Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn’t Say)

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn’t Say) Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn’t Say) It’s hard to ask biblical texts the modern question, “when does human life begin?” because the Bible has a very different understanding of human reproduction.

The Bible doesn’t talk about abortion, but it does say when a human being’s life begins.
Genesis 2:7 is clearest. The first human became a “living being” (nefesh hayah, “a living breath”) when God blew into its nostrils and it started to breathe. Human life begins when you start breathing, biblical writers thought. It ends when you stop. That’s why the Hebrew word often translated “spirit” (ruah) — “life force” might be a better translation — literally means “wind” or “breath.”
But what about babies in the womb?

A few passages talk about someone called by God before birth: “The LORD called me from the womb. From the innermost parts of my mother, God named me ... and said to me, ‘You are my servant Israel, in whom I’ll be glorified” (Isaiah 49:1-3).
Here, the one called is the nation Israel, not an individual. A nation of course can’t occupy a womb. The language is figurative not literal. It isn’t describing prenatal biology or pinpointing when human life begins. It’s affirming God’s power and Israel’s calling to a special mission in the world.

Other passages make the same point by saying someone’s called by God before they’re even conceived (Genesis 18:9; 1 Samuel 1:17; Luke 1:31). I’ve not heard anyone make the case, based on these texts, that human life begins before conception.

The only verses I know that address the legal status of “seed” in the womb come in a brief section of case law.
Exodus 21:22-25 describes a case where a pregnant woman jumps into a fight between her husband and another man and suffers injuries that cause her to miscarry. Injuries to the woman prompt the normal penalties for harming another human being: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life. Killing the woman is murder, a capital crime.
The miscarriage is treated differently, however — as property loss, not murder. The assailant must pay a fine to the husband. The law of a life for a life does not apply. The fetus is important, but it’s not human life in the same way the pregnant woman is.
My impression is that most Americans have a more nuanced and conservative view than the Bible does on this, though we’re getting at the same idea: an important moral and legal line is crossed when the fetus can survive outside the womb.
For the Bible, that’s when a child is born and starts breathing. For many of us today, it’s when a fetus becomes “viable” — somewhere between 21 and 27 weeks into the pregnancy, thanks to our amazing medical technology.

Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn't Say) | HuffPost

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn’t Say) Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn’t Say) It’s hard to ask biblical texts the modern question, “when does human life begin?” because the Bible has a very different understanding of human reproduction.

The Bible doesn’t talk about abortion, but it does say when a human being’s life begins.
Genesis 2:7 is clearest. The first human became a “living being” (nefesh hayah, “a living breath”) when God blew into its nostrils and it started to breathe. Human life begins when you start breathing, biblical writers thought. It ends when you stop. That’s why the Hebrew word often translated “spirit” (ruah) — “life force” might be a better translation — literally means “wind” or “breath.”

A few passages talk about someone called by God before birth: “The LORD called me from the womb. From the innermost parts of my mother, God named me ... and said to me, ‘You are my servant Israel, in whom I’ll be glorified” (Isaiah 49:1-3).
Here, the one called is the nation Israel, not an individual. A nation of course can’t occupy a womb. The language is figurative not literal. It isn’t describing prenatal biology or pinpointing when human life begins. It’s affirming God’s power and Israel’s calling to a special mission in the world.

Other passages make the same point by saying someone’s called by God before they’re even conceived (Genesis 18:9; 1 Samuel 1:17; Luke 1:31). I’ve not heard anyone make the case, based on these texts, that human life begins before conception.

The only verses I know that address the legal status of “seed” in the womb come in a brief section of case law.
Exodus 21:22-25 describes a case where a pregnant woman jumps into a fight between her husband and another man and suffers injuries that cause her to miscarry. Injuries to the woman prompt the normal penalties for harming another human being: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life. Killing the woman is murder, a capital crime.
The miscarriage is treated differently, however — as property loss, not murder. The assailant must pay a fine to the husband. The law of a life for a life does not apply. The fetus is important, but it’s not human life in the same way the pregnant woman is.
My impression is that most Americans have a more nuanced and conservative view than the Bible does on this, though we’re getting at the same idea: an important moral and legal line is crossed when the fetus can survive outside the womb.
For the Bible, that’s when a child is born and starts breathing. For many of us today, it’s when a fetus becomes “viable” — somewhere between 21 and 27 weeks into the pregnancy, thanks to our amazing medical technology.

Abortion: What the Bible Says (and Doesn't Say) | HuffPost
No mention of abortion in The Bible but your Seed is mentioned, do not put your seed on the ground which means don't jack off.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
No mention of abortion in The Bible but your Seed is mentioned, do not put your seed on the ground which means don't jack off.
Ah, I do remember that story from Southern Baptist Bible School when I was a kid. God suppossedly told some old guy in the OT to get a certain woman pregnant. I don't remember who or why.
The guy did not want to, for whatever reason, so he whacked off instead. God got pissed at him for it and punished him somehow.
Any idiot can see that what God was pissed off about the guy disobeyed his orders. Whacking off was just HOW he did it.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Ah, I do remember that story from Southern Baptist Bible School when I was a kid. God suppossedly told some old guy in the OT to get a certain woman pregnant. I don't remember who or why.
The guy did not want to, for whatever reason, so he whacked off instead. God got pissed at him for it and punished him somehow.
Any idiot can see that what God was pissed off about the guy disobeyed his orders. Whacking off was just HOW he did it.

What? I get the basics of the story wrong or something???
Someone please correct me if I did. It's not as if I'm a Bible scholar.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
just shows how absurd chritianity is if you take it litterally, what sort of idiot does that?

Reactions: Hollywood