Academic journals are caught up in massive hoax involving 20 FAKE papers on 'dog rape culture'

Nov 2012
Kekistan
Academic journals have been caught up in a massive hoax involving 20 fake papers.

Researchers published fake and convoluted papers on 'dog rape culture', 'a conceptual penis' and even re-wrote a chapter of Mein Kampf.

Their aim was to expose how 'absurdities' get published in legitimate peer-reviewed academic papers due to a lack of critical review.

In total the team of three researchers wrote 20 hoax papers on a field of study loosely defined as 'grievance studies'.

These papers – seven of which were accepted and four published online – were based on just 'nutty or inhumane' ideas that they ran with.

The authors claim their prank shows that higher education's fixation with identity politics has created 'absurd and horrific' scholarship, according to an in-depth piece by Wall Street Journal.

Academic journals are caught up in massive hoax involving 20 FAKE papers | Daily Mail Online
I saw this a few days ago, and had forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up. I like the video of the guy reciting Hitler to a lefist protest group and they were applauding him. I should find that one again.

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
Yet another mindless retort that doesn't respond to one iota of what was actually said.

What conclusion was jumped to?

Claims like this expose how you are trying to generalize this one example onto the whole and that's nonsense.

All you've exposed is that there are some scientific journals which do not do adequate review. That's it.
Trying to pretend that proves the whole is bad is a bad generalization fallacy attempt.

Considering he ignores the actual substance of factual responses, it's rather hypocritical of Sabcat...
Did you look at there papers?

Into their study?

Or just dismiss it because, well that is the MO of the modern American leftists?

Nov 2005
California
Did you look at there papers?
Into their study?
Yes to both.
Have you looked at a single word I said?
Can you point to anything that study says which needs to be pointed out that contradicts my statements?

Sabcat, this trolling crap you pull is painfully obvious...

Dec 2013
Yes to both.
Have you looked at a single word I said?
Can you point to anything that study says which needs to be pointed out that contradicts my statements?

I know, yet you continue.

They have clearly exposed the cultural Marxism garbage for what it is.

The pure trolling and avoidance on the topic itself is just more evidence.

Nov 2005
California
I know, yet you continue.
I respond to refute your nonsense, regardless of your trolling nature.
Your intellectual cowardice is not a deterrant for my speaking the truth.

They have clearly exposed the cultural Marxism garbage for what it is.
As I have already explained, this is a bullspit assessment.
SOME journals are garbage. This is recognized in academia.

Not all academic journals are created equally. SOME are pure crap. Academia understands and recognizes this.
The headline says "Academic Journals are caught up in ..."
That's like pointing to a scandal in a church and saying "Christians are guilty of ..."

ANYBODY can put together a "scientific journal". (By analogy, anybody can make a church as well...)
The real interesting item is THEY ARE RANKED within academia based on various standards.
The article mentions an academic journal: Gender, Place & Culture
Gender, Place, and Culture
H index = 55
SJR bouncing around a pathetic rating of 1

Now look at the main page for academic journal ratings
SJR : Scientific Journal Rankings
H index and SJR ratings much higher for real and reputable academic journals.

You don't even find an academic journal rated below 1 until you get to #4372 on the list.

If you want something comparable, try judging religion by how easy it is to make a church. :rolleyes:
A televangelist wants his followers to pay for a $54 million private jet. It’s his fourth plane.

The pure trolling and avoidance on the topic itself is just more evidence.
I agree that such actions are evidence of trolling.
Can you point to what I have avoided?
No. You cannot.
On the flip side, I have just repeated what I said earlier which you have avoided.

The thing I have come to recognize about trolls such as yourself is that you want to drag it down to a mindless "is not" / "is too" type level.
Repeating the facts and documenting the basis for those facts helps expose your trolling nature while I repeatedly document what you cannot respond to.

Dec 2013
I respond to refute your nonsense, regardless of your trolling nature.
Your intellectual cowardice is not a deterrant for my speaking the truth.

As I have already explained, this is a bullspit assessment.
SOME journals are garbage. This is recognized in academia.

Not all academic journals are created equally. SOME are pure crap. Academia understands and recognizes this.
The headline says "Academic Journals are caught up in ..."
That's like pointing to a scandal in a church and saying "Christians are guilty of ..."

ANYBODY can put together a "scientific journal". (By analogy, anybody can make a church as well...)
The real interesting item is THEY ARE RANKED within academia based on various standards.
The article mentions an academic journal: Gender, Place & Culture
Gender, Place, and Culture
H index = 55
SJR bouncing around a pathetic rating of 1

Now look at the main page for academic journal ratings
SJR : Scientific Journal Rankings
H index and SJR ratings much higher for real and reputable academic journals.

You don't even find an academic journal rated below 1 until you get to #4372 on the list.

If you want something comparable, try judging religion by how easy it is to make a church. :rolleyes:
A televangelist wants his followers to pay for a $54 million private jet. It’s his fourth plane.

I agree that such actions are evidence of trolling.
Can you point to what I have avoided?
No. You cannot.
On the flip side, I have just repeated what I said earlier which you have avoided.

The thing I have come to recognize about trolls such as yourself is that you want to drag it down to a mindless "is not" / "is too" type level.
Repeating the facts and documenting the basis for those facts helps expose your trolling nature while I repeatedly document what you cannot respond to.
The funny thing is i don't think that you looked into their study. You just attacked the source then went on some little rant about this journal and that then said something about churches because, well you enjoy trying to reframe the argument.

This essay, although hopefully accessible to everyone, is the most thorough breakdown of the study and written for those who are already somewhat familiar with the problems of ideologically-motivated scholarship, radical skepticism and cultural constructivism.

Part I: Introduction

Something has gone wrong in the university—especially in certain fields within the humanities. Scholarship based less upon finding truth and more upon attending to social grievances has become firmly established, if not fully dominant, within these fields, and their scholars increasingly bully students, administrators, and other departments into adhering to their worldview. This worldview is not scientific, and it is not rigorous. For many, this problem has been growing increasingly obvious, but strong evidence has been lacking. For this reason, the three of us just spent a year working inside the scholarship we see as an intrinsic part of this problem.

We spent that time writing academic papers and publishing them in respected peer-reviewed journals associated with fields of scholarship loosely known as “cultural studies” or “identity studies” (for example, gender studies) or “critical theory” because it is rooted in that postmodern brand of “theory” which arose in the late sixties. As a result of this work, we have come to call these fields “grievance studies” in shorthand because of their common goal of problematizing aspects of culture in minute detail in order to attempt diagnoses of power imbalances and oppression rooted in identity.

Academic Grievance Studies and the Corruption of Scholarship - Areo

Academic Grievance Studies and the Corruption of Scholarship - Areo

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Like this is news??

Look at all the published papers denying climate change.

Look at all the papers published supporting climate change that the models in those papers missed their projections.

While the models in the "Denier" were correct.

But then again your whole post is a lie 1/2 Truth is a 100% Lie.. You see the people you call DENIERS have not denied Climate has changed is changing and will continue to change..