Ancestry Kit

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I just ordered my Ancestry kit from Ancestry.com. I'm anxious to see if there are any surprises. One of the reasons for this sudden interest is that I found out about 4 months ago that I have a sister--actually a step sister.
It seems my step-mother, Ellen, had a child out-of-wedlock during the war and gave her up for adoption. It was top secret in the family! One day, out of the blue, I got a phone call and the lady on the other end said she was searching for her biological family so she did her DNA through Ancestry and there was a familial match with my first cousin (by marriage), Jake. Then she said "I think I'm your sister"! WOW! I always thought I was an only child so to find out I had a sister was awesome news. We've been communicating (she lives in CA) and she is so great.
I'm excited. Has anyone else done their DNA? Any surprises?
I had the DNA test done a couple of months ago and was surprised a bit. Family legend was that we had some Native American blood from my fathers side. I knew we had a lot of Irish from my mom's side of the family. But the tests came back and said that over 50% of my DNA was from Ireland and the Brits. Another 25% from western Europe, Germany and France. The surprise was that all the rest, that was detectable, was from Scandinavia. No detectable DNA that was Native American, African, Middle eastern or Asian! Hell, i thought we all had at least a little DNA from Africa.
At least that explains all of us in the family with light hair and blue or green eyes!

May 2018
USA
My stupid sisters (including my twin sister) both sent in their DNA to one of those outfits. First off how funny they BOTH sent it..were they suspecting Mom and the milkman had something going? Thanks to those huzzies I can't leave any evidence behind, quashing my potential career as a serial killer :(

However on the plus side, got to find out what kinda ethnic goo is inside. 63% Northern European, 34 % Central European, and 3% Arabic. 3% Arabic? Where the hell did that come from, lol. After I saw that I teased my dad with "Allujah Akbar!!!" a few times (he laughed, heartily). I figure what happened is one of our ancestors came back from the crusades with an Arabic wife.

Oh yeah, just like Hollywood's family mine expected to see Native American in our DNA: none was found.

Last edited:
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Why go through all that effort when they can get pints of free DNA every day from hotel sheets?

They just arrested a suspended serial killer from the 70s by going thru those databases. He never turned anything in but some cousin or some shit did. Nothing good can come of this. Not to mention the drug companies, advertisers. It is proven and admitted that they are targeting people on both psychological and molecular levels for purposes of advertising. How far can they go when they not only have your psych profile from the interwebs but your genetic code also. Add that in w/ the inevitable emerging AI.

People are all worried about lord trump sneaking up and grabbing their squish as they turn over every possible thing to the corporations and pay for the privilege.

Silly.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
You do realize that those companies sell your genetic code, right? .
what is your concern in this regard?

and that they have been used to illegal obtain dna for government purposes.
Why does the government covert illegal DNA?

Furthermore there have been a number of instances where the information was suspicious to say the least
I know one of the guys on the team that made all this DNA genetic testing possible and there is no chicanery.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Nothing good can come of this.

They just arrested a suspended serial killer from the 70s by going thru those databases. He never turned anything in but some cousin or some shit did.

Seems some good already came of this.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
They just arrested a suspended serial killer from the 70s by going thru those databases. He never turned anything in but some cousin or some shit did.

If you are not a terrorist you have nothing to worry about;

If you are not a terrorist you have nothing to worry about;-)

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
what is your concern in this regard?

Why does the government covert illegal DNA?

I know one of the guys on the team that made all this DNA genetic testing possible and there is no chicanery.

when Inside Edition had a set of triplets send their spit in to Ancestry.com and 23andMe, they got wildly different results from both services. Neither gave each triplet the same ancestry results -- which, considering they all came from the same womb, is pretty weird.
"Tests can be a crapshoot. For DNA tests, they use genetic markers, which are little variations in the DNA one or several groups may have, but others do not. The more markers there are, the more accurate the test will be."
Some companies may use 12, 37, or 67, while others claim to use more than 700,000 different markers. Any of those numbers can sound impressive with the right marketing spin behind them, but the simple fact of the matter is that nobody's method is perfect. "The best we can do is give a certain range based on those markers (or show who they are most similar to), and sometimes we'll move up a percentage point of an ethnic group if it doesn't add up to 100 percent."
Inside Edition found differences of over 10 percent between the triplets they tested. That is not a small gap. If you were off by 10 percent on a DNA test, you could technically be a mouse. Maybe it's unreasonable to expect perfect accuracy from saliva you mailed to a lab. But a lot of people do anyway, and Morgan winds up dealing with their complaints.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html