Another accelerating effect on warming

Apr 2013
Left coast
Here's one that I hadn't thought about. Due to the ever increasing number and severity of forest fires, the extra smoke particulates are turning glaciers black which of course makes them absorb more sunlight and thus melt much faster.

And on it goes.

@imaginethat are you seeing this around your area?

Soot and smoke contribute to melting of glaciers, as darkening ice absorbs more sunlight

Ben Pelto has been monitoring glaciers for the past five years as part of a research project at the University of Northern British Columbia. (Margot Vore)

Researchers are concerned over what they are calling the darkening of the ice on western Canadian glaciers, which is caused by smoke and ash from nearby wildfires. (Margot Vore)

Darkening glaciers: Scientists examine wildfire effect on Canadian ice | CBC News

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Here's one that I hadn't thought about. Due to the ever increasing number and severity of forest fires, the extra smoke particulates are turning glaciers black which of course makes them absorb more sunlight and thus melt much faster.

And on it goes.

@imaginethat are you seeing this around your area?

Soot and smoke contribute to melting of glaciers, as darkening ice absorbs more sunlight

Ben Pelto has been monitoring glaciers for the past five years as part of a research project at the University of Northern British Columbia. (Margot Vore)

Researchers are concerned over what they are calling the darkening of the ice on western Canadian glaciers, which is caused by smoke and ash from nearby wildfires. (Margot Vore)

Darkening glaciers: Scientists examine wildfire effect on Canadian ice | CBC News
Since I've lived here, 1981, dust from the redlands of Utah often blows in late-winter/early spring. It accelerates the snowmelt.

May 2018
Chicago
I've lived in Chicago for 26 years now. It used to be we had crazy winters here. Now we have hardly any snow and it never gets all that cold anymore. For example, our high today is 55 degrees. In January. That's messed up. We're scheduled to have a few colder days in the 20s this week, but then it goes right back up to the high 40s. Anyone who denies climate change is an idiot.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Increased temperatures, obviously, also result in hot places getting hotter. So for people who live in, let's just say, central america and the middle east, it's going to become more and more difficult to live there. So what do people do when they don't want to live somewhere? They immigrate elsewhere.

But I'm sure increased immigration from the middle east and central america won't bother anyone

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I've lived in Chicago for 26 years now. It used to be we had crazy winters here. Now we have hardly any snow and it never gets all that cold anymore. For example, our high today is 55 degrees. In January. That's messed up. We're scheduled to have a few colder days in the 20s this week, but then it goes right back up to the high 40s. Anyone who denies climate change is an idiot.

Wait. I thought that the day to day weather is not and example of global warming/cooling/climate change/sky is falling?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Increased temperatures, obviously, also result in hot places getting hotter. So for people who live in, let's just say, central america and the middle east, it's going to become more and more difficult to live there. So what do people do when they don't want to live somewhere? They immigrate elsewhere.

But I'm sure increased immigration from the middle east and central america won't bother anyone
Really you do understand we have had 5 warming periods in the last 400,000 years... of the 5 guess which one is the coolest of the 5. (The current warming period)