Adoption and Foster Care in Crisis

Jun 2013
USA TN
You got any proof on this claim ?? The CPS workers I ever knew were seriously overworked and very underpaid. Doing a thankless, difficult and heart rending job for not a lot of money. Bonuses for adding to their work loads ?? Yeah we need to see some proof of that !!
please watch the video i posted!

Dec 2016
Canada
lets not forget that the criminals who work for CPS get a bonus for every child they take and they get another bonus if that child is adopted. CPS is a crooked organization who steals kids out of good families with flimsy or made-up evidence. THEY need to be investigated!!
So, why haven't they been investigated? Is it because a full investigation will reveal the #1 problem is cutbacks and programs being defunded and therefore receiving less oversight?

I don't see rightwing watchdogs ever mention the 800 pound gorilla in the room when it comes to abuse of adoption procedures: the longrunning seizure of children in Canada AND in the US, Australia and likely every single colonial government with large indigenous populations. In Canada, The Churches...all of the mainline churches: Catholic, Anglican, Presbyterian, United, ALL had a hand in taking children from their families that had been put on reserves and either having them adopted out to white families to "Take The Indian Out Of Them" or just leave them in orphanages until they aged out at 16 and either became drug-addicted criminals or prostitutes until they ended in an untimely death on the streets. In Canada, the native adoption scandals destroyed indigenous families, spirituality, cultures and basic knowledge of ways of living...hunting, trapping, fishing, tanning leather etc. so that they would forever after be wards of the Federal Government unable to use their own land effectively and most important- unable to protect their own land and water rights from the demands and encroachments of mining and industrial operations poisoning the mostly unuseable small territories they were left with! And the indigenous populations are larger and have more political impact in Canada than south of the border, so I suspect that the situation and conditions of native communities is still even worse there!

BUT, when it comes to the native adoption scandals, the Churches All loom large in the story...yet aside from a few bleating apologies, nothing is done to the culprits who planned and carried out the destruction of communities that were seen as "standing in the way of progress!" A fitting epitaph of today's "civilization" as it hurtles us towards destruction!

Feb 2014
Oregon
A meme on Facebook caught my attention today: "The number of kids in foster care waiting for a family would almost fill 2 stadiums." Shocking statistics so I went looking for more information. Obviously, I haven't been paying close attention to this horrendous situation.

The most recent article is Chrisitan-based but please don't be turned off by that because the stats are real and frightening.
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – America's opioid crisis is literally driving children from their homes and faith leaders are looking for creative ways to respond.
The government says the number of children in foster care shot up by 10 percent from 397,000 in 2012 to 437,500 in 2016.
At the end of Fiscal Year 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services reported more growth – 443,000 children in the system.
Naomi Schaefer Riley, an American Enterprise Institute fellow who studies child welfare, says the trend reverses what had been a decline for much of the late 90s and 2000s, following a peak in the 1980s driven by the crack epidemic.
She and a number of experts believe that the opioid crisis is helping to drive the growing number of children unable to stay in their homes.

The Need for Foster Parents
"It's the largest driver right now in the US for foster care," says Chris Palusky, CEO for Grand Rapids-based Bethany Christian Services. "we're seeing this opioid crisis just grow and it's causing families to be separated and it's also causing kids to be born into addiction."

The adoption situation isn't much better.
How long does the average child spend in the foster care system?
More than 60% of children in foster care spend two to five years in the system before being adopted. Almost 20% spend five or more years in foster care before being adopted. Some never get adopted.

How many children are waiting to be adopted in the United States?
Of the over 400,000 children in foster care in the U.S., 114,556 cannot be returned to their families and are waiting to be adopted. Among these children, males outnumber females, African American children are disproportionately represented, and over half are 6 years old or older.

How many Americans have adopted a child?
Although no more than 2% of Americans have actually adopted, more than 1/3 have considered it.
International adoptions are becoming more complicated and costly.

Adoption Statistics | Adoption Network

Of adoptions finalized in the last two years, international adoptions cost an average of $44,000; U.S. newborn adoptions cost an average of $40,000. Read on for detailed findings.

How Much Does It Cost to Adopt a Child? Adoption Cost & Timing Report

Is there a solution?
Perhaps we should return to family values? You know, the traditional mother and wife with a husband to support her and the children. I know all the reasons for objecting to traditional values, but the OP and mounting social problems, of which addiction is only one, speak of what is wrong with not having family values. We are a nation in trouble and education used to be our way of preventing this. Education and family laws that held family responsible for family. We learned of family duty and what that has to do with being good citizens, before we liberated women and destroyed family values and made money the bottom line instead of human values.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Perhaps we should return to family values? You know, the traditional mother and wife with a husband to support her and the children. I know all the reasons for objecting to traditional values, but the OP and mounting social problems, of which addiction is only one, speak of what is wrong with not having family values. We are a nation in trouble and education used to be our way of preventing this. Education and family laws that held family responsible for family. We learned of family duty and what that has to do with being good citizens, before we liberated women and destroyed family values and made money the bottom line instead of human values.
And perhaps we should go back to when a family of five lived in a two bedroom, 1100 sq ft house with one bathroom, might not have a car and definitely no internet, cellphone or cable?

You can't turn back the clock.

And that doesn't even start on the concept of condemning women to effectively a subservient role.

Feb 2014
Oregon
That home is a whole lot better than being old and homeless because family means nothing anymore and the government is overwhelmed with the flood of unmet human needs, while those dependent on the state have lost their personal power and liberty. We can correct our mistakes and ending education for good moral judgment and destroying family values was a huge mistake! Education for a technological society was intentionally amoral and the social, economic, and political ramifications could end our civilization just as the power and glory of Rome fell.

What kind of role do you think the millions of women with only high school educations and 3 children to support alone, hold in our society? Some of us are college educated, in debt and not doing any better than the high school drop out. We are a nation in serious trouble and I hope we can talk about this more. Love and marriage have a lot to do with avoiding serious social problems and children having security and self-esteem and succeeding in life.

Feb 2014
Oregon
lets not forget that the criminals who work for CPS get a bonus for every child they take and they get another bonus if that child is adopted. CPS is a crooked organization who steals kids out of good families with flimsy or made-up evidence. THEY need to be investigated!!
whoo kbear! Would you like some help with your argument? Many years ago my grandchildren were taken illegally out of my home and made wards of the state. I learned more about tyranny than I ever imagined a person could learn of tyranny in the US. Fortunately, grandparents were uniting for protest against our grandchildren being wards of the state instead of in the care for family, and we had a new governor wanting to make changes. I am proud of the role I played in mobilizing public support and getting laws changed.

That made my concern about education and what it has to do with our lives, socially, economically, and politically more intense. I learned more about tyranny than I want to know. We have state power over the people and it is not healthy only most people don't realize that in the US tyranny is possible.

May 2018
Chicago
I can't agree with you here completely. "Family values" has been used time and again to discriminate against gay people like me. We have families too, and i get tired of hearing how we're "unfit" blah blah blah... We're just as capable of raising good kids as anyone else. We've been doing it forever. You're right- education is key here.

The proof is out there:

Children raised by same-sex parents do as well as their peers, study shows
What does the scholarly research say about the well-being of children with gay or lesbian parents? | What We Know
How many same-sex couples in the U.S. are raising children? - Williams Institute

Regarding the opioid crisis that seems to be the main driver in the article, that is not a failing of people's values. Addiction to these substances is the result of people being prescribed to them for whatever medical reason. A friend of mine just lost his brother this very thing. He was involved in a train accident and had to be hospitalized. He was treated with opioids for pain and was addicted before he even left the hospital. The doctors continued to prescribe the medication afterward. He accidentally overdosed one night in his apartment. That's not a moral failing, that's a failing of our health care system and the pharmaceutical companies that push this garbage. His doctors caused another disease, addiction, while trying to treat another problem. And they didn't stop prescribing it. This is a person who would never have sought out these drugs in the first place. It's not as if he was looking to "party".

That is the particular problem that needs be addressed in the present. That seems to be the main driver according to the article. What we need to do is get these drugs out of our health care system and then help the people who are addicted to them. That is something we don't do well in this country because people such as yourself view this as a moral failing on the part of the addicted. Most of those addicted never asked for this to happen to them. They trusted their medical professionals. Addiction is a disease, like any other. If there is any moral failing here, it is on the part of drug companies, who only see dollar signs. So if you're looking to place moral blame, place it on the right people.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
And perhaps we should go back to when a family of five lived in a two bedroom, 1100 sq ft house with one bathroom, might not have a car and definitely no internet, cellphone or cable?

You can't turn back the clock.

And that doesn't even start on the concept of condemning women to effectively a subservient role.

Thank you, RNG. We can't turn back the clock....and BTW, we don't WANT to. Americans already live paycheck to paycheck with TWO parents working full time. In fact, in many families, ONE parent also has a part-time job to supplement their income. Mr. Clara and I always ALWAYS had more than ONE full-time job.
Has anyone taken a good look at daily living expenses? The cost of healthcare, food and housing today?? There is no way for the middle class to live on ONE person's wages. We can't live without transportation. We can't live without the internet.
No matter how small the house, everyone has a mortgage. Everyone has debt.
This is not the 1950s and it's probably never GOING to be 1950s again. We are no longer an agrarian nation, living on the farm and off the garden vegetables. Women are no longer content to stay home, particularly once the children are in school.
Educated women WANT--NEED--to work. Educated parents WANT their children to have piano and dance lessons--hockey--Little League---swimming classes--birthday parties--higher education and all those extras cost MONEY.
Both parents need to work.