All rights, including this one, have limits.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Opinion: Gun ownership should be regarded in the same manner as driving a car, practicing medicine, or flying an airplane — a privilege and not a right

• The second amendment of the US constitution is written in language that supports the carrying of arms in order to create state militias — which we have in the form of the state National Guard.
  • Chancellor of New York Medical College Edward C. Halperin suggests that "keep and bear" does not mean "personally own."
  • He says gun ownership should be regarded in the same manner as driving a car, practicing medicine, or flying an airplane: a privilege and not a right.
Within 48 hours of the massacre of 17 people in Parkland, Florida, I received a spam email announcing that there was a "new loophole for U.S. residents to carry a gun legally."

The text of the email included a picture of a woman brandishing a pistol and a meaningless badge and inviting me to complete "our online concealed gun certification...qualify in minutes. Get your concealed carry license before they take away your rights." Besides being contemptibly tasteless, this piece of spam reminds us of the manipulation of the U.S. Constitution by the gun industry and their amen lobby.

In a Constitution awash with words about ownership, it is conspicuous that the Second Amendment talks about "keep and bear," not owning. Allowing the states to have members of the National Guard keep and bear arms is a lot different than personally owning a weapon.

No sensible person thinks that a collection of gun enthusiasts are going to protect us from North Korean nuclear warheads or terrorists driving motorboats full of explosives into the sides of our warships. In case gun rights defenders have not noticed, we don't need citizen soldiers to defend the frontier against hostile Native American tribes or the redcoats attacking.

And let's spare ourselves from listening to any more nonsense that arming private citizens is the ultimate check on federal government power. Our liberties are protected by the courts, freedom of speech, and the free press. What armed private individuals have given us are mobsters and gang members shooting each other and law enforcement officers, the Whiskey Rebellion of the 18th century, the Civil War New York City draft riots, and the slaughter of schoolchildren. There are plenty of democratic countries in this world who maintain individual rights without a gun-toting citizenry.

In a 2013 study published in the American Journal of Public Healththe authors "examined the relationship between levels of household firearm ownership...and age-adjusted firearm homicide rates at the state level" using data "on gun ownership and firearm homicide rates across all 50 states during 1981 to 2010...Gun ownership was a significant predictor of firearm homicide rates... States with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm related homicides."

In a 2013 study published in the American Journal of Public Healththe authors "examined the relationship between levels of household firearm ownership...and age-adjusted firearm homicide rates at the state level" using data "on gun ownership and firearm homicide rates across all 50 states during 1981 to 2010...Gun ownership was a significant predictor of firearm homicide rates... States with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm related homicides."

Opinion: Gun ownership should be regarded in the same manner as driving a car, practicing medicine, or flying an airplane — a privilege and not a right

Dec 2015
Arizona
UH OH! You're in trouble now, Bill. Your post will be perceived by some to be the "COMING FOR YOUR GUNS" doomsday. The apocalypse!! The END OF DAYS.....because you just CAN'T be a real man without a gun and the bigger the gun the bigger the penis--I'm guessing??
Just be prepared for a ROUND of stupid arguments.
Wish I had a dollar for every time we had this pointless discussion.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
UH OH! You're in trouble now, Bill. Your post will be perceived by some to be the "COMING FOR YOUR GUNS" doomsday. The apocalypse!! The END OF DAYS.....because you just CAN'T be a real man without a gun and the bigger the gun the bigger the penis--I'm guessing??
Actually I belive that penis size is inversely proportional to gun size and number.....

Jun 2012
Barsoom
I cannot seem to find the restrictions on the federal government in the first ten amendments regarding driving, practicing medicine, or flying planes.

There is no language in the Second Amendment that supports anything.

Feb 2007
New York
And let's spare ourselves from listening to any more nonsense that arming private citizens is the ultimate check on federal government power. Our liberties are protected by the courts, freedom of speech, and the free press.
Tell that to the Native Americans that had to walk the Trail of Tears. History has shown that the court's authority will be ignored if the politician thinks he can get away with it.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
i am coming for their guns..children should not play with guns

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
I cannot seem to find the restrictions on the federal government in the first ten amendments regarding driving, practicing medicine, or flying planes.

There is no language in the Second Amendment that supports anything.
states may form a militia

Jun 2012
Barsoom
There is no may regarding what a state may or may not do regarding militias in the Second Amendment.