Another Example Of What Republicans Have In Store

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
For the country if they ever gain total control:

GOP Pennsylvania lawmaker yells over Dem reading letter from former homeless man in viral video

"Pennsylvania’s state Senate erupted this week during debate over a bill that ended funding for the some of the poorest residents, leading a Republican lawmaker to shout over his Democratic colleague for nearly three minutes.

Republicans have pushed to end the General Assistance program but Democrats on Wednesday introduced amendments to save the monthly funding for certain populations, such as domestic violence victims, people with disabilities or veterans, Penn Live reported.

Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman (R) made a motion to cut off the debate and called for a vote.

Democratic Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who was presiding over the chamber, temporarily left the platform to speak with angry lawmakers. Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati (R), who leads the chamber when the lieutenant governor is absent, seized the opportunity to grab the gavel and asked for a vote on Corman’s motion.

Democrats walked off the floor and when they returned, Fetterman acknowledged freshman state Sen. Katie Muth (D) instead of starting the vote. Muth began reading a letter from John Boyd, a formerly homeless man from Philadelphia who said the state’s program was a “second chance at life.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood
Jul 2018
Earth
For the country if they ever gain total control:

GOP Pennsylvania lawmaker yells over Dem reading letter from former homeless man in viral video

"Pennsylvania’s state Senate erupted this week during debate over a bill that ended funding for the some of the poorest residents, leading a Republican lawmaker to shout over his Democratic colleague for nearly three minutes.

Republicans have pushed to end the General Assistance program but Democrats on Wednesday introduced amendments to save the monthly funding for certain populations, such as domestic violence victims, people with disabilities or veterans, Penn Live reported.

Senate Majority Leader Jake Corman (R) made a motion to cut off the debate and called for a vote.

Democratic Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who was presiding over the chamber, temporarily left the platform to speak with angry lawmakers. Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati (R), who leads the chamber when the lieutenant governor is absent, seized the opportunity to grab the gavel and asked for a vote on Corman’s motion.

Democrats walked off the floor and when they returned, Fetterman acknowledged freshman state Sen. Katie Muth (D) instead of starting the vote. Muth began reading a letter from John Boyd, a formerly homeless man from Philadelphia who said the state’s program was a “second chance at life.”
This article seems to provide some background on the issue =

Cash for the poor? General Assistance welfare again under threat in Pa.
The money – roughly $200 a month – comes from Pennsylvania’s General Assistance program. As of January, the most recent month for which data is available, there were more than 6,678 enrollees in the program. More than half of them live in Philadelphia. Allegheny County has then next most, with 587 enrollees.

General Assistance is for low-income residents who need help, but don’t qualify for traditional welfare because they don’t have dependents.
Cash for the poor? General Assistance welfare again under threat in Pa.

As usual, some whites go nuts at the idea of black people getting welfare.

https://flic.kr/p/8uv9kP Blacks Regularly Denied Public Charity In the South - January, 1933
flickr.com album-72157624428147638/

edited for more details

May 2018
Chicago
This disgusted me earlier today. My family has a vacation home in Allegheny National Forest. We've had it since the 70s. I can tell you this right now- you have never seen poverty until you've been to Sheffield, PA. It's pretty terrible.

When I saw what happened in the PA Senate, I immediately tweeted Jake Corman to condemn what they did today. I also tweeted Katie Muth, praising her for standing up. A lot of the people in the Allegheny area are really struggling. $200 a month for people just trying to stay alive is a pittance. It's nothing. But Corman and the GOP in PA decided it was just too much. That is insane to me.

I have many fond memories of our place there. We spent summers every year there. I've watched as it's gone downhill over the years. It's wrong and sad.

The 2012 childhood poverty rate by school district was: Warren County School District - 46.1% living at 185% or below than the Federal Poverty Level and Titusville Area School District - 57.9%.[12] The child poverty rate is collected by the school districts as part of them operating the federal, free school lunch program.
Warren County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia

But asshole Corman thinks that $200 a month is just too much to help poor folks in PA. That is so wrong it makes me want to spit nails at him.

Just an example of how bad it is- we only go to our place there in the summers, because winter makes the roads not drivable. Every year we come back, someone has broken into our place. They take all the canned food out of the cupboards and leave a mess. There's not really anything we can do, we just have to fix whatever is broken.

So, I will say this again, fuck the right and fuck the GOP. They have no interest in making this country better. And it's damn time we all recognize that.

There's definitely an enemy of the people, but it most certainly is not the press.

Last edited:
Reactions: imaginethat
May 2019
USA
I get conflicted about this issue as do a lot of people whether they will admit it or not and whether they proclaim some hard left or hard right stance. I see so many people just milking the system and often using the system to subsidize their substance abuse. At the same time, I also see so many people who aren't dead beats or addicts who truly need help and struggle against life every single day just to have basic things, forced to live in substandard housing and eat horribly unhealthy foods because they are cheap. Wish I had a magic solution, but I do not.

Reactions: imaginethat
Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
I get conflicted about this issue as do a lot of people whether they will admit it or not and whether they proclaim some hard left or hard right stance. I see so many people just milking the system and often using the system to subsidize their substance abuse.
And the greater numbers of those are in that 1-20% that Trump, and the Repubiicans, gave over a trillion dollars to.

Rich Kids and Drugs: Addiction May Hit Wealthy Students Hardest

Last edited:
Jul 2018
Earth
This disgusted me earlier today. My family has a vacation home in Allegheny National Forest. We've had it since the 70s. I can tell you this right now- you have never seen poverty until you've been to Sheffield, PA. It's pretty terrible.

When I saw what happened in the PA Senate, I immediately tweeted Jake Corman to condemn what they did today. I also tweeted Katie Muth, praising her for standing up. A lot of the people in the Allegheny area are really struggling. $200 a month for people just trying to stay alive is a pittance. It's nothing. But Corman and the GOP in PA decided it was just too much. That is insane to me.

I have many fond memories of our place there. We spent summers every year there. I've watched as it's gone downhill over the years. It's wrong and sad.

Warren County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia

But asshole Corman thinks that $200 a month is just too much to help poor folks in PA. That is so wrong it makes me want to spit nails at him.

Just an example of how bad it is- we only go to our place there in the summers, because winter makes the roads not drivable. Every year we come back, someone has broken into our place. They take all the canned food out of the cupboards and leave a mess. There's not really anything we can do, we just have to fix whatever is broken.

So, I will say this again, fuck the right and fuck the GOP. They have no interest in making this country better. And it's damn time we all recognize that.

There's definitely an enemy of the people, but it most certainly is not the press.
There is nothing more important than where you live. It determines everything.

In this particular instance, I'm sure that the Repub hostility against the program was because of the black guy's letter, which represents everything that they hate. So they are willing to harm countless other people simply because to give aid would help that specific black guy, and they hate that more than anything else. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, every issue in America is based on white/black relations. All other points are insignificant in comparison.

Reactions: leekohler2
May 2018
USA
The wingers have no regard for decency or morals, why should they have any for common courtesy or empathy?