Adoption and Foster Care in Crisis

Dec 2015
Arizona
A meme on Facebook caught my attention today: "The number of kids in foster care waiting for a family would almost fill 2 stadiums." Shocking statistics so I went looking for more information. Obviously, I haven't been paying close attention to this horrendous situation.

The most recent article is Chrisitan-based but please don't be turned off by that because the stats are real and frightening.
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – America's opioid crisis is literally driving children from their homes and faith leaders are looking for creative ways to respond.
The government says the number of children in foster care shot up by 10 percent from 397,000 in 2012 to 437,500 in 2016.
At the end of Fiscal Year 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services reported more growth – 443,000 children in the system.
Naomi Schaefer Riley, an American Enterprise Institute fellow who studies child welfare, says the trend reverses what had been a decline for much of the late 90s and 2000s, following a peak in the 1980s driven by the crack epidemic.
She and a number of experts believe that the opioid crisis is helping to drive the growing number of children unable to stay in their homes.

The Need for Foster Parents
"It's the largest driver right now in the US for foster care," says Chris Palusky, CEO for Grand Rapids-based Bethany Christian Services. "we're seeing this opioid crisis just grow and it's causing families to be separated and it's also causing kids to be born into addiction."

The adoption situation isn't much better.
How long does the average child spend in the foster care system?
More than 60% of children in foster care spend two to five years in the system before being adopted. Almost 20% spend five or more years in foster care before being adopted. Some never get adopted.

How many children are waiting to be adopted in the United States?
Of the over 400,000 children in foster care in the U.S., 114,556 cannot be returned to their families and are waiting to be adopted. Among these children, males outnumber females, African American children are disproportionately represented, and over half are 6 years old or older.

How many Americans have adopted a child?
Although no more than 2% of Americans have actually adopted, more than 1/3 have considered it.
International adoptions are becoming more complicated and costly.

Adoption Statistics | Adoption Network

Of adoptions finalized in the last two years, international adoptions cost an average of $44,000; U.S. newborn adoptions cost an average of $40,000. Read on for detailed findings.

How Much Does It Cost to Adopt a Child? Adoption Cost & Timing Report

Is there a solution?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Faith leaders might start by not discriminating against gay parents looking to adopt. But we know they're not going to do that. If they ever do, they might have my support. Until then, they are contributing to the problem.
This type of discrimination is shameful. Here's an idea. Let's do what's best for kids and if adoptive parents can provide a loving, stable home then lifestyle choices shouldn't matter. Single parents should be able to adopt. Transgenders should be able to adopt. Adoption should be based on the ability of the parents to provide a good life---a good education--healthy, happy childhood.

May 2018
Chicago
This type of discrimination is shameful. Here's an idea. Let's do what's best for kids and if adoptive parents can provide a loving, stable home then lifestyle choices shouldn't matter. Single parents should be able to adopt. Transgenders should be able to adopt. Adoption should be based on the ability of the parents to provide a good life---a good education--healthy, happy childhood.
Agreed. here's a link with some good stats:

LGBT Adoption Statistics | Gay Adoption | Same Sex Adoption

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I've brought this up during the abortion debates. The anti choice crowd always insists adoption is an alternative to abortion. To which I have always replied ONLY true if the baby is new born, white and healthy. If it's brown, older or has any sort of health or developmental issues it stays in the foster care system. There are an estimated 30 million evangelical Christians in this country. If just 1.5 percent of them would adopt or become foster parents there wouldn't be a crisis. Yet they are the ones that insist gays and lesbians can't adopt. Of course these are the same people who complain about the size of welfare state too. They have this love affair with the unborn fetus, but once it's a real, living, breathing human being they just don't give a shit. Just another welfare mouth to feed. Shame on it's mother for having sex !!!

Jun 2013
USA TN
lets not forget that the criminals who work for CPS get a bonus for every child they take and they get another bonus if that child is adopted. CPS is a crooked organization who steals kids out of good families with flimsy or made-up evidence. THEY need to be investigated!!

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
lets not forget that the criminals who work for CPS get a bonus for every child they take and they get another bonus if that child is adopted. CPS is a crooked organization who steals kids out of good families with flimsy or made-up evidence. THEY need to be investigated!!
You got any proof on this claim ?? The CPS workers I ever knew were seriously overworked and very underpaid. Doing a thankless, difficult and heart rending job for not a lot of money. Bonuses for adding to their work loads ?? Yeah we need to see some proof of that !!

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons

I doubt they get bonuses as it is a government institution. The state is nor known for efficiency and merit based pay would promote efficiency. But i get what you are getting at otherwise.

Jun 2013
USA TN
I doubt they get bonuses as it is a government institution. The state is nor known for efficiency and merit based pay would promote efficiency. But i get what you are getting at otherwise.
i watched a documentary recently--can't remember the name, but they do get bonuses! there was a female congresswoman who was trying to put a stop to it and she lost her seat over it. it's a sick business and most of these cps workers don't give a damn about the kids.