Absolutely Disgusting

Dec 2018
New England
I think this has to be one of the most disgusting things to come out of the GOP, except for maybe Trump himself. This is open racism. I'm almost surprised no one has commented on it yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/02/politics/west-virginia-ilhan-omar-poster/index.html
From the story: "The state GOP denounced the sign, saying that an exhibitor had put it up without its knowledge and that it demanded its removal ... Omar, a Minnesota Democrat ... branded it as 'the GOP's anti-Muslim display.'"

Considering there's no evidence this was anything other than a kook and that the officials in charge publicly denounced the poster it would appear Omar is attempting to benefit from it. A real leader might have said "This poster was reprehensible, and I congratulate my political opponents for recognizing that this type of racism has no place in American politics."

By she, like you, is attempting to score political points with it. There's another active thread in the forum on how polarized is state of our politics, and here you see an example of of it from a racist nitwit nobody and a freshmen congresswoman more interested in opportunism than calming the waters.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
From the story: "The state GOP denounced the sign, saying that an exhibitor had put it up without its knowledge and that it demanded its removal ... Omar, a Minnesota Democrat ... branded it as 'the GOP's anti-Muslim display.'"

Considering there's no evidence this was anything other than a kook and that the officials in charge publicly denounced the poster it would appear Omar is attempting to benefit from it. A real leader might have said "This poster was reprehensible, and I congratulate my political opponents for recognizing that this type of racism has no place in American politics."

By she, like you, is attempting to score political points with it. There's another active thread in the forum on how polarized is state of our politics, and here you see an example of of it from a racist nitwit nobody and a freshmen congresswoman more interested in opportunism than calming the waters.

With the current neanderthal in chief occupying the oval office I guess we shouldn't be surprised that someone thought they could get away with such a display. This is what Trump has wrought. At least one person has now resigned over their defense of said poster. Of course the GOP is backpedaling as fast as it can. There are certain boundaries that just can't be crossed. But that doesn't seem to stop many Trump supporters from trying.

Dec 2018
New England
With the current neanderthal in chief occupying the oval office I guess we shouldn't be surprised that someone thought they could get away with such a display. This is what Trump has wrought. At least one person has now resigned over their defense of said poster. Of course the GOP is backpedaling as fast as it can. There are certain boundaries that just can't be crossed. But that doesn't seem to stop many Trump supporters from trying.
Just curious. Are you among those lamenting how polarizing our political discourse has become?

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.

They were fine with it right up untill the time a pic was taken of it and it's existence was made public.
THEN they denounced it, ONLY then.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Just curious. Are you among those lamenting how polarizing our political discourse has become?

Of course I am. There is of course plenty of incivility in our general discourse to go around. However in my humble opinion, as someone that grew up Republican, voted and supported the Republican party for much of my life, I have watched in horror as the party I once supported has devolved into the meanest, most base, most crass, cruel and boorish group of people ever assembled. The irony is that after getting in bed with the religious right they seemed to have given up all traces of humanity. At the same time, as Goldwater warned us, they have adopted the notion they are doing "God's work" and therefore feel no real need to compromise. Even when the Republicans took over congress in the 94 elections while there were certainly differences I never saw the "all or nothing" attitude. I thought in all we did pretty well under Clinton and the Repubs in congress. Except for that whole impeachment over a blow job thing. I didn't dislike Bush. I wasn't impressed by him, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. At least until he decided to drag us into Iraq, which I knew would be in terms of time and expense worse than Vietnam. However under Bush was a man named Karl Rove. Rove is who first threatened corporate donors. At the time most would give generously to the party they supported but would always give something to the opposition party, just in case. Rove changed that narrative. He made it an "either or" choice. Us or them, period. This was the beginning of the more serious divide. Then along came Obama. The Republicans made no bones about the fact, even as the minority party, they intended to be total obstructionists, block any and every moved by Obama, then "blame the democrats" for "not getting anything done". Even during Watergate and Nixon I don't remember the unbridled rancor, the absolute open hatred of a president that I saw under Obama. Even my very conservative mother said that in her almost 90 years on the planet she never saw the raw hatred that seemed to become public nature. Now we have Trump. I simply can't imagine a more divisive and polarizing individual than Trump. I can't for the life of me rationalize how so many other wise decent people can support him ?? Just on the lies alone.

As I said there's plenty of blame to go around. But in the current climate, I do lay more of the blame on the Republicans, which as I said I used to support. I am no bleeding heart liberal. But the Republican party has turned into something I do not recognize and simply cannot support. To me it seems the repubs have shifted for more to the right, than the dems have to the left.

Just my humble thoughts.

Feb 2019
here and there

That coming from someone who makes anti-Semitic comments is rich.

I guess the difference is, when Republicans have someone like this go off the rails, they tell them to step down. However, when someone like Omar has been condemned of making anti-Semitic remarks they don't demand she step down.

Being a Dem means never having to say your sorry about anything...........ever.

Feb 2019
here and there
Of course I am. There is of course plenty of incivility in our general discourse to go around. However in my humble opinion, as someone that grew up Republican, voted and supported the Republican party for much of my life, I have watched in horror as the party I once supported has devolved into the meanest, most base, most crass, cruel and boorish group of people ever assembled. The irony is that after getting in bed with the religious right they seemed to have given up all traces of humanity. At the same time, as Goldwater warned us, they have adopted the notion they are doing "God's work" and therefore feel no real need to compromise. Even when the Republicans took over congress in the 94 elections while there were certainly differences I never saw the "all or nothing" attitude. I thought in all we did pretty well under Clinton and the Repubs in congress. Except for that whole impeachment over a blow job thing. I didn't dislike Bush. I wasn't impressed by him, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. At least until he decided to drag us into Iraq, which I knew would be in terms of time and expense worse than Vietnam. However under Bush was a man named Karl Rove. Rove is who first threatened corporate donors. At the time most would give generously to the party they supported but would always give something to the opposition party, just in case. Rove changed that narrative. He made it an "either or" choice. Us or them, period. This was the beginning of the more serious divide. Then along came Obama. The Republicans made no bones about the fact, even as the minority party, they intended to be total obstructionists, block any and every moved by Obama, then "blame the democrats" for "not getting anything done". Even during Watergate and Nixon I don't remember the unbridled rancor, the absolute open hatred of a president that I saw under Obama. Even my very conservative mother said that in her almost 90 years on the planet she never saw the raw hatred that seemed to become public nature. Now we have Trump. I simply can't imagine a more divisive and polarizing individual than Trump. I can't for the life of me rationalize how so many other wise decent people can support him ?? Just on the lies alone.

As I said there's plenty of blame to go around. But in the current climate, I do lay more of the blame on the Republicans, which as I said I used to support. I am no bleeding heart liberal. But the Republican party has turned into something I do not recognize and simply cannot support. To me it seems the repubs have shifted for more to the right, than the dems have to the left.

Just my humble thoughts.
This hurt my head just reading it.

The Democrat party is one of the most divisive and evil entities I have ever witnessed. Everyone either agrees with them or they are a racist or bigot, or misogynist, or stupid, or extremist, etc. In fact, no other group of people I can ever recall has been so preoccupied with race since the Nazi regime.

Here you had a President in Obama who would not utter the words, "Islamic terrorist, because he did not want people to take their anger out on innocent Muslims.

However, with a case like Ferguson, he would stroke the racist flames as he would imply that law enforcement and the judicial system were all racist while innocent white police officers were being assassinated all over the country.

Disgusting.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
This hurt my head just reading it.

The Democrat party is one of the most divisive and evil entities I have ever witnessed. Everyone either agrees with them or they are a racist or bigot, or misogynist, or stupid, or extremist, etc. In fact, no other group of people I can ever recall has been so preoccupied with race since the Nazi regime.

Here you had a President in Obama who would not utter the words, "Islamic terrorist, because he did not want people to take their anger out on innocent Muslims.

However, with a case like Ferguson, he would stroke the racist flames as he would imply that law enforcement and the judicial system were all racist while innocent white police officers were being assassinated all over the country.

Disgusting.

And you sir have just proven my point !