alzheimer research

Dec 2015
Arizona
The placebo effect can be huge for some things. I find it particularly interesting that your source is form Psychology Today. To go to a ludicrous extreme, do you think placebos would help a broken arm?

In the case of Alzheimer's, where there is mechanical brain damage, I can see having a positive outlook aided by the belief you are being treated because you don't know you are on a placebo might delay some aspects. And this positive outlook might improve your interaction with the world. But the deterioration is happening even if it's at a slower rate.
I don't see how dementia patients would have a positive outlook on a placebo because 1) They can't remember they are ON medication and they may not understand WHAT the meds are for 2) They can't control their emotions. 3) They live in an alternative reality. 4) They lose interest in most things/attention span of a child.

You are correct. This is mechanical brain damage. We can't assume that they have logic or the ability to make assessments or reason.

Reactions: RNG
Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
But consider, when do therapies not have mixed results? Consider, placebo success rates vary , but hover around 30 percent.

I have big bones to pick with the medical establishment, most lately with their failure to treat effectively my breathing issues, failure to even properly diagnose them.

I positively HATE their “Sorry, there’s nothing that can be done,” god-like death sentences, or their, “Sorry, your condition is genetic, nothing can be done.”

GENES CAN BE TURNED OFF OR ON. Why the hell is the gene turned on is the bloody question.

Our medical establishment is primitive and destined to remain so until it looks beyond the physical only, and more fully accounts for the dangers of corporate food. Corporate oils are particularly bad, to the point where I believe if the truth were known lawsuits by the millions would fly.

Health is a product of mind, emotions, body and any approach that denies that is primitive, for-profit, corporate spell-casting, powerful spell-casting.
There is always going to be variation in how people respond to drugs, different diets, preexisting conditions, on different medications, different genetics, etc. Vioxx, which helped millions of people, was pulled because of about 3% of patients with bad outcomes. Granted, they were very bad outcomes and rightfully it was pulled, but if there was a way to predict responsiveness to drugs (pharmacogenomics) than that would improve how well they work significantly

The future of medicine is personalized medicine based on genetics. Unfortunately, the stupid SCOTUS screwed up what is considered patentabl and this hit diagnostics hard, which may hinder company investment in what hsould be the future of medicine. Now that entire genomes can be sequenced for udner $1000 in a single day, and getting cheaper, drugs and treatments can be tailored to your genomes.

That paired with AI and machine learning will be huge for improving medicine

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
There is always going to be variation in how people respond to drugs, different diets, preexisting conditions, on different medications, different genetics, etc. Vioxx, which helped millions of people, was pulled because of about 3% of patients with bad outcomes. Granted, they were very bad outcomes and rightfully it was pulled, but if there was a way to predict responsiveness to drugs (pharmacogenomics) than that would improve how well they work significantly

The future of medicine is personalized medicine based on genetics. Unfortunately, the stupid SCOTUS screwed up what is considered patentabl and this hit diagnostics hard, which may hinder company investment in what hsould be the future of medicine. Now that entire genomes can be sequenced for udner $1000 in a single day, and getting cheaper, drugs and treatments can be tailored to your genomes.

Removing the stupid restrictions on stem cell research would help too. Another totally irrational RW temper tantrum.

Sep 2014
On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
An addendum, there are plenty of real doctors who want to sell ya something too.
This Obsolete Aristocratic Institution Has No Place in a Modern Democracy

MDs are Mamas' Boys who don't earn a living until they are 26. Until students start getting paid an adult salary, college will attract only teenagers who are afraid to grow up. The unnatural lifestyle of today's indentured-servitude students creates a starve then binge over-reaction. It produces crooks, incompetents, quacks, and crackpots.

Reactions: imaginethat

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
This Obsolete Aristocratic Institution Has No Place in a Modern Democracy

MDs are Mamas' Boys who don't earn a living until they are 26. Until students start getting paid an adult salary, college will attract only teenagers who are afraid to grow up. The unnatural lifestyle of today's indentured-servitude students creates a starve then binge over-reaction. It produces crooks, incompetents, quacks, and crackpots.
Dude.................

That dynamic doesn't affect all doctors, but I'm sure we've all known doctors who expect to be obeyed, without question, like a petulant adolescent. bully.

Nov 2012
Michigan
No, because other than your personal opinion and the opinions of various pretend doctors that want to sell you something, there are no double blind case studies to support that position.
I could post links all day from doctors not selling anything other then telling you to do what I said. Start with Dr Fung. Cut sugar , cut carbs, if you’re already showing signs of Alzheimer’s take exogenous ketones (if you can’t afford the real stuff a couple tablespoons of coconut oil everyday). If you don’t get better I’ll give you double your money back.

Nov 2012
Michigan

There’s plenty going on with stem cell research. Very useful therapy derived from them uses adult stem cells. Every test with stem cells from murdered children results in horrific side effects usually killing the patient.

Feb 2006
California
I don't see how dementia patients would have a positive outlook on a placebo because 1) They can't remember they are ON medication and they may not understand WHAT the meds are for 2) They can't control their emotions. 3) They live in an alternative reality. 4) They lose interest in most things/attention span of a child.

You are correct. This is mechanical brain damage. We can't assume that they have logic or the ability to make assessments or reason.
A natural compound with antioxidative properties that might help to delay the onset of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's can now be produced in baker's yeast, a study reports. This new way of producing ergothioneine, as the compound is known, may lead to a commercially viable new treatment for people with a range of neurodegenerative diseases. The study, “Engineering the Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae for the Production of L-(+)-Ergothioneine,” was published in the journal Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. Ergothioneine (ERG) is an unusual but naturally occurring antioxidant that can ease or prevent the cellular stress associated with neurodegenerative diseases. People cannot naturally produce ERG, but acquire it from their diet. This compound is mainly produced by enzymes in bacteria and fungi, and plants are thought to take from the soil ERG excreted by fungi.

Dec 2015
Arizona
A natural compound with antioxidative properties that might help to delay the onset of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's can now be produced in baker's yeast, a study reports. This new way of producing ergothioneine, as the compound is known, may lead to a commercially viable new treatment for people with a range of neurodegenerative diseases. The study, “Engineering the Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae for the Production of L-(+)-Ergothioneine,” was published in the journal Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. Ergothioneine (ERG) is an unusual but naturally occurring antioxidant that can ease or prevent the cellular stress associated with neurodegenerative diseases. People cannot naturally produce ERG, but acquire it from their diet. This compound is mainly produced by enzymes in bacteria and fungi, and plants are thought to take from the soil ERG excreted by fungi.
While I really appreciate the information, Intangible, I must remind EVERYONE that diets, supplements, and easy fixes are not going to reverse dementia. When we read these articles carefully we should immediately recognize them for what they are: possibilities.
Almost every paragraph contains precautionary language such as: Might help. May lead. Might prevent. Possible involvement. Could potentially benefit.

AND here's the danger. Just as with cancer treatment, patients were so desperate for a cure they often LEFT the medical community in search of a possible life-saving drug/herb/voodoo magic. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome. While she was recovering she came across an ad for stem-cell treatments (WHICH WOULD cure her!). She paid $15,000 for the pills. Obviously, she was taken for a ride. This is just one of many examples.

Let's be cautious.

Reactions: RNG
Feb 2006
California
While I really appreciate the information, Intangible, I must remind EVERYONE that diets, supplements, and easy fixes are not going to reverse dementia. When we read these articles carefully we should immediately recognize them for what they are: possibilities.
Almost every paragraph contains precautionary language such as: Might help. May lead. Might prevent. Possible involvement. Could potentially benefit.

AND here's the danger. Just as with cancer treatment, patients were so desperate for a cure they often LEFT the medical community in search of a possible life-saving drug/herb/voodoo magic. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome. While she was recovering she came across an ad for stem-cell treatments (WHICH WOULD cure her!). She paid $15,000 for the pills. Obviously, she was taken for a ride. This is just one of many examples.

Let's be cautious.
Just trying to help, went through hell with my mother in law, although she passed away, I still believe that something is out there to help. I never give up hope that things can change, hope is all that there is today, but we never know what tomorrow will bring. Time and advancement in the human condition is moving very rapidly in this point in time! Peace and Love!

1574173958983.png

Reactions: Clara007