. For these folks a swift kick in the rear is a far better service than is a taxpayer-funded handout.

What separates conservatives from most liberals on these matters are, first, conservatives acknowledge both realities; liberals generally will not, and second, conservatives seek remedies that attempt to discriminate between these two groups, and liberals almost never will.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Haaaa....Liberals don't have the good sense God gave a gnat? We the dimwitted Liberals just can't seem to see the difference between the poor unlucky and the poor lazy? Well, at least you (sort of) stated it politely.
Thanks for throwing us that bone, Nat.
AND ..... we're back to the hubris from the Right! It just never stops, does it? I would love to argue this point with you, but as usual, it would be a complete waste of my time. Your pre-conceived notions won't change.
I will say this.
Your generalizations are noted and millions of VERY educated Liberals with VERY high intelligence levels will continue to shake our heads at your unbelievable, tiresome bias.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
massachusetts
With regard to poverty in America, here's my take on the reality many of us see:

1. There are those who are poor through infirmity, old age, bad luck, or other circumstances beyond their control. These circumstances have left them incapable of fully caring for themselves through no fault of their own, and they are deserving of our compassion and our charity.

2. There are also those who find themselves poor after years of laziness, bad lifestyle choices, and/or anti-social behavior. These people are otherwise capable of providing for themselves but, for one reason or another, have chosen not to. For these folks a swift kick in the rear is a far better service than is a taxpayer-funded handout.

What separates conservatives from most liberals on these matters are, first, conservatives acknowledge both realities; liberals generally will not, and second, conservatives seek remedies that attempt to discriminate between these two groups, and liberals almost never will.
And how fortunate for conservatives, the two groups appear to them to be color coded....

Reactions: se7en and Clara007
Dec 2018
New England
And how fortunate for conservatives, the two groups appear to them to be color coded....
And here's an example, @Clara007. goober, a reflexive liberal if ever there was one, goes beyond mere disagreement with my assertions and plays the race card.

You folks aren't nearly as sophisticated as you fancy yourselves to be. Your responses are practically programmed.

Reactions: BondJmsBond
Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

Nat, are you familiar with that old adage about when you ASSUME something ?? You make and ASS out of U and ME ?? You're assumption is just wrong.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
And here's an example, @Clara007. goober, a reflexive liberal if ever there was one, goes beyond mere disagreement with my assertions and plays the race card.

You folks aren't nearly as sophisticated as you fancy yourselves to be. Your responses are practically programmed.
Really Nat.
Lets do a little experiment, close your eyes, imagine Reagan talking about a "Welfare Queen", quick, is she black or white?
Remember Reagan talking about someone who wouldn't work, someone he described as "a big strapping buck", is your mental image black or white?

When you think about someone who is poor through no fault of their own, black or white?
When you think about someone who is too lazy to work.....

How do you decide whether a person is just too lazy to work, or poor through no fault of their own?
I'll bet you can do it just by looking at them....

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
What's wrong about it?

The first assumption is that liberals are a monolithic block that all think, act and feel the exact same way. This is fairly common among the conservatives. The second is that we can't or can't see the difference between can't work and won't work.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I don't think anyone necessarily wants to live in poverty.

I'm curious what the poverty levels are in places where the minimum wage is still $7 as compared to places who have raised the minimum wage.