Ancestry Kit

Dec 2015
Arizona
I just ordered my Ancestry kit from Ancestry.com. I'm anxious to see if there are any surprises. One of the reasons for this sudden interest is that I found out about 4 months ago that I have a sister--actually a step sister.
It seems my step-mother, Ellen, had a child out-of-wedlock during the war and gave her up for adoption. It was top secret in the family! One day, out of the blue, I got a phone call and the lady on the other end said she was searching for her biological family so she did her DNA through Ancestry and there was a familial match with my first cousin (by marriage), Jake. Then she said "I think I'm your sister"! WOW! I always thought I was an only child so to find out I had a sister was awesome news. We've been communicating (she lives in CA) and she is so great.
I'm excited. Has anyone else done their DNA? Any surprises?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
You do realize that those companies sell your genetic code, right? and that they have been used to illegal obtain dna for government purposes. Furthermore there have been a number of instances where the information was suspicious to say the least.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Jon had his done - it was exactly as he expected.
I didn't have mine done - but the ancestry on both my mother's and father's side of the family is pretty well documented for quite a few generations. And - heh heh - I'm not interested enough to pay a hundred bucks to delve further :p

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Good for you Clara. I don't need to do that. I know all about my family and its history. Unfortunately.

Dec 2015
Arizona
You do realize that those companies sell your genetic code, right? and that they have been used to illegal obtain dna for government purposes. Furthermore there have been a number of instances where the information was suspicious to say the least.

Sab Sweetie! I keep telling you to buy an island and live off the grid. Obviously you have no business living in this scary ol' world.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I didn't have mine done - but the ancestry on both my mother's and father's side of the family is pretty well documented for quite a few generations. And - heh heh - I'm not interested enough to pay a hundred bucks to delve further :p

I think my father's side is pretty accurate and well documented but not my mother's. She just wasn't interested. I AM! There MAY be no surprises, but I want to know.
My "surprise" sister reminded me that there ARE family secrets. Think how this DNA has changed and will continue to change our world--or lives. Think how many new "daddies" there may be and how many new "families" will be found....OH and criminals. Law enforcement must LOVE THIS!

Dec 2015
Arizona

The kits are on sale for $59!! LOL