After Trump’s Attacks on Justice Dept., Barr Says He Will Not ‘Be Bullied’

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Well, has Barr found his honor? How can this declaration be walked back? Has Trump run out of rope, or, and I gotta say it, is this all a charade?

We will see.

After Trump’s Attacks on Justice Dept., Barr Says He Will Not ‘Be Bullied’
The attorney general said that the president’s attacks on prosecutors’ handling of his friend Roger Stone’s sentencing undermine the legal system and the Justice Department.
In an extraordinary rebuke of President Trump, Attorney General William P. Barr said on Thursday that Mr. Trump’s attacks on the Justice Department had made it “impossible for me to do my job” and asserted that “I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody.”​
Mr. Barr has been among the president’s most loyal allies and denigrated by Democrats as nothing more than his personal lawyer but publicly challenged Mr. Trump in a way that no other sitting cabinet member has.​
“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody,” Mr. Barr said in an interview with ABC News. “And I said, whether it’s Congress, newspaper editorial board, or the president, I’m going to do what I think is right. I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”​
Mr. Barr’s remarks were aimed at containing the fallout from the department’s botched handling of its sentencing recommendationfor Mr. Trump’s longtime friend Roger J. Stone Jr., who was convicted of seven felonies in a bid to obstruct a congressional investigation that threatened the president.​
Mr. Trump’s criticisms “make it impossible for me to do my job and to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we’re doing our work with integrity,” Mr. Barr said.​
He added, “It’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases.”​
People close to the president said they were caught off guard by the interview.​

May 2018
none
No, Barr finally gotten bitten by the rabid dog that is our president. He does it to everyone, did Barr think he would be an exception?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Just wait. Won't be long before the Dumbster is referring to Barr as beleaguered or embattled, indicating he will be shown the door shortly. Trump does not tolerate ANY sort of dissension or disagreement. You're either absolutely 100% for him, or you're his enemy. There is NO in-between.

May 2018
none
Just wait. Won't be long before the Dumbster is referring to Barr as beleaguered or embattled, indicating he will be shown the door shortly. Trump does not tolerate ANY sort of dissension or disagreement. You're either absolutely 100% for him, or you're his enemy. There is NO in-between.
Yep, Barr is clearly the next to go.

Feb 2020
Tigard, OR
Barr should expect to be humiliated... then fired. Hard to understand how he helped to hide the Mueller report but the Roger Stone situation pushed him over the edge. See ya Bill, the damage you did is impossible to calculate

Jul 2019
Georgia
I'm calling charade

Barr's been the forefront of conversation because he's been running trumpian interference at the DOJ. He had to say something to keep up appearances.

this is the man who shut down the Mueller probe
the man who presented a false "summary" of Mueller's findings to control the narrative
the man who traveled the globe chasing down pro-trumpian and pro-russian conspiracy theories
the man who just recently ran interference on the Stone trial, and possibly the Flynn trial
the man who sponsored a pro-Vlad "investigation" by Durham (and is still trying to push him to find, something, anything)
the man who couldn't answer Harris when she asked him point blank if trump had him conduct any investigations
the man who has taken the highest law enforcement position in the land and turned it into an authoritarian department which conducts partisan "investigations"
and the man who said "America is going to Hell"

I don't believe a damn word he says.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
One can only hope.
Unfortunately, Barr has served Trump very well and I suspect that Trump will tolerate some "symbolic" show of autonomy if it strengthens Barr's position within the Justice Department.

Reactions: se7en