America's Gun Violence and Homicide problem

Aug 2018
been around
Narrative #2. It’s a mental health issue
Nope. Only 5% of people with mental illness commit mass shootings.
Something is very wrong there, because what you're saying is 2 million people will commit mass shootings (40million mentally ill people in US). You may want to rethink that statement..
..what I just read is 5% of the mentally ill commit violent crimes; which means again 2 million people - and that is absolutely a number that should be considered as a mental health issue.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I can tell you this for sure: Nothing will be done as long as we have a GOP president, GOP congress and GOP Supreme Court. The Party of NO is terrified, frantic, panicked at the thought of living without their military-type guns and as much ammunition as possible. Re-read that sentence because everyone needs to understand the type of FEAR we are talking about.
BUT....if the day EVER comes when Democrats have all three branches of government...we might see the following:
>Universal Background Checks, including private sales
>Limit sales of high capacity ammunition magazines
>Require a longer waiting period, licensing and training
>Disarm all domestic abusers, drug-related offenders, youth under the age of 21 (with military/employment exceptions)
>Red Flag buyers with mental disability/trauma issues
>Jack up the price of guns and ammo---add a huge luxury tax

This is where to start. In other words, make purchasing killing machines more difficult and more costly. That's it.
My big fear here is that with Dotard having packed the SC with rightie fanatics, will such laws survive constitutional challenges?

Jul 2019
Georgia
I can tell you this for sure: Nothing will be done as long as we have a GOP president, GOP congress and GOP Supreme Court. The Party of NO is terrified, frantic, panicked at the thought of living without their military-type guns and as much ammunition as possible. Re-read that sentence because everyone needs to understand the type of FEAR we are talking about.
BUT....if the day EVER comes when Democrats have all three branches of government...we might see the following:
>Universal Background Checks, including private sales
>Limit sales of high capacity ammunition magazines
>Require a longer waiting period, licensing and training
>Disarm all domestic abusers, drug-related offenders, youth under the age of 21 (with military/employment exceptions)
>Red Flag buyers with mental disability/trauma issues
>Jack up the price of guns and ammo---add a huge luxury tax

This is where to start. In other words, make purchasing killing machines more difficult and more costly. That's it.
exactly.

also these Republican representatives take money from the NRA, so they do what they're told

Jul 2019
Georgia
My big fear here is that with Dotard having packed the SC with rightie fanatics, will such laws survive constitutional challenges?
as of now SCOTUS still has a very very very slight left lean, but that will change if trump gets a 3rd nom

Gorsuch isn't really a rightie fanatic (he's sided with the left a few times) and Kav hasn't really shown a rightie fanatic side on the court (yet) so let's keep our fingers crossed

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
this is the thread for discussing all gun violence and homicides in our Country,

and what we're going to do about it

What about gun violence in our Country.

1. the Highest Homicide Rate in the US was during Clinton's assault weapons ban.. ( you know get rid of scary guns and we will be safe Myth)
2. The Homicide rate DECLINED 60% from 10/100K to 4/100K AFTER we ended the ban, and Licensed 15-20,000,000 average Janes and Joes to carry a gun on their hip EVERY WHERE THEY GO.
3. the lowest homicide rate on record is during a period where EVERY PERSON man woman and many children carried a gun ALL THE TIME (this was called the wild west)
4. after the passage of a major gun control law, the murder rate increased by 2-3 fold.

UK and Canada passed gun bans in their countries, the murder rate did not change, did not effect the murder rate.

The odds of a person being murdered in:

The Canada is 0.000002:1
the UK is 0.000002:1
The US is 0.000004:1

They gave up a right, for Safety it did not make them safer and While we gained a right to bear arms made more accessable and our safety increased by 60%

Jul 2019
Georgia
@se7en My Question is how come it is LESS of a safety issue when gun controls are minimal, and murder is a greater issue during strict gun control periods?
there really hasn't been a strict gun control period in modern times. Assault weapons ban isn't strict gun control.

I'm not even advocating for strict gun control. There is an issue, and I'd even say it's an epidemic. I do believe some measures should be taken.

At this juncture in time though, even small measures won't be taken, so I guess it's a moot point.

Jul 2018
Earth
I don't think other countries that don't have major gun violence issues like America does do all that, but okay.

Frankly I hope the NRA self-implodes (which it seems to be slowly doing). Or maybe just vote out all the politicians who's pockets are filled with NRA money. After that maybe measures can be taken.
Why do you want to live in a police state?

Jul 2019
Georgia
most Americans recognize the problem

from the below article:

58% of Americans have confidence that stricter gun laws would reduce mass shootings, while 41% remain skeptical.

6 in 10 fear a mass shooting; most think gun laws can help: POLL

6 in 10 fear a mass shooting; most think gun laws can help: POLL

76% think improved mental health monitoring and treatment would reduce mass shootings. 89% support background checks for gun purchases, including for sales at gun shows. 86% support "red flag" laws that allow police to take firearms away from people found by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others.