Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez the most comedic member of congress.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
It is most decidedly not the system we have now. We have a tax code that is stunningly complex with a myriad of conditions, deductions, exemptions, credits, exclusions, etc. It's even more complex for businesses. In fact, for every dollar in taxes paid by corporate America they pay something like $0.25 just to make sure the taxes are prepared correctly. Simplify that process and you could raise the corporate rate by 10% and they'd thank you for it.
Yes we do because we have an economy that is stunningly complex and a population that is stunningly complex such that a “one size fits all” solution is not going to work.

Having said that, I agree that our tax code is far more complex then it needs to be but that has to do with politicians using the tax code to buy votes. Carve out a tax credit for this constituancy here, a deduction for that constituency there. Lower a rate for those mega doners over here and raise a rate on those people my base says is “getting a free ride”

Add to that the fact that states have their own tax codes and the Federal Government has their own tax code and they each write in deductions based on what the other is taxing.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I split nothing. I simply quoted her, and as I said, there's really no need to add any commentary to make the point.

And the answer to the question is that people need to work a second job when the economic value of the labor from their first job is insufficient to provide them the material comforts they seek. It's either that or depend on someone else's labor and charity.
Or unionize

Dec 2018
New England
Yes we do because we have an economy that is stunningly complex and a population that is stunningly complex such that a “one size fits all” solution is not going to work.

Having said that, I agree that our tax code is far more complex then it needs to be but that has to do with politicians using the tax code to buy votes. Carve out a tax credit for this constituancy here, a deduction for that constituency there. Lower a rate for those mega doners over here and raise a rate on those people my base says is “getting a free ride”

Add to that the fact that states have their own tax codes and the Federal Government has their own tax code and they each write in deductions based on what the other is taxing.
And that is the other strong argument for massive tax code simplification. If folks really want crimp big money's ability to buy favors in Washington then give our representatives there less to sell. No credits. No deductions. No loopholes. No favors.

Dec 2018
New England
And nobody else says anything.....

The reason the right is fixated on AOC and Liz Warren is because those two women scare the hell out the right.
Were I a Trump supporter I would be begging the DNC to nominate Warren and hoping like hell AOC spent the next two years in front of a live microphone.