Anti-gay hate group misappropriates wedding photo

Jun 2008
Northern California
http://news.yahoo.com/couples-wedding-photo-turned-anti-gay-political-smear-183726633.html

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]

[font=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]

"I tell you what – I never saw that coming, would you?" wrote Brian Edwards. Well, we wouldn't have. But then again, no one--gay or straight--really expects their wedding pictures will end up in a political smear campaign arguing that your wedding is immoral. What happened to Brian is pretty wretched, and it actually involves a GOP Colorado senate race involving Rep. Randy Baumgardner and Sen. Jean White --miles and miles removed from New Jersey where Edwards and his partner Tom Privitere make their home.

RELATED: Churches Battle Over Billboards (Oh, and Gay People)

You see, Baumgardner and White are in a heated political race for Colorado's Senate District 8. And like politics on the bigger scale, it's gotten nasty. Nasty enough that an outside group, the conservative, Virginia-based Public Advocate of the United States is involved in creating and funding anti-White mailers, by painting her as pro-gay. Despite its neutral-sounding name, Public Advocate is actually designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, thanks in part to its president Eugene Delgaudio, who has never been shy in declaring his anti-gay stance.

RELATED: Leisha Hailey's Bussing Fight with Southwest Airlines

White has a gay niece and gay nephew, and voted last year to allow same-sex Colorado couples the right to civil unions reports the Denver Post's Lynn Bartels. And those are the reasons why Public Advocate targeted White. This is the ad they mailed out, which voters received on Monday:

RELATED: North Carolina Pastor: Trap Gays and Lesbians Behind Electrified Fences

RELATED: Dan Savage: Queer-on-Queer Glitter-Bombing Victim

Not cool. Not just for the its anti-gay stance and terrible photoshop, but the image used is in fact an unauthorized, copyrighted photo of Edwards and Privitere on their wedding day. Here's the original version, by photographer Kristina Hill:

RELATED: Fox News Doesn't Do Much Don't Ask, Don't Tell Coverage

Edwards did not find out about about the anti-gay mailer and their use of his photo until Wednesday night. Edwards wrote on his blog called The Gay Wedding Experience:

First off – I want to share what this picture means to me. It represents my first home away from home, my beloved NYC, which at the time this image was taken (2 years ago) did not allow same sex couples to marry. It represents my longterm relationship with my best friend, my partner, and now husband — the love we share and obstacles we have overcome. It is a reminder of the happiness I felt the day he proposed to me and of the excitement I had all throughout our engagement. It represents hope and it represents love. Or at least it did…​

And now? "Now I see it faded and brown with a big red, blood-emulating slash across our bodies."wrote Edwards. "It cuts us in half just below our hearts. How do I feel? I’m in shock and I’m angry and I’m hurt and I’m flabbergasted and I’m livid."

According to the Denver Post, Edwards and Privitere hired lawyers. And photographer Kristina Hill, who took the original photos, told The Atlantic Wire that the Professional Photographers of America are in the process of assisting her with the copyright issue. "To see an image, taken with that intent being used in the way it was used is heart-breaking for me," she wrote on her personal blog.

The Denver Post also spoke with Public Advocate's president Eugene Dalgaudio about the use, and this is what he told them:

We are a non-profit and make no money from any photos, postings, references, parodies, street theater or educational materials. Other groups make fair use of our materials or 2,000 photos from our website under these broad principles of political education and we acknowledge a limited use of many of our own materials, by other groups, under parody, some fairly strong critical attacks from our political opposition on our efforts as part of a robust debate.​

No, that doesn't really answer the question of intent and the seemingly malicious intent to ruin someone's wedding photo. And we don't really see how "since everyone is using our material, we're totally justified in photoshopping and manipulating the wedding photos of this random gay couple, who have nothing to do with us or the groups we don't like" excuse either.

[/font][/font]

Jun 2012
Pommyland
Of ALL the thousands of issues that can be debated what has gay rights become the main one here on DTT?

I really don't understand why this is so important to people. We have children molested, women trafficed as sex slaves, wars, suicides the question of the purpose of life, the postmodern identity issues, failing families, global warming, question of origin and the existance of God, Male/female gender roles, pollusion problems, coorporations poisoning drinking water and selling cigarettes which kills and get in the hands of minors....and of cause monkeys behind bars

What is it that makes the issue of gay rights so provoking to opposers and no vital to supporters? I for one would gladly side on either side of the fence on this one to have the other issues solved.

pensacola niceman

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Pensacola, FL
Of ALL the thousands of issues that can be debated what has gay rights become the main one here on DTT?

It's always been the dominate topic of discussion here. That's what most people want to talk about. Even threads that have nothing to do with gay rights often turn into a discussion about gays. Not sure why.

Jun 2008
Northern California

I really don't understand why this is so important to people. We have children molested, women trafficed as sex slaves, wars, suicides the question of the purpose of life, the postmodern identity issues, failing families, global warming, question of origin and the existance of God, Male/female gender roles, pollusion problems, coorporations poisoning drinking water and selling cigarettes which kills and get in the hands of minors....and of cause monkeys behind bars

What is it that makes the issue of gay rights so provoking to opposers and no vital to supporters? I for one would gladly side on either side of the fence on this one to have the other issues solved.

So post whatever you want. You are here, you have the right to post any topics to any threads you want. I posted this, if you don't want to participate then don't.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Jun 2008
Northern California
Monkey' timestamp='1341009646' post='410018 said:

It's always been the dominate topic of discussion here. That's what most people want to talk about. Even threads that have nothing to do with gay rights often turn into a discussion about gays. Not sure why.

Because some people are obsessed with gays, even though they profess not to be gay. I won't mention any names, but I am sure you know to whom I refer.

pensacola niceman

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Pensacola, FL
pensacola_niceman' timestamp='1341009924' post='410021 said:
[quote name='Monkey' timestamp='1341009646' post='410018']

Because some people are obsessed with gays, even though they profess not to be gay. I won't mention any names, but I am sure you know to whom I refer.

[/quote]

Yes, I totally agree with you on that

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
pensacola_niceman' timestamp='1341009924' post='410021 said:

[/quote]

I never suspected PN of being gay but it's pretty obvious shriek is trying to hide something.

pensacola niceman

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Pensacola, FL
knowuryder' timestamp='1341010338' post='410025 said:
[quote name='pensacola_niceman' timestamp='1341009924' post='410021']

[/quote]

I never suspected PN of being gay but it's pretty obvious shriek is trying to hide something.

[/quote]

How gay

Jun 2008
Northern California
You might as well lock the thread PN if nobody is interested in actually addressing the OP. I was curious to see if anyone thought this was OK to take the photo of this wedding and turn into an anti-gay political ad.

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
gary' timestamp='1341011006' post='410030 said:
[quote name='knowuryder' timestamp='1341010338' post='410025']

[quote name='pensacola_niceman' timestamp='1341009924' post='410021']

[/quote]

[/quote]

How gay

[/quote]

I hear he makes some fabulous flower displays with super doiles.