Americans do agree on something

Feb 2014
nunya
The latest Reason-Rupe poll asked Americans if they would support or oppose changing the federal tax system to a flat tax, where everyone pays the same percentage of his or her income, finding that 62 percent favor the flat tax and 33 percent are opposed. When asked where they would set the flat tax, the aveage response was 15 percent.
62 Percent of Americans Say They Favor a Flat Tax - Reason-Rupe Surveys : Reason.com

Most Americans continue to think the middle class pays more than its share in taxes and favor a system where everyone pays the same percentage of their income.
58% Favor Taxing All At The Same Percentage Rate - Rasmussen Reports?

Tax reform is a central issue in this year's GOP presidential nomination race, with Republican candidates proposing a number of ways to simplify and reduce taxes. When asked to react to six of these tax-related proposals, Americans generally are more positive than negative about all, although by widely varying margins. Americans are most in favor of eliminating tax deductions and loopholes available to the very rich, followed by eliminating the estate tax -- the only two proposals to get majority support. They are less likely to favor sweeping proposals to cut income taxes for everyone or to install a 10% flat tax plan. A significant segment of Americans say they don't know enough about these tax proposals to have an opinion.

Views on Six Proposals to Reform Tax System in U.S.
Next, I'm going to read several proposals recently made by candidates running for president. For each proposal, please tell me if you agree or disagree with the proposal, or if you don't know enough about it to have an opinion.
Americans React to Presidential Candidates' Tax Proposals

Seems most American agree with Trump. Hmmmm interesting

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
Arizona

How ridiculous. Obviously Americans don't understand the flat tax. Do you know what countries have shifted to the flat tax system? Ukraine taxes its residents 13%, Georgia implemented a 12% tax and Lithuania taxes its residents 33%....Estonia, Serbia, Slovakia, Romania, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Mauritius and Mongolia. Kuwait, Mexico and a handful of other nations are also considering following suit. Wowza! I wanna be like THEM...said NO American EVER. Plus, Congress will never propose it or pass it and a Democratic president will veto it if they did. Not going to happen, CokaCola.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2014
nunya
Skewsy no one would ever count you in for something that is sensible and fair. For fun lets look at one of your quotes from your really biased article.
An effective way would to tax those who make over 60% of the nation’s wealth pay based of those statistics, shouldn’t the people that own 60% of the wealth, pay 60% of the taxes?
Well crap. Look at that. What do you know.

Well damn, will you look at that. Whatcha think about that. Aint it purdy an all. Bubba actually did the math. I was impressed. I dont know if Bubba changed his mind about the flat tax, but I bet it got Bubba to at least thinking about it. Poor widdle skewsie, lost in your world of jealousy and envy. Then, Daily Kos lets you down with a really incorrect narrative

Feb 2014
nunya
How ridiculous. Obviously Americans don't understand the flat tax. Do you know what countries have shifted to the flat tax system? Ukraine taxes its residents 13%, Georgia implemented a 12% tax and Lithuania taxes its residents 33%....Estonia, Serbia, Slovakia, Romania, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Mauritius and Mongolia. Kuwait, Mexico and a handful of other nations are also considering following suit. Wowza! I wanna be like THEM...said NO American EVER. Plus, Congress will never propose it or pass it and a Democratic president will veto it if they did. Not going to happen, CokaCola.
Hey want to do the math this time? Oh wait, hang on. Tell ya what. Let me find the post where one of your fellow liberals ACTUALLY did do the math how about that. Just be patient my special little snowflake

Nov 2012
nirvana
Skewsy no one would ever count you in for something that is sensible and fair. For fun lets look at one of your quotes from your really biased article.

Well crap. Look at that. What do you know.

Well damn, will you look at that. Whatcha think about that. Aint it purdy an all. Bubba actually did the math. I was impressed. I dont know if Bubba changed his mind about the flat tax, but I bet it got Bubba to at least thinking about it. Poor widdle skewsie, lost in your world of jealousy and envy. Then, Daily Kos lets you down with a really incorrect narrative
A majority of Americans want the rich and corporations to pay more in taxes. That majority is going to get it's way very soon. And the days of being able to dodge that will be over soon also.

Of course you tax cheats are always welcome to join ISIS. But that won't be a safe haven for you much longer either.

The flat taxers are like the flat earthers. Both are equally delusional.

Feb 2014
nunya
Posted from Bubba Jones
Here's some math.

The top 25% of earners bring home 70% of all income. All of them are in the 25% or higher tax bracket.

The remaining 30% of income earners are already in the 15% or 10% brackets.

So lets say the total AGI for the nation is $1,000.

The 25% earn $700 taxed at (after deductions) an average of 20% or $140

The bottom 75% earn $300. Let's say half don't pay any taxes at all, and half after deductions pay 10% or $15.

Total taxes collected, $155

Now let's cut the top 25% down to 15% or $105

Now lets tax the bottom 30% at 15% or $45

Total tax collected $150

Lasts years total revenue was $1.1 trillion dollars. We had a $445 Billion dollar deficit.

Revenue under the flat tax would have been $ 1.056 Billion. We would have had a $500 Billion dollar deficit.

A small difference but still less taxes collected. However taking $4000 away from a person than only makes $30,000 means he will spent less on food, clothing, housing and cars, taking that money directly out of the economy. I think the down stream effects of taxing the poor will not be offset buy the extra money kept by the higher incomes.
Got that. Of course Bubba did not take into account that a true flat tax would not have loopholes. Everyone would pay. That means there would be no such thing as corporation xx not having a + in paid income tax. There would be NO - income tax paid at all. It is equal, it is fair. Now that fun little graph I posted that says who is paying what. Yes that one. Note the groups with a negative number. Those groups are not only NOT paying any federal income tax but they are actually receiving a tax refund that is MORE than they paid in. Its welfare hidden under the guise of a tax refund. Furthermore, the lowest progressive bracket there is right now is 10%. That means for 11 months out of the year somehow a person survives on 10% of their income being taken out. Could we mess around and even come up with rates like 5% flat tax for low income. Sure. I think it could be reasonable. But, sorry I think EVERYONE should have some skin in the game. By the way, if you want to have some real math fun, you just figure out 15% flat on the uber rich with no deductions and loopholes and see what they are really paying now and tell me where it comes out. The bottom line is if you are going to argue for a progressive tax, then your fighting for loopholes and deductions.

Feb 2014
nunya
A majority of Americans want the rich and corporations to pay more in taxes. That majority is going to get it's way very soon. And the days of being able to dodge that will be over soon also.

Of course you tax cheats are always welcome to join ISIS. But that won't be a safe haven for you much longer either.

The flat taxers are like the flat earthers. Both are equally delusional.

Feb 2014
nunya

Umm ok you listed a bunch of countries that you feel are failing. Got it. You then said that they have or will be thinking about switching to a flat tax. Got it. Do you realize you just said progressive taxes failed?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Umm ok you listed a bunch of countries that you feel are failing. Got it. You then said that they have or will be thinking about switching to a flat tax. Got it. Do you realize you just said progressive taxes failed?

Jeesh...having a discussion with you makes me itch. I didn't say they were failing countries. My point was/is (in a loud voice): THEY ARE COMMUNIST countries or were COMMUNIST COUNTRIES. THEY ARE S.M.A.L.L. COUNTRIES. THEY ARE NOT US. NO MAJOR industrialized nation has made that choice. AND.....there are very very good reasons WHY.