Anarchy: What It Is and Why Pop Culture Loves It

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
What is anarchism?
Anarchism is a radical, revolutionary leftist political philosophy that advocates for the abolition of government, hierarchy, and all other unequal systems of power. It seeks to replace what its proponents view as inherently oppressive institutions — like a capitalist society or the prison industrial complex — with nonhierarchical, horizontal structures powered by voluntary associations between people. Anarchists organize around a key set of principles, including horizontalism, mutual aid, autonomy, solidarity, direct action, and direct democracy, a form of democracy in which the people make decisions themselves via consensus (as opposed to representative democracy, of which the United States government is an example).
"Anarchism as a philosophy lends itself to many ideas. There is no one way to be an anarchist.

Classic anarchist traditions include mutualism, which is situated at the nexus of individual and collectivist thought; anarcho-communism, which favors community ownership of the means of production, and the abolishment of the state and capitalism; anarcho-syndicalism, which views unions, the working class, and the labor movement as potential forces for revolutionary change; and individualism, which has similarities with libertarianism, and emphasizes individual freedom above all. More recent, more post-modern schools of thought, including anarcha-feminism, Black anarchism, queer anarchism, green or eco-anarchism, and anarcho-pacifism, have found firm footing in today’s anarchist communities.

Anarcho-capitalism, which is interested in self-ownership and free markets, is much rarer, and is considered by most anarchists to be illegitimate because of anarchism’s inherent opposition to capitalism.

Everything You Should Know About Anarchism

Gotta love teen vogue.

Dec 2016
Canada
So, why do you or me need to know about anarchism and its different variations?
Anarchists are opposed to property ownership, so that eliminates libertarians as allies.
Personally, I don't believe anarchism can work over an extended period of time, because someone who has power over others...even if its by the traditional means of having the largest family....offhand this is why Yahweh blesses his favorite patriarchs with many sons...so they have the biggest private army. Study of traditional hunter-gatherer societies shows that they fit the bill as being essentially anarchists; but this is mostly because they have to move frequently from one location to another. And even if they have regular seasonal foraging and hunting grounds, it still eliminates the concept of property ownership, and limits materialism also....since you got to carry it with you when it's time to break camp!

Occupy Wall Street and other occupy groups were set up as anarchist collectives, and one of my cousins...who still lived near Zucotti Park in NYC in 2011, wanted to help them out...financially, though he wasn't much interested in living in a tent city! When I talked with him about it, he felt the biggest weakness of OWS was the horizontal leadership that Teen Vogue article talks about. It's a fancy name for demanding unanimous consent for every stupid decision that has to be made! btw, props to Teen Vogue! I didn't expect that a fashion magazine aimed at teenage or younger girls, were in the business of trying to educate their audience. My cousin also noticed that he had little success in trying to talk them into 'occupying' some available property...so they couldn't be evicted...which eventually happened nationwide. There was a small contingent of OWS who left the park before the raid and set up shop in the Rockaways...the very cheap and derelict port district of New York that had no transit service and was later inundated by Hurricane Sandy. And, they were able to put their community activism to work by forming the Occupy Sandy relief effort. And, though ignored by the MSM and political class, they did more with far less money than the Red Cross and other bloated, overpriced agencies did! So, even if they were unknown heroes elsewhere, many locals were impressed by the work of that group of anarchists.