Argument for Old Earth Creationism

Feb 2019
here and there

Gerald Schroeder is part scientist and part theologian and wrote a book called, "Genesis and the Big Bang".

His science background is physics and his theological background is Judaism.

As a result, he cannot adopt the young earth creationism because it is contradictory to what he knows to be science, yet he will not throw away the Genesis account because of his knowledge of Judaism.

The general gist is, he studied rabbinical commentary on Genesis, ancient commentary that is pre-modern science. In it, he discovers a wondrous thing, the ancient rabbinical commentary think that the era of creation was much longer than 6 days.

The issue seems to be the King James version vs. the original Torah in Hebrew. There have been bad translations that led one to think, reading the KJV, that creation was only 6 days.

Add to this his own theory of the 6 days of creation, the theory being that the 6 days of creation are really describing the 15 billion or so years of the age of the universe. In short, with each day of creation time halves. That means that the first day is 4 billion years, day 2 is 2 billion years, etc. The interesting thing is, if you use his calendar it matches the scientific calendar for such things as the creation of the stars and the Cambrian Explosion in the seas, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio

Gerald Schroeder is part scientist and part theologian and wrote a book called, "Genesis and the Big Bang".

His science background is physics and his theological background is Judaism.

As a result, he cannot adopt the young earth creationism because it is contradictory to what he knows to be science, yet he will not throw away the Genesis account because of his knowledge of Judaism.

The general gist is, he studied rabbinical commentary on Genesis, ancient commentary that is pre-modern science. In it, he discovers a wondrous thing, the ancient rabbinical commentary think that the era of creation was much longer than 6 days.

The issue seems to be the King James version vs. the original Torah in Hebrew. There have been bad translations that led one to think, reading the KJV, that creation was only 6 days.

Add to this his own theory of the 6 days of creation, the theory being that the 6 days of creation are really describing the 15 billion or so years of the age of the universe. In short, with each day of creation time halves. That means that the first day is 4 billion years, day 2 is 2 billion years, etc. The interesting thing is, if you use his calendar it matches the scientific calendar for such things as the creation of the stars and the Cambrian Explosion in the seas, etc.
Why did Schroeder torture his cat by putting it in a box with a radioactive element?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
So if that part of the bible is wrong, why should anyone think any other part is right?

Feb 2019
here and there
How many more glitches are there?
That takes some study to find out.

Translating into another language is not a perfect science.

For example, in 1 Corinthians 13 Paul talks about what love is, only, in the KJV they use the translation charity instead of love.

This can be interpreted in a different way using such verbiage, but I assume the issue is the terrible way in which English does not translate the various kinds of love that the Greeks were good at doing.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
That takes some study to find out.

Translating into another language is not a perfect science.

For example, in 1 Corinthians 13 Paul talks about what love is, only, in the KJV they use the translation charity instead of love.

This can be interpreted in a different way using such verbiage, but I assume the issue is the terrible way in which English does not translate the various kinds of love that the Greeks were good at doing.
I can't accept that God just looks on and does nothing while His inerrant word gets butchered by translators.

The written word seems a most unsuitable method for communicating the truth. Imo.

Reactions: RNG
Feb 2019
here and there
I can't accept that God just looks on and does nothing while His inerrant word gets butchered by translators.

The written word seems a most unsuitable method for communicating the truth. Imo.
Really, would God just stand by and let someone like Mohammad come along and just rewrite the Bible?

Hmm?

The Creation is an event that is highly complex and long yet only covered in two short chapters in Genesis. How exacty do you explain to people back in Biblical times or even the time when the KJV of the Bible was written what a billion years is?

What troubles me for those that believe in Creation as well as those who don't, both seem to have all the answers.

So I will ask you what God asked Job, since you seem to have all the answers, how were the foundations of the world laid?

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Really, would God just stand by and let someone like Mohammad come along and just rewrite the Bible?

Hmm?

The Creation is an event that is highly complex and long yet only covered in two short chapters in Genesis. How exacty do you explain to people back in Biblical times or even the time when the KJV of the Bible was written what a billion years is?

What troubles me for those that believe in Creation as well as those who don't, both seem to have all the answers.

So I will ask you what God asked Job, since you seem to have all the answers, how were the foundations of the world laid?
Mohammad was a false prophet and at the lowest level of Dante's Inferno.