Are We Sick of Winning Yet? GM to slash 14,700 jobs in North America

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Difference is Ford is doing it like they did during the Obama recession, No bailouts and very little plant closings or layoffs by comparison.

Uhhh Ford already announced laying off 24,000 people. Admittedly most will be out side the US but Ford is undergoing a massive reorg. GM already sells more cars and generates more revenues with LESS people than Ford.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
So those folks who needed a new car or truck would have went without instead of buying a Ford or Dodge or Toyota or Nissan or BMW or Benz or Audi or Honda?
Please go back and reread my post. It simply says that the government has made back MANY TIMES OVER the money they wrote off on the GM bankruptcy. If I said give me $100,000 and EVERY YEAR I will repay you $120,000 would you take that deal ?? You know damned well you would.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
The alternative would have been let Chrysler's assets be sold repay the right owners and a bridge loan for GM.

Chrysler is foreign owned.
So you would have given GM the money, and called it a bridge loan, and that would have been better how?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Please go back and reread my post. It simply says that the government has made back MANY TIMES OVER the money they wrote off on the GM bankruptcy. If I said give me $100,000 and EVERY YEAR I will repay you $120,000 would you take that deal ?? You know damned well you would.
You are operating under the assumption that economics is a zero sum game. It is not.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
You are operating under the assumption that economics is a zero sum game. It is not.

I am merely saying that the governments actions kept two million people employed and at good jobs. Would those people have found work at other companies. Probably, eventually. But the fact is the economy was shedding jobs and at a furious rate. Unemployment was already 10% and climbing. Keeping those people employed was the smart move. In doing so the government has certainly been paid back several times over.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I am merely saying that the governments actions kept two million people employed and at good jobs. Would those people have found work at other companies. Probably, eventually. But the fact is the economy was shedding jobs and at a furious rate. Unemployment was already 10% and climbing. Keeping those people employed was the smart move. In doing so the government has certainly been paid back several times over.
I understand what you are saying i just believe it to be short sighted and irresponsible.

when they just "print" off a gazillion billion Obama bucks to give to them ti "keep them going" it hurts all of us in the long run. That "new money" has to get its value from someplace. It takes that value from the already existing money. So not only is the money we have devalued by this action but by the time that "new money" reaches us lowly worker bees it has been beaten by inflation 10 times over. So in the long run i would say the short term struggles far outweigh the long term consequences.

Dec 2016
Canada
The Crash is over we at near 26,000 again. TRUMP TO THE RESCUE.

This GM layoff is due to GM over pricing it's product.. and sells taking a hit..
10% of stockholders hold over 80% of stock value on the exchanges, so a Dow...I presume...at 26,000 is good news for those who have large portions of their wealth in the market, but of little or no consequence to the majority of Americans who either hold no stocks, or insignificant amounts.

Perhaps your allegiance to King Donald the first is why you avoid explaining why declining stock prices are suddenly surging: Trump has been forced by powers beyond his control to make a deal with China that he did not want even just prior to stepping on a plane to go to the G-20! Either the consensus of opinion among the global investment class does not care whether China supersedes the US as global finance center, or they've told him he'll have to wait until later to kneecap China, cause what he's doing now is bad for business.....their business. And whatever we hear about how stubborn or narrow-focused King Don is, this is another example of him being forced to bend to the will of superior forces!

Everyone who actually works for a living employed by any large manufacturer understands that there is always enough money for the stuff they want( if they're reaching the end of the line they start profit-taking), and when they have to cut corners, it's always at the workers expense! Doesn't matter if we're talking GM or Ford or any Japanese car company, the corporate culture remains the same!

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
10% of stockholders hold over 80% of stock value on the exchanges, so a Dow...I presume...at 26,000 is good news for those who have large portions of their wealth in the market, but of little or no consequence to the majority of Americans who either hold no stocks, or insignificant amounts.

Perhaps your allegiance to King Donald the first is why you avoid explaining why declining stock prices are suddenly surging: Trump has been forced by powers beyond his control to make a deal with China that he did not want even just prior to stepping on a plane to go to the G-20! Either the consensus of opinion among the global investment class does not care whether China supersedes the US as global finance center, or they've told him he'll have to wait until later to kneecap China, cause what he's doing now is bad for business.....their business. And whatever we hear about how stubborn or narrow-focused King Don is, this is another example of him being forced to bend to the will of superior forces!

Everyone who actually works for a living employed by any large manufacturer understands that there is always enough money for the stuff they want( if they're reaching the end of the line they start profit-taking), and when they have to cut corners, it's always at the workers expense! Doesn't matter if we're talking GM or Ford or any Japanese car company, the corporate culture remains the same!
~66% or 2/3 of the people in the US are INVESTED in the markets.. so the markets increases benefit 2 of every 3 American citizens. then you add the increase in asset growth, and dividend earnings on value of the individual shares.
Many times the market declines dividend are paid to the investor as well as the value of the assets of the company, (which is owned by the shareholder).