Are There Problems With the Boeing 737 Max? A Second Deadly Crash Raises New Questions

Jun 2018
South Dakota
This should have been sold as a new plane. The engines are moved forward on the wings, and they are more powerful. In a light load on this model it pushes the nose up very quickly which could lead to a stall which is why the MCAS

It appears that this specific model Max 8, had more powerful engines installed, and they were installed more to the front of the wings. This would cause the nose of the aircraft to want to rise more quickly, which could cause a stall. To counter this, the engineers at Boeing, installed the MCAS system to counter this. Boeing should have introduced this as a new plane, but to avoid the regulations, and associated costs, they sold it as the same plane with upgrades. With 56% of the total fleet currently grounded, and Boeing stock losing 8% of its value today. It will be a hard sell that both crashes are due solely to pilot error. We shall see.
As I pointed out in an earlier post the upengined -8 had a tendency to go nose up at 100% power. Which usually happens only at takeoff when the aircraft is the most vulnerable. The wings, at that time are also configured for higher lift to gain altitude so that might have an effect as well. Looking at the position of the engine it appears that some of the thrust from the turbofan portion of the engine is directed over the wing causing a dramatic increase in lift.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
As I pointed out in an earlier post the upengined -8 had a tendency to go nose up at 100% power. Which usually happens only at takeoff when the aircraft is the most vulnerable. The wings, at that time are also configured for higher lift to gain altitude so that might have an effect as well. Looking at the position of the engine it appears that some of the thrust from the turbofan portion of the engine is directed over the wing causing a dramatic increase in lift.
Another article on Fox today told us of the requirement for pilots to use the simulators on a regular basis, it was pointed out that the US has a requirement for many hours of expensive simulator time to practice emergency situations. Foreign airlines are said to cut corners in that area.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
El Paso, TX
It appears Trump considers himself smarter than all the aeronautical engineers and pilots:

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....

....needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!
Trump is certainly right here. I don't like Trump but at least he isn't from a generation that is entirely moronic scum which most of "the aeronautical engineers and pilots" are.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Trump is right to a degree. He decries the lack of dependence on a pilot who can take control of the aircraft in case of an out of parameters incident. Watching the landing of an airbus at San Francisco was a graphic demonstration of the pilots having nothing to do but input course, speed and altitude even rate of descent without really flying the aircraft. It used a fly-by-wire joystick like those on jet fighters.
Another interesting article.
List of Boeing 737 MAX orders and deliveries - Wikipedia

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
I know that the Pilots of the Ethiopian plane were very inexperienced.. Less than 700 hours of flight time to become a senior Crew.. in the US it is 1500 to 2000 hours to become a senior on the flight crew.

Dec 2018
Unionville Indiana
... The Wall Street Journal originally reported on February 10 that the “safety fixes” for the Boeing series, prompted by the Indonesian Lion Air Flight 610 accident in October, were delayed by the shutdown and negotiations between U.S. aviation officials and Boeing. They will not be available until at least April.

It must be stressed that the investigation into the cause of the crash of Flight ET302 – led by Ethiopian officials with assistance from the U.S – is just beginning, and no determination has yet been made, but expert observers have noticed similarities to what happened in the Indonesian crash. There were no survivors in either incident. ...

Report: U.S. government shutdown delayed Boeing ‘safety fix’

Tragic.