Are you sure it's all the millennials fault?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Who parented millennials?
Millennial parentage is shared by Boomers and X’ers with Boomers holding the greater share. Shaming the Millennial generation is ridiculous.
I'm a Boomer and my parents thought our generation was going to hell in a picnic basket. My parents were the Greatest Generation and THEIR parents and grandparents thought THEY were going to hell. My grandparents, born in 1900 and slightly before, told me THEIR parents thought they were bound for hell......so......???
There are reasons why each generation is misunderstood by the previous generations.
The Millens were the first generation to come of age in the world of social media. They are identity conscious. Millennials have always rewritten traditional routes to adulthood, and they’re no different in their approach to parenthood.
They grew up with abundance but tossed that idea into the trash. They aren't interested in "stuff", home ownership, Ferraris, being CEOs, or cruises around the world.
Millens have waited longer to become parents and have practiced birth control--planning their lives. Millennial dads are amazing and totally committed to parenting.
Millens are in debt up to their eyeballs. They opted for education over trade. AND what about the economy they grew up in?
Experts say they’ve been hit particularly hard by a difficult economy because they have launched their careers at a time when job prospects are so dim.
The unemployment rate for younger workers has generally been higher than for older workers throughout the recession and recovery, and those who are working have likely started off lower on the ladder, and making less money, than they might have in a better economy.

There are exceptions to everything stated above, and my statements are generalizations---not specifics. Let's ease up on the Millens. Within a few years, they will be running the world and in charge of your nursing care. LOL

Nov 2012
Rhondda
The parents of the 1950's, here anyway, got much worse themselves before leaving their children in a situation where they could only look feeble. That war generation broke Hitler and set up the only decent economic order we've ever had, then shrank, rushing into little boxes out of which they crept to get more and more fatuous consumer goods. Who can blame 'em after what they'd been through, but the lesson is clear enough: when you've got the chance, complete the job.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I am a millennial and yes I'm aware of how difficult my generation can be. But I will defend my generation to the death.

I'm just one person so my experience isn't exactly the same as all millennials. But I finished high school and felt I had to go to a 4-year college because the average salary with and without a college degree is about 50%. So I got my 4-year degree along with $40K in student loan debt I'm still paying off to this day. Unfortunately, I graduated in 2010 and entered the worst job market since the great depression. I found a temp/trainee job, but it didn't last more than a year because the rental market in Madison is insane and I couldn't afford my crappy apartment. So I had to get a new job which, thankfully, has turned into a career. After a few years my wife and I saved up enough money to buy a junk house that we had to flip before we could live in it (spent a month sleeping on an air mattress in the basement.

Again, not every millennial had my experience. But please understand my frustration when I hear about how millenals are entitled and don't know the meaning of hard work.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
@UDub not all millennials are But really, many are, They call out of work then they complain they don't have money.

Best example is Congress woman elect Cortez..

She whines "I don't have enough money to find a home in DC to live when I go to Congress" suggesting he tax payer should be paying for her DC Residence.

Just last week she put her priorities in order "I am going to spend 1000s of dollars for a Spa week"

Now this is the type of Millennial that is being addressed.

Priority Home to life or Spa week.. ... .... ... This is the level of entitlement many (not all have)

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
@UDub not all millennials are But really, many are, They call out of work then they complain they don't have money.

Best example is Congress woman elect Cortez..

She whines "I don't have enough money to find a home in DC to live when I go to Congress" suggesting he tax payer should be paying for her DC Residence.

Just last week she put her priorities in order "I am going to spend 1000s of dollars for a Spa week"

Now this is the type of Millennial that is being addressed.

Priority Home to life or Spa week.. ... .... ... This is the level of entitlement many (not all have)
I appreciate the clarification, but I have to interject. Do you think Congresswomen elect Cortez is a is the best representation of who millenials are as a generation? Or are you picking her because she's being pushed into the spotlight as someone you disagree with?

I ask this as someone who leans left on most issues, thinks the country could move in sensible progressive direction, and thinks Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a moron who is being arbitrarily pushed into the spotlight from the left because she's an attractive, young outspoken politician, and being arbitrarily pushed by the right because she says a lot of stuff that is really dumb.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Cortez rattles cages and good for her! AND she's one of many---SOME on the RIGHT have done the same--just in a different direction. We've heard some pretty dim-witted claims in the last 2-3 years.
It doesn't bother me one bit that a young person (a woman) on the LEFT refuses to be a doormat and conformist. She's questioning the conventional wisdom. She's DARING to dispute tradition. She's showing some SASS.