Are people basically good?

Jun 2018
Toronto
People are evolutionary selected to act in the interest of the group they belong to. For a very long time, 99% of the last million years it was a small tribe of a couple of hundred people.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
People are evolutionary selected to act in the interest of the group they belong to. For a very long time, 99% of the last million years it was a small tribe of a couple of hundred people.

i am not sure what this means but man has only been around 200,000 years.

Jun 2018
Toronto
i am not sure what this means but man has only been around 200,000 years.

It means people are basically good to their family and a small tribe around them. Evolution, it's in our genes. At the same time people are not good to people at the other side of the globe or across the border. Again it's in our genes.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Good and Bad are labels invented by humans to describe behaviours of which they either approve or disapprove. How could anyone be totally one or the other?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Of course not.

We live in a universe where life takes life from other life forms for it's own benefit, to survive and prosper.

When you start with this basic truth, how could "good" dominate?
"Disgustipated"

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
"Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you!
Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus

This is necessary
This is necessary
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on...

This is necessary
This is necessary
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life...

This is necessary
This is necessary
[x3]

This is necessary
This is necessary
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life!

Jul 2018
Earth
I don't get it. I get the part about not believing in God or Jesus. I get the part about so-called "miracles". I get that the Bible has LOTS of contradictions----right out of the gate with Genesis. The plagues. The virgin birth. Boring parts like the genealogy. Lots of outrageous stuff.
I get the whole rejection that the Bible is the word of God and YEP--there is hate, jealousy, cruelty, violence, incest, killing, war, pestilence, and lots of really yucky stuff, but can I point out that .........

IT'S a BOOK. Just a BOOK. Maybe it's not really "The GOOD Book" as Christian's call it. But it's a BOOK.

It's a little astonishing to me that people get so worked up over it. There's a ton of history. Lots of parables and poetry. Stories that convey morals/values. Why the hatred?
Unlike some people, I don't hate the Bible. I think it is a beautifully written piece of literature. It is by far the best written religious fairy tale.

The Bible does not teach morality. It shows complete obedience and total loyalty to the Boss (the God character, the chief priest, the king, the family father, or the guy in charge). The stories illustrate one or more of the ethnocentric Ten Commandments (Exodus 34:11-28) in action. All of the stories are based on them or on Exodus 34:10, which is the basis for the miracles. Since the stories are used to demonstrate a point, they don't have to make sense. The listener, or reader, is supposed to associate the fables with a particular Commandment and to explain the consequences of it.

Here is an easy example. In the New Testament, the wise men brought gifts to baby Jesus. That story illustrates which one of the Ten Commandments and what does it symbolize?

There isn't too much history in it except in the books of the Maccabees.

Oct 2010
Colorado
"Disgustipated"

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
"Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you!
Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus

This is necessary
This is necessary

This is necessary
This is necessary
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life...

This is necessary
This is necessary
[x3]

This is necessary
This is necessary
Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life!

Amen!