American Healthcare System: Actually, They Hate It

Nov 2012
nirvana
Republicans love to shoot down the idea of Medicare For All because it takes away the freedom of consumers to shop around and choose the health insurance that best fits their needs. Let’s ignore for the moment that M4A would suit just about everyone’s needs better than just about any private plan available at less cost. Instead, let’s look at how much Americans value the freedom to shop around.

Short answer: Not at all. In fact, they pretty much hate it.

Feb 2018
Oregon
Republicans love to shoot down the idea of Medicare For All because it takes away the freedom of consumers to shop around and choose the health insurance that best fits their needs. Let’s ignore for the moment that M4A would suit just about everyone’s needs better than just about any private plan available at less cost. Instead, let’s look at how much Americans value the freedom to shop around.

Let's be honest though. Republicans love to shoot down the idea of Medicare For All because it conflicts with their Big Bux donors. That is whom they serve.

And they like to trot out the argument that "Americans want choice". But only those who are too lazy to think just a tiny bit fall for that. Americans DON'T LIKE having to pore over numerous plans with numerous variations on all the details every year and then hope and worry about whether they overlooked something that will bite them in the butt later. They want coverage when they need treatment. THAT IS ALL.

Nov 2012
nirvana
TE="Kode, post: 1410456, member: 7695"]
Let's be honest though. Republicans love to shoot down the idea of Medicare For All because it conflicts with their Big Bux donors. That is whom they serve.

And they like to trot out the argument that "Americans want choice". But only those who are too lazy to think just a tiny bit fall for that. Americans DON'T LIKE having to pore over numerous plans with numerous variations on all the details every year and then hope and worry about whether they overlooked something that will bite them in the butt later. They want coverage when they need treatment. THAT IS ALL.
[/QUOTE]

The only open enrollment ( what a fucking scam that sales pitch is ) Americans need to worry about is when they sign up for the new national healthcare plan, and never have to sign up for anything again.

Here's a little caveat Americans don't know. In Canada, you are issued a card with your identification on it, and it can be used as identification when VOTING. This is why Republicans are against it. Once all of Americans get a picture ID, that can be updated every 10 years, that is used as the official ID to vote, it's ballgame for Republicans.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Even with Medicare, there are lots of decisions to make and I agree! IT'S no fun....pouring over every Tom/Dick/Harry supplemental plan (Medigap)---most of which are very similar. If you request information from a company like Blue Cross or Humana or Cigna--Aetna--AARP--on and on and on---you receive booklets about an inch THICK to peruse in all your spare time.
You can imagine the vocabulary. The medical terms. The comparisons, charts, stats, exceptions, etc. This process is NOT for the faint of heart or the illiterate among us. The process is time-consuming and confusing. Coverage can be difficult to understand and varies by market. In some cases, the buyer is just GUESSING because none of knows what we will really need when the time comes. There are enrollment deadlines to meet.

Just sayin'........being informed about Medicare and all its details is extremely complicated and most young folks will NOT be interested in "digging" into volumes of books.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Yeah, not only Republicans, moderate Democrats who claim 179 million Americans are "Happy" with their insurance and wouldn't want to "Lose" it.
The idea that I would "lose" a plan that covers less and costs more doesn't bother me at all, and I have great insurance now.
And I don't much in the way of choice. My employer offers a several plans, I pick the one that costs the least, an HMO, it limits me to in network providers for full coverage, I get partial coverage out of network, but my network includes some of the best medical facilities in the world . There's another plan that lets me go to any doctor in the world, it would cost me another $2000 a month, I pass, the chances of me going to Switzerland for health care are minuscule, when I don't feel good, I go to the medical building that is closest to my home, where my regular doctor works, and where I can see another doctor or an LPN if my doctor is out the office that day.

When we do something a lot we get good at it, when we do something once a year, or once every 5 years we don't get good at it.
When you privatize pensions or privatize medical insurance there is a contest between the salesman, who is out to give you as little as possible and to charge you as much as possible, and does it every day of the year, and the consumer, who every once in great while ventures into the market.
In most of those transactions, the consumer gets screwed. Who's going to miss that?
Who is going to miss paying more to get less?

Reactions: Clara007
Nov 2019
USA

Both Democrats and Republicans are offering changes to the system. Nobody wants to keep the system as is. President Trump has been making changes to the system in fact. So the question comes down to what should the solution be? The short answer is that Americans don't like Medicare-for-All when the details are explained to them. Here is a great article about that fact: How do Americans feel about ‘Medicare-for-all’? This poll tells us

The poll found that Americans initially support “Medicare-for-all,” 56 percent to 42 percent.
However, those numbers shifted dramatically when people were asked about the potential impact, pro and con.
Support increased when people were told “Medicare-for-all” would guarantee health insurance as a right (71 percent) and eliminate premiums and reduce out-of-pocket costs (67 percent).
But if they were told that a government-run system could lead to delays in getting care or higher taxes, support plunged to 26 percent and 37 percent, respectively. Support fell to 32 percent if it would threaten the current Medicare program.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Both Democrats and Republicans are offering changes to the system. Nobody wants to keep the system as is. President Trump has been making changes to the system in fact. So the question comes down to what should the solution be? The short answer is that Americans don't like Medicare-for-All when the details are explained to them. Here is a great article about that fact: How do Americans feel about ‘Medicare-for-all’? This poll tells us
So most people want Medicare for All, but when you tell them a bunch of lies, you can get that number to change..
What a valuable insight....

• Haha
Nov 2019
USA
So most people want Medicare for All, but when you tell them a bunch of lies, you can get that number to change..
What a valuable insight....
Are you serious when you say you think telling people that delays will occur and taxes will be raised under Medicare-for-All is a lie? How so? Even Bernie Sanders admits his plan calls for a raise in taxes. Is he lying about his own plan? Sen. Bernie Sanders Admits He Will Raise Taxes on Middle Class to Pay for Universal Health Care

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Are you serious when you say you think telling people that delays will occur and taxes will be raised under Medicare-for-All is a lie? How so? Even Bernie Sanders admits his plan calls for a raise in taxes. Is he lying about his own plan? Sen. Bernie Sanders Admits He Will Raise Taxes on Middle Class to Pay for Universal Health Care

Well DUH, of course, taxes will go up. BUT ????!!!!!! How much are you spending on healthcare now ?? The best plan I can get is still costing me almost $300 a month I will have to spend at least $3,000 out of pocket before it kicks in and starts truly covering anything. So basically I'm covered for a major hospital stay IF I have something serious goes wrong. Hell, my last trip was about $2,000. ALL of it came out of my pocket. I thought I might need a second visit, luckily the drugs cleared it up for me. But if I had needed the second scan, and filed with my insurance, my COPAY was going to be $1600 dollars. I could however, self-pay for $600 dollars. But according to the rules, if I self-paid it would NOT count towards my deductible. How fucked up is that ?? It's no wonder people are fed up and frustrated with our healthcare system.

Trump and the rethuglicants promised something better and cheaper. I'm still waiting.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Well DUH, of course, taxes will go up. BUT ????!!!!!! How much are you spending on healthcare now ?? The best plan I can get is still costing me almost $300 a month I will have to spend at least $3,000 out of pocket before it kicks in and starts truly covering anything. So basically I'm covered for a major hospital stay IF I have something serious goes wrong. Hell, my last trip was about $2,000. ALL of it came out of my pocket. I thought I might need a second visit, luckily the drugs cleared it up for me. But if I had needed the second scan, and filed with my insurance, my COPAY was going to be $1600 dollars. I could however, self-pay for $600 dollars. But according to the rules, if I self-paid it would NOT count towards my deductible. How fucked up is that ?? It's no wonder people are fed up and frustrated with our healthcare system.

Trump and the rethuglicants promised something better and cheaper. I'm still waiting.
Yeah, whatever happened to that "PHENOMENAL" healthcare coverage that Trump and the GOP promised....when was that? Oh yeah---almost four years ago. Then, Trump was sworn in and so was the new House and Senate GOP. For two years, the GOP scratched their little empty heads and what did they come up with? If you said NOTHING---that would be correct.
“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said in an interview with The Washington Post. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”
AND that's what happened with THEM---NOTHING.
Other promises directly from Trump's very large MOUTH:
‘NO ONE WILL LOSE COVERAGE’
‘NOBODY WILL BE WORSE OFF FINANCIALLY’
‘EVERYBODY’S GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF’

As Trump and the GOP campaigned he/they declared in an interview with CBS’s “60 Minutes”: “I am going to take care of everybody … Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now.” More recently, Trump has promised that repeal will end with “a beautiful picture.

AND here we are---one year from another presidential election and as usual Trump and HIS brilliant GOP have got plenty of nothing.

Reactions: skews13