A re-evaluation of the weather, looks better than before.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I suspect that you didn't read the whole thing. In fact, all he is saying is what is well known. The worst and best estimates are both wrong and the most probable outcome is something in the middle. Still bad but better than worst case.

The other thing he says is that the main reason the high end of estimates are probably wrong is that utilization and expansion of renewables is higher than was thought it would be.

Greenies 1, deniers 0.

Jul 2019
Georgia
I cleaned off my back deck this morning in my boxers and a t-shirt. on December 28

my son was riding through the woods without a shirt on. today.

we usually get a warm snap in the middle of winter these days (usually around Christmas) which is great for outdoor cleanup and playing, but naw it ain't right. I shouldn't be able to clean my back deck off in my underwear and not be cold on December 28

Feb 2007
USA
But even a 3 C global surface temperature anomaly by 2100 puts the Earth's climate in the Pliocene Epoch zone, so to speak.

And during that time period between, say, three and five million years ago, atmospheric CO2 concentration is thought to have been around 400 ppm on average.

However, today's concentration is already around 412 ppm...with that figure quite likely to increase further still between today and 2100.

Thus, it is possible that projected 3 C figure by 2100 is actually on the low end, comparing today's era versus the Pliocene epoch era with regards to just temperature and CO2 concentration.

All this said, it is the rate of change over the course of just a couple of centuries that is most concerning since ecosystems don't tend to respond very easily to such dramatic change in climate.

• Sad
Reactions: tecoyah and Lyzza
Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
I recommend anyone in denial of what is happening take a vacation to Australia to "Enjoy" their beautiful summer season. Or you can just wait a few months to enjoy it when it gets here. I am simply planning on a replanting extravaganza because the planting zones have changed and I can now use plants that are not cold tolerant.

Feb 2007
USA
Moreover, the following is a graphical representation of the biomes that were thought to exist during the tail end of the Pliocene Epoch.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliocene_climate

Notice how different from today the biomes in North America were during that period of time, particularly in the lower forty-eight US states region of the continent?

Indeed, a desert existed in the middle Mid-West, grassland and savanna existed where there now is desert in the Southwest, while savanna and grasslands extended east of the Mississippi thru the Mid-Atlantic states region.

(Heck, there were equally rather significant differences in biomes across the globe, when compared with today's biomes, such as grasslands existing in what is today the Saharan desert in Africa and the Arabian desert on the Arabian Peninsula.)

Now, of course, this doesn't mean that by 2100 AD those regions in the US will share those exact same biomes as are thought to have existed during the late Pliocene Epoch. But, comparing the biomes that are thought to have existed during that earlier period 3+ millions of years ago with today's biomes in those regions helps highlight the stresses today's biomes will be under as the Earth's climate changes during such a dramatically short time period.

Reactions: se7en
Jul 2014
massachusetts
Perhaps they protest too much?
You're right, you guys won, we're completely fucked, well, not us, but our children and grandchildren...congratulations

You've run out the clock, we're screwed, what next? Free cigarettes for high schoolers? Heroin samples?
Put the lead back in gasoline?

Reactions: se7en and tecoyah
Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
You're right, you guys won, we're completely fucked, well, not us, but our children and grandchildren...congratulations

You've run out the clock, we're screwed, what next? Free cigarettes for high schoolers? Heroin samples?
Put the lead back in gasoline?
It wont really matter, they wont even be around to hear their offspring curse them as bastards. Thing is we wont either....and apparently the deniers outnumber the believers and have the power/money to do whatever they want. In my opinion we can only sit back and watch until we die.....so now is the time to enjoy life while you can and apologize to your kids proactively.