Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the youngest woman ever elected to Congress—she still can't afford an apartment in D.C.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
One year ago, you could find Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez working behind the bar at Flats Fix, a small taqueria near Union Square. Come January, you will find her in Washington D.C., representing New York's 14th District as the youngest woman ever elected to Congress.

But just because she is making history, doesn't mean she is making money. Ocasio-Cortez recently revealed that she is currently unable to rent a D.C. apartment.

Her transition period will be "very unusual, because I can't really take a salary," she said in an interview with The New York Times. "I have three months without a salary before I'm a member of Congress. So, how do I get an apartment? Those little things are very real."

According to real-estate website Zillow, the median rent in Washington, D.C., is $2,700.

Youngest woman elected to Congress Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can't afford an apartment in D.C.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Sure she can, just like Cortez's method of paying for Medicare for all. She should just pay for it.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Are you? It reads like you auto-biography.
Presidents and Economic Growth, Another View
Annualized real GDP growth from quarter before taking office to quarter before leaving

Sources: U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, author's calculations.
*Since Trump is still in office, growth is calculated through the second quarter of 2018.