Are there any positions you have that buck the narrative

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
We like to categorize things. So if you're a Republican, that must mean you believe in X, Y, and Z. If your a Democrat then you have to believe A, B, and C.

However we all know it doesn't always work that way. So are there any areas you don't fall in line with the party you identify yourself with?

For example, I lean left but I'm largely anti-unions. I think they were great in theory and good in initial practice, but I think they're largely a detriment for progress. How many times do we hear about a crappy teacher who keeps their job because of tenure? I remember hearing a story that the Washington DC Super was negotiating with the teachers union and proposed a $5,000 raise for every teacher in the district, but in return the union would loosen restrictions on tenure and make it easier to fire poor performing teachers. The union said no.

That's just my personal example. But how about everyone else?

Nov 2012
nirvana
We like to categorize things. So if you're a Republican, that must mean you believe in X, Y, and Z. If your a Democrat then you have to believe A, B, and C.

However we all know it doesn't always work that way. So are there any areas you don't fall in line with the party you identify yourself with?

For example, I lean left but I'm largely anti-unions. I think they were great in theory and good in initial practice, but I think they're largely a detriment for progress. How many times do we hear about a crappy teacher who keeps their job because of tenure? I remember hearing a story that the Washington DC Super was negotiating with the teachers union and proposed a $5,000 raise for every teacher in the district, but in return the union would loosen restrictions on tenure and make it easier to fire poor performing teachers. The union said no.

That's just my personal example. But how about everyone else?
The reason we have the wage disparity we have now is because of anti union sentiment.

It is people like you that will continue to dumb down the workforce and hurt the workers ability to bargain for better wages and benefits when the corporations that just bought back a trillion dollars of their own stock due to a tax break they didn’t need or deserve can god Damn well afford to pay them. As a proud union electrician that sees a decline in the quality of work and the shortage of young people who are entering the trades which is going to provide you in the future with substandard building practices and substandard labor building it. Go hire yourself some vegetable pickers if that’s what you think and let me know how that works out for you.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Try being a fiscal conservative and a social progressive. Very many people in the US if not most, and more and more in Canada look at you like you belong in a padded room.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
The reason we have the wage disparity we have now is because of anti union sentiment.

It is people like you that will continue to dumb down the workforce and hurt the workers ability to bargain for better wages and benefits when the corporations that just bought back a trillion dollars of their own stock due to a tax break they didn’t need or deserve can god Damn well afford to pay them. As a proud union electrician that sees a decline in the quality of work and the shortage of young people who are entering the trades which is going to provide you in the future with substandard building practices and substandard labor building it. Go hire yourself some vegetable pickers if that’s what you think and let me know how that works out for you.
As soon as the Jimmy Hoffa influence is gone I might consider it but unions are still rank with corruption and injustice.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin

1. Thank you for not addressing the question of the OP
2. My father in law is a union plumber/welder. Two of my best friends are teachers. They don't all agree with me, but they don't counter my arguments with "It is people like you...". They recognize that, you know, it's kind of a poor way to forward a conversation

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Try being a fiscal conservative and a social progressive. Very many people in the US if not most, and more and more in Canada look at you like you belong in a padded room.
Would you describe yourself as a libertarian?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
:eek: dang. Don't see that position too often
I see a direct correlation between the violence i see on the nightly news and the violence we experienced during prohibition. 70% of the prison population is NON violent drug offenders. We have more people in prison than China who has four times our population. We spend billions of dollars per year fighting the "war on drugs" and yet we stop less than 2% of the drugs flowing into this country.

I say legalize tax and regulate. The first thing it would do is DEFUND the narco terrorists operating in Mexico, Central and South America. It would like wise defund the Taliban in Afghanistan. We are paying farmers to NOT grow food. Let them switch over to pot, poppy and coca. Billions in farm subsidies saved. Commute all non violent drug sentences, expunge their records and reduce prison population by 70%. More billions saved. Cops spend more time on real crimes rather than feeding the for profit prison system with minor drug offenders. The only reason drugs are as expensive as they are is because they are ILLEGAL. Taxed and regulated for purity and sterility would turn a multi-billion dollar drain on our resources into a revenue generator. Clean drugs would reduce over doses and the spread of diseases like AIDS and Hep C.

Nobody will be fighting over drug "territory" or drug deals gone bad when they can walk into a store and LEGALLY buy what they want or need. It's easier for our kids to get drugs than tobacco or alcohol. Because there isn't enough profit in selling those items illegally.

Frankly I think the same would be true of legalizing prostitution. I think we could put a huge dent in the trafficking trade if it were legal.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Would you describe yourself as a libertarian?
No. Up until about 4 years ago I agreed with much of what then was the Libertarian Party of the US or whatever it's official name was. But since then it has morphed away from that to where it is too extreme about government out of everything.

I think we need government regulations of a lot of things.