Are there any positions you have that buck the narrative

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
No. Up until about 4 years ago I agreed with much of what then was the Libertarian Party of the US or whatever it's official name was. But since then it has morphed away from that to where it is too extreme about government out of everything.

I think we need government regulations of a lot of things.
So you're someone who believes, to sum, leave me and my money alone, live your life how ever you want to live so long as it doesn't hurt me, and government needs to interject on essential aspects of life to make sure individuals aren't cutting corners. More or less?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I see a direct correlation between the violence i see on the nightly news and the violence we experienced during prohibition. 70% of the prison population is NON violent drug offenders. We have more people in prison than China who has four times our population. We spend billions of dollars per year fighting the "war on drugs" and yet we stop less than 2% of the drugs flowing into this country.

I say legalize tax and regulate. The first thing it would do is DEFUND the narco terrorists operating in Mexico, Central and South America. It would like wise defund the Taliban in Afghanistan. We are paying farmers to NOT grow food. Let them switch over to pot, poppy and coca. Billions in farm subsidies saved. Commute all non violent drug sentences, expunge their records and reduce prison population by 70%. More billions saved. Cops spend more time on real crimes rather than feeding the for profit prison system with minor drug offenders. The only reason drugs are as expensive as they are is because they are ILLEGAL. Taxed and regulated for purity and sterility would turn a multi-billion dollar drain on our resources into a revenue generator. Clean drugs would reduce over doses and the spread of diseases like AIDS and Hep C.

Nobody will be fighting over drug "territory" or drug deals gone bad when they can walk into a store and LEGALLY buy what they want or need. It's easier for our kids to get drugs than tobacco or alcohol. Because there isn't enough profit in selling those items illegally.

Frankly I think the same would be true of legalizing prostitution. I think we could put a huge dent in the trafficking trade if it were legal.
I'm with you on marijuana, I'm with you on psychedelics, I might even be with you on certain types of cocaine. Harder drugs, I'd have to see the arguments for legalization (mostly because I'm just ignorant on the topic). I'm with you that legalization of drugs DRAMATICALLY reduces a lot of the crime rate issues we see in the US.

I think it was Seattle that set up safe, sterilized places for people to use heroin (didn't provide the drugs, just the environment). They've seen a DRAMATIC reduction in overdoses because A. All the equipment is clean and B. There is an active medical staff on hand in case something goes wrong, which it does. I don't know if this is a solution that can be implemented nationally, but it shows there is benefit to regulating drug use.

I used to also be with you on the legalization of prostitution. I'm now a bit more on the fence. Again, I'd have to see the arguments.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
So you're someone who believes, to sum, leave me and my money alone, live your life how ever you want to live so long as it doesn't hurt me, and government needs to interject on essential aspects of life to make sure individuals aren't cutting corners. More or less?
More or less correct. One place that doesn't describe me is my complex view towards, let me use a very broad and inclusive term, welfare. I don't advocate eliminating or even cutting welfare. But I do believe in some intelligent variation of workfare. And again, the word "work" in that term is used loosely. Giving something for nothing is wrong. But people need assistance at times. How to intelligently achieve that is difficult but could be done IMO. We would need to do the impossible first though, get politics out of it.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I'm with you on marijuana, I'm with you on psychedelics, I might even be with you on certain types of cocaine. Harder drugs, I'd have to see the arguments for legalization (mostly because I'm just ignorant on the topic). I'm with you that legalization of drugs DRAMATICALLY reduces a lot of the crime rate issues we see in the US.

I think it was Seattle that set up safe, sterilized places for people to use heroin (didn't provide the drugs, just the environment). They've seen a DRAMATIC reduction in overdoses because A. All the equipment is clean and B. There is an active medical staff on hand in case something goes wrong, which it does. I don't know if this is a solution that can be implemented nationally, but it shows there is benefit to regulating drug use.

I used to also be with you on the legalization of prostitution. I'm now a bit more on the fence. Again, I'd have to see the arguments.
Drugs is very complex. To simplify my position, yes, legalize it all. Greater Vancouver, where I live has had "safe injection sites" for a long time and they do help. Including help in getting adicts into programs.

As to prostitution, it isn't known as the world's oldest profession for no reason. Getting the pimps, organized crime and slave traders out of it would be a net benefit to start out with.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
More or less correct. One place that doesn't describe me is my complex view towards, let me use a very broad and inclusive term, welfare. I don't advocate eliminating or even cutting welfare. But I do believe in some intelligent variation of workfare. And again, the word "work" in that term is used loosely. Giving something for nothing is wrong. But people need assistance at times. How to intelligently achieve that is difficult but could be done IMO. We would need to do the impossible first though, get politics out of it.
Welfare is an interesting position for me as well.

1. My wife worked for Ameri-corp (the peace-corp only in the US) and the first thing she did was sign up for food stamps because she basically spent a year making no money. She needed it, but I can tell you she got more money than she needed.
2. Drug testing those who receive food stamps is statistically one of the dumbest investment states have done. Every state that has done it has LOST money because of the cost associated with testing and the percent of people who have the welfare removed is around 1%.
3. If someone is receiving welfare for not having work, should they be required to show they're attempting to find work? On it's face, I don't see a problem with it. The state is helping you out when you're on hard times, but that doesn't mean the supply should be bottomless.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Drugs is very complex. To simplify my position, yes, legalize it all. Greater Vancouver, where I live has had "safe injection sites" for a long time and they do help. Including help in getting adicts into programs.

As to prostitution, it isn't known as the world's oldest profession for no reason. Getting the pimps, organized crime and slave traders out of it would be a net benefit to start out with.
Bah! Vancouver. I was 3 hours off

And I understand removing laws around prostitution could reduce crime but I'd need to see the greater benefit. It leads into The Purge argument and asking where is the line (PS first movie was great, second was okay, third was terrible, forth was arrogant/great)? Similar/satirical hypothetical: If we make speeding legal, it reduces the number of speeding tickets and increases efficiency. But it also increases crashes and deaths. So is the benefit greater than the cost? I just haven't heard about the benefit to legalizing prostitution outside of reduces crime. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I just haven't seen it.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Welfare is an interesting position for me as well.

1. My wife worked for Ameri-corp (the peace-corp only in the US) and the first thing she did was sign up for food stamps because she basically spent a year making no money. She needed it, but I can tell you she got more money than she needed.
2. Drug testing those who receive food stamps is statistically one of the dumbest investment states have done. Every state that has done it has LOST money because of the cost associated with testing and the percent of people who have the welfare removed is around 1%.
3. If someone is receiving welfare for not having work, should they be required to show they're attempting to find work? On it's face, I don't see a problem with it. The state is helping you out when you're on hard times, but that doesn't mean the supply should be bottomless.
My suggestion about the out of work or single mother type workfare is you have to do something to get aid. Go to some education/trade classes, clean graffiti, work in a daycare that other mothers put their kids into to do other things, knit blankets for cancer patients or whatever. But sitting on your butt watching daytime TV is out.

I will never forget the disgust I felt when watching the end of some US cable news documentary waiting for some sports event to come on. Some woman displaced by Katrina was put up in a Houston motel by FEMA. They interviewed her more than 3 years later and she hadn't applied for one job in all that time. She hadn't even read the job ads or anything.

Well, that's just wrong.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Bah! Vancouver. I was 3 hours off

And I understand removing laws around prostitution could reduce crime but I'd need to see the greater benefit. It leads into The Purge argument and asking where is the line (PS first movie was great, second was okay, third was terrible, forth was arrogant/great)? Similar/satirical hypothetical: If we make speeding legal, it reduces the number of speeding tickets and increases efficiency. But it also increases crashes and deaths. So is the benefit greater than the cost? I just haven't heard about the benefit to legalizing prostitution outside of reduces crime. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I just haven't seen it.
Is it ideal? Hell no. But is it the world's oldest profession? Hell yes. Drugs and abuse apparently are the two biggest drivers to making women prostitute themselves, not counting the sex-slave thing. So if we legalize the drugs and take away the profit margin for the sex-slave trade, will it whither on it's own?

We ain't going to be able to instantly make parents and boyfriends benign.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Is it ideal? Hell no. But is it the world's oldest profession? Hell yes. Drugs and abuse apparently are the two biggest drivers to making women prostitute themselves, not counting the sex-slave thing. So if we legalize the drugs and take away the profit margin for the sex-slave trade, will it whither on it's own?

We ain't going to be able to instantly make parents and boyfriends benign.
It also delves into the argument if monogamy is beneficial. I say this as a straight married man who loves his wife and has no desire to be with another woman (gotta put that out there in case she stumbles across this :)). But is there an argument to be made that if prostitution were made legal, men and women would slowly feel less shame about wanting to have sex with others and it could BENEFIT the relationship. I believe I saw an article that divorces went DOWN in Holland after the legalization of prostitution (too lazy to fact check myself right now).

It's an interesting topic of debate. I could be swayed either way honestly.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
It also delves into the argument if monogamy is beneficial. I say this as a straight married man who loves his wife and has no desire to be with another woman (gotta put that out there in case she stumbles across this :)). But is there an argument to be made that if prostitution were made legal, men and women would slowly feel less shame about wanting to have sex with others and it could BENEFIT the relationship. I believe I saw an article that divorces went DOWN in Holland after the legalization of prostitution (too lazy to fact check myself right now).

It's an interesting topic of debate. I could be swayed either way honestly.
I'm just looking at the fact that while it's illegal it's also hidden. Bring it out into the open. Require regular health checks. Make sure no one underage is being forced into it. They only occasional bust the Johns, but they constantly bust the working girls. They rarely bust the pimps. I just think legal and regulated will do more to keep the abused and forced out of it.