A shift in communication

Apr 2013
Left coast
Imaginethat said something in a thread that really hit home.

Imaginethat said:
Good point. Forgive me if I only watched about 3 of 14 minutes of that you tuber's comments. I'm positive what he has to say could be said in print in a one-minute read.... People don't like reading I guess, but it's a far more efficient method for me considering I read about 8-10 times as fast as people talk.
I wholeheartedly agree. And it is something I have become more and more worried about. Watching cut cat videos on Youtube is one thing but more and more video is intruding into all news media and related. It is, IMO inefficient and wastes my time.

The BBC and the CBC are using more and more video. At first I thought that might be a cost function in that they already have many of those videos made for their TV programs. But NASCAR.com is going that way too. And so are many more media.

Schools have quit teaching cursive writing. Fine, computers and smartphones have taken over so it isn't so important now. I don't have a problem with that.

But dammit, reading is needed. I don't want laws to be based on some talking head speaking into a video camera.

It is a trend that scares me. Any comments?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
You realize that they are audio too, right?

Listening is much more efficient.

Welcome to the future.

Btw what is the point of teaching kids cursive? I am pretty sure that was the moment i knew for sure that public school was mostly bullshit. Learn how to write this ancient language that nobody uses any more...because it is....faster? Do you still write checks for your tv dinners and canned veggies too?

Apr 2013
Left coast
Listening is not more efficient. As IT said, people talk at about 1/10th the rate people can read.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Listening is not more efficient. As IT said, people talk at about 1/10th the rate people can read.

I can listen to things as i do other thing. When i read something it requires my full attention. I listen to a number of different things and people. Almost all day long. If i find something that particularly strikes my interest i can go back and check sources, cross reference exc. Far, far more efficient.

Since i just got done posting this definition

ef·fi·cient
/əˈfiSHənt/
adjective
  1. (especially of a system or machine) achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I can listen to things as i do other thing. When i read something it requires my full attention. I listen to a number of different things and people. Almost all day long. If i find something that particularly strikes my interest i can go back and check sources, cross reference exc. Far, far more efficient.

Since i just got done posting this definition

ef·fi·cient
/əˈfiSHənt/
adjective
  1. (especially of a system or machine) achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.

That might work for lollipop Youtube videos or fun time podcasts. But trying to absorb something of consequence requires attention.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I’m all for communicating and gaining information through YouTube. However I’m not giving an ounce of credit to some random youtubers video unless I know they’re a credible source. Just because you buy a microphone, headphones, and video editing for dummies doesn’t make you knowledgeable.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Yeah think about it. I could read with full attention the audio content of a 30 minute YouTube in 3 minutes.

I detest this trend to report stories with the written word layered over a video of something. Sometimes it's entertaining, but the stories are way too digested for my taste. But they are seductive.

Jun 2013
Ohio
Video has it’s place. Don the Con claims that the Democrats shut down the government. It is a damning indictment to play the video of Schumer and Pelosi meeting with the con man in the Oval Office in which the con man says that he will “proudly” shut down the government and the shut down was his doing. Powerful indictment to hear the words.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Video has it’s place. Don the Con claims that the Democrats shut down the government. It is a damning indictment to play the video of Schumer and Pelosi meeting with the con man in the Oval Office in which the con man says that he will “proudly” shut down the government and the shut down was his doing. Powerful indictment to hear the words.
I agree, but there needs to be adequate text to allow me to decide if the video would be probative or not.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
That might work for lollipop Youtube videos or fun time podcasts. But trying to absorb something of consequence requires attention.
Of course. I listen to everything from books on tape to news to mit lectures throughout the day.