A simple question for discussion.....

Sep 2016
Oregon
I do think it has gone down hill, in teaching the use of individual brains to read, write and do math. I wonder how many tests would be passed, without the use of a computer/adding machine. There are many store clerks that can not make change depend on the cash register to do it.

It seems social ills or programs are stressed and a lot of"how to" on sex, which sure has not helped with teen pregnancy nor single mothers, and the problems that produces.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I do think it has gone down hill, in teaching the use of individual brains to read, write and do math. I wonder how many tests would be passed, without the use of a computer/adding machine. There are many store clerks that can not make change depend on the cash register to do it.

It seems social ills or programs are stressed and a lot of"how to" on sex, which sure has not helped with teen pregnancy nor single mothers, and the problems that produces.
Not helped with teen pregnancy? Teen Pregnancy rates are down SIGNIFICANTLY since 1990!

https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolesc...-pregnancy-and-childbearing/trends/index.html

Last edited:
Apr 2013
Left coast

And you know what, they don't even teach the kids how to harness a pair of plow horses anymore, either.

And in fact the total opposite is true about sex ed.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado

Teen pregnancies:

Dec 2015
Arizona
Of course public ed is in trouble for all kinds of reasons:

*Teachers leaving in droves
* U.S. priorities suck
*Broken families
*Exorbitant testing
*Killing fields
*Betsy DeVos
*Crumbling grounds and buildings
*Lack of funding

Just to name a few and Charter Schools (which are public schools) are also in trouble.