A Random Thought on Social Policy & Poverty

Dec 2018
New England
Really Nat.
Lets do a little experiment, close your eyes, imagine Reagan talking about a "Welfare Queen", quick, is she black or white?
Remember Reagan talking about someone who wouldn't work, someone he described as "a big strapping buck", is your mental image black or white?

When you think about someone who is poor through no fault of their own, black or white?
When you think about someone who is too lazy to work.....

How do you decide whether a person is just too lazy to work, or poor through no fault of their own?
I'll bet you can do it just by looking at them....
goober, you've already made my point for me. There's no need to 'talk through the sale.'

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
With regard to poverty in America, here's my take on the reality many of us see:

1. There are those who are poor through infirmity, old age, bad luck, or other circumstances beyond their control. These circumstances have left them incapable of fully caring for themselves through no fault of their own, and they are deserving of our compassion and our charity.

2. There are also those who find themselves poor after years of laziness, bad lifestyle choices, and/or anti-social behavior. These people are otherwise capable of providing for themselves but, for one reason or another, have chosen not to. For these folks a swift kick in the rear is a far better service than is a taxpayer-funded handout.

What separates conservatives from most liberals on these matters are, first, conservatives acknowledge both realities; liberals generally will not, and second, conservatives seek remedies that attempt to discriminate between these two groups, and liberals almost never will.
The primary difference between the two situations is how much each is weighted by political ideas. Conservatives tend to assume the 2nd predominates and think that the children or dependents of "lazy people" are also guilty of the same inertia. The unspoken factor affecting the conservative view is that someone somewhere might be getting something that they did not earn. Interestingly that concern is only directed at the poor.

Reactions: BubbaJones
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
I don't think anyone necessarily wants to live in poverty.

I'm curious what the poverty levels are in places where the minimum wage is still $7 as compared to places who have raised the minimum wage.
Poverty is highly desirable. In fact, those who inherit great wealth try very hard to become poor.

Reactions: Clara007 and se7en
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Also, I want to mention that this is not a "random thought on social policy" as it has been part of your political ideology and comments here on DTT for a long time. It is not an objective question you pose for honest discussion but a founding principle that is likely held closely by you because it feeds into your conservative view of the world.
I suspect it is linked to the additional, parallel conservative ideas such as "everything I achieved is solely do to my effort and not circumstance and good luck" or "everyone can escape poverty if only they would work harder" and "poverty is a deserved circumstance, as is wealth"

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2018
New England
Also, I want to mention that this is not a "random thought on social policy" as it has been part of your political ideology and comments here on DTT for a long time. It is not an objective question you pose for honest discussion but a founding principle that is likely held closely by you because it feeds into your conservative view of the world.
I suspect it is linked to the additional, parallel conservative ideas such as "everything I achieved is solely do to my effort and not circumstance and good luck" or "everyone can escape poverty if only they would work harder" and "poverty is a deserved circumstance, as is wealth"
But do you agree with it, yes or no?

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains

But do you agree with it, yes or no?
The dichotomy turns on individual will and is flawed fundamentally. It presumes that poverty is identical to "non-poverty" except for will. Poverty is inherently an obstacle to accomplishment beyond the financial aspect or personal effort-- childcare, transportation, schooling, healhcare, activities of daily living, etc.are all harder than they would be for those who are not poor. So, providing these services ALONE does not solve the issue of poverty disadvantage. The problem is complex. The poor go to poor schools, live in decrepit or dangerous housing, live in communities without markets, reliable transportation, or safe streets.

Dec 2018
New England
I don't think anyone necessarily wants to live in poverty.

I'm curious what the poverty levels are in places where the minimum wage is still $7 as compared to places who have raised the minimum wage.
It's not so much wanting to live in poverty but rather, in some cases, not wanting to do things that prevent one from falling into poverty.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
It's not so much wanting to live in poverty but rather, in some cases, not wanting to do things that prevent one from falling into poverty.
Things like inheriting 400 million from your father, that sort of thing?
So to be fair, we should have a 100% estate tax, to give everyone the opportunity to make it on their own....