Are there any positions you have that buck the narrative

Jun 2012
Barsoom
Anyone who works for a taxpayer supported government entity is guaranteed due process under the US Constitution and state Constitution.

Dec 2018
New England
We like to categorize things. So if you're a Republican, that must mean you believe in X, Y, and Z. If your a Democrat then you have to believe A, B, and C.

However we all know it doesn't always work that way. So are there any areas you don't fall in line with the party you identify yourself with?

For example, I lean left but I'm largely anti-unions. I think they were great in theory and good in initial practice, but I think they're largely a detriment for progress. How many times do we hear about a crappy teacher who keeps their job because of tenure? I remember hearing a story that the Washington DC Super was negotiating with the teachers union and proposed a $5,000 raise for every teacher in the district, but in return the union would loosen restrictions on tenure and make it easier to fire poor performing teachers. The union said no.

That's just my personal example. But how about everyone else?
FWIW, I think the problem is with public sector unions and the clear conflict of interest they create for elected officials who rely on their support. Other than penchant for strong-arm tactics, private sector unions are mostly harmless.

As for me, I'm extremely conservative on fiscal issues and law enforcement, but you'll find me left of center on gun control and capital punishment.

Dec 2018
New England
Bullshit. Teachers are not guaranteed anything.
Simply not true, at least in my state. Seniority is what drives pay raises and job security, and the teachers' unions protect this system viciously. If you doubt this, try suggesting merit pay for teachers at your next town hall (and then duck).

Dec 2018
New England
Tenure is one of the most misunderstood union concepts so let's get the facts v myths straight.
1) It IS possible to fire a tenured teacher. Tenure is not a lifetime job guarantee. Tenured teachers are guaranteed due process--that's it.
2) Tenure is not unique to the teacher profession. State, county and municipal workers, including police officers and firefighters, as well as many workers in the private sector, also have this type of due process right.
3)Tenure must be earned. There are probationary periods--usually 3 years-- and requirements which include certification and professional development classes. Many teachers don't make it through the probation period. Written evaluations/observations by administrators are required 1-2 times per year and go into the teacher's permanent file.
4) Tenure is a safeguard that lets good teachers speak out for their students without fear of reprisal. It is a safeguard that protects good teachers from unfair firing. Without tenure, teachers could and would be fired for virtually any reason, including personality conflicts and/or disagreements with admin. Teachers who are union members are more often at risk. Most administrators do NOT like unions even though they were (more than likely) members of a teacher's union at one time and may be current members of the AFSA (American Federation of School Administrators).
5) As with any process, there are exceptions. Some "bad" teachers have slipped through the system and some strong unions have protected them. These ARE exceptions--not the rule.
It is only possible to fire tenured teachers after gross negligence or rank incompetency. And there are far too many "exceptions," IMO.

Dec 2018
New England
Expanding on my union comments above, I'll say this. Those of us who to not belong to unions ought to understand that many of the employment benefits we enjoy come straight from the trade union movements dating back over a century ago. Weekends, health benefits, safe working conditions, and much more that we all take for granted as employees exists today because of what union organizers fought for and won long before our time. Those of us who work for a living are in their debt. Unions, on the whole, have been and remain a good thing.

Like FDR, however, I do have an issue with public sector unions because of the conflict of interest they create. What makes unions work in the private sector is that both sides of a labor negotiation are fairly represented: workers through their union leadership and the owners of the company through management. They meet. They haggle. They disagree. They compromise. They reach a deal that both sides can live with.

Public sector unions tip that balance when an elected official sits across the negotiating table from a union, and that same union’s endorsement is needed to keep that official in office. When it comes time to address a contentious issue, say pay raises, the public sector union is still in there swinging away for their members. The elected official, however, may be compromised. If union backing is key to winning that office he or she must face the unhappy possibility that the right thing to do for the taxpayers they represent is exactly what the endorsing union leadership does not want. This problem is further aggravated in one-party states, like mine, where, perhaps for all but gubernatorial candidates, party king-makers with control over the ballot have as much to do with who wins the next election as does the electorate.

Recognizing that public sector unions create an unhealthy environment in which to negotiate difficult issues does not make one anti-union. It just means that the problems unique to public sector unions may outweigh their benefits.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
My purpose of this thread was to get people talking about their own positions. I posted my position on unions as a simple example. It was not intended to be the focal point of the thread.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Eliminate the department of education

Eliminate all federal entitlement programs

Eliminate the federal minimum wage

Make social security optional. If you opt out all funds you have contributed are returned in a lump sum.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Eliminate the department of education

Eliminate all federal entitlement programs

Eliminate the federal minimum wage

Make social security optional. If you opt out all funds you have contributed are returned in a lump sum.
And for those who opt out, it becomes a capital crime with no appeals and instant execution if you whine about lacking something then needs to be added.