Arizona GOP Sen. Martha McSally says she was 'preyed upon and then raped' in Air Force by superior officer

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Tip of the iceberg, as always.

Arizona GOP Sen. Martha McSally says she was 'preyed upon and then raped' in Air Force by superior officer

Sen. Martha McSally, the first female fighter pilot to fly in combat, disclosed during an emotional Senate hearing on Wednesday she was "preyed upon and then raped" in the Air Force by a superior officer.

The Arizona Republican, who served 26 years in the Air Force, made the disclosure during a Senate hearing on sexual assault allegations in the military. McSally said she didn't report the assault because she didn't trust the system, and was ashamed and confused.

“My drive to fight against sexual assault in the ranks is not from the outside looking in," McSally began. "And it is deeply personal."

McSally said that during her military career, she was "greatly privileged to prepare and then lead my amazing Airmen in combat, which is the apex responsibility of any warrior leader."

But, McSally added that she had also "witnessed so many weaknesses in the processes involving sexual assault prevention, investigation, and adjudication," which motivated her "to make recommendations to Air Force leaders, shaped my approach as a commander, and informed my advocacy for change while I remained in the military and since I have been in Congress."

More: Arizona GOP Sen. Martha McSally says she was raped in Air Force by a superior officer

Apr 2013
Left coast
From my memories of my Air Force Reserve days, this doesn't surprise me. Nor does it surprise me that she didn't bother to report it. Odds are it would have just made things worse for her.

Being the ever-optimist, I'll "add at that time".

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
From my memories of my Air Force Reserve days, this doesn't surprise me. Nor does it surprise me that she didn't bother to report it. Odds are it would have just made things worse for her.

Well, you gotta wonder if she's waited longer than the Trump-Kavanaugh reporting deadline, because, well, because if she has, then she's undoubtedly lying about the whole thing.

**sarcasm**

Dec 2015
Arizona
This was big big news on the AZ networks last night.
It was a moment that was not just powerful for being bipartisan, but specifically for being bipartisan on a matter that Republicans for too long have been rather remiss in addressing. Understatement.

Or, if you're Jill Filipovic, it's a powerful moment to rip on McSally for being complicit in the "staunchly anti-feminist" conservative movement. Here's part of the tweet:
This is brave. It's also important. The conservative movement in the US has been staunchly anti-feminist, deriding many women who talk about sexual violence as having a "victim mentality." As a result, there can be a cost to prominent conservative women who speak out.​

This is complicated by the fact that McSally is a member of the exact movement that is hostile to sincere and holistic efforts to combat violence against women, and that folds misogyny into much of its politics. But feminists do want all women to benefit from our gains.​

McSally has been retired from the military for 10 years. She was silent for 10 years AFTER she LEFT the system that continues to rape. She was silent during the 2016 campaign. She was silent during the Larry Nassar trial. She was silent during the Kavanaugh debacle. She sat on her hands while literally hundreds of women told their story and the Republican Party laughed. While I admire her "true confession" now and I applaud her for finally having the courage to SAY IT out loud, I cannot condone the last 10 years of silence. Her statement could have *could have* made a difference--could have swayed or convinced the nay-sayers that our RAPE culture is real and that women SHOULD BE BELIEVED.​
So now the question becomes GOP, do you believe McSally?? Conservatives continue to mock women for all sorts of reasons. Example: Yesterday
A decision by a group of male Republican New Hampshire lawmakers to wear pearls during a hearing on gun control legislation sparked accusations that they were being sexist and insensitive to the mothers of those killed in shootings.
State conservatives, however, say the lawmakers were supporting women's rights to arm themselves for defense.
The controversy began Tuesday afternoon during the debate over a bill that would restrict access to firearms from people deemed to pose an "immediate risk to themselves or others."
Photos posted on social media show several male Republicans wearing pearls during the hearing.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/06/politics/new-hampshire-gun-debate/index.html

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
This was big big news on the AZ networks last night.
It was a moment that was not just powerful for being bipartisan, but specifically for being bipartisan on a matter that Republicans for too long have been rather remiss in addressing. Understatement.

Or, if you're Jill Filipovic, it's a powerful moment to rip on McSally for being complicit in the "staunchly anti-feminist" conservative movement. Here's part of the tweet:
This is brave. It's also important. The conservative movement in the US has been staunchly anti-feminist, deriding many women who talk about sexual violence as having a "victim mentality." As a result, there can be a cost to prominent conservative women who speak out.​
This is complicated by the fact that McSally is a member of the exact movement that is hostile to sincere and holistic efforts to combat violence against women, and that folds misogyny into much of its politics. But feminists do want all women to benefit from our gains.​

McSally has been retired from the military for 10 years. She was silent for 10 years AFTER she LEFT the system that continues to rape. She was silent during the 2016 campaign. She was silent during the Larry Nassar trial. She was silent during the Kavanaugh debacle. She sat on her hands while literally hundreds of women told their story and the Republican Party laughed. While I admire her "true confession" now and I applaud her for finally having the courage to SAY IT out loud, I cannot condone the last 10 years of silence. Her statement could have *could have* made a difference--could have swayed or convinced the nay-sayers that our RAPE culture is real and that women SHOULD BE BELIEVED.​
So now the question becomes GOP, do you believe McSally?? Conservatives continue to mock women for all sorts of reasons. Example: Yesterday
A decision by a group of male Republican New Hampshire lawmakers to wear pearls during a hearing on gun control legislation sparked accusations that they were being sexist and insensitive to the mothers of those killed in shootings.
State conservatives, however, say the lawmakers were supporting women's rights to arm themselves for defense.
The controversy began Tuesday afternoon during the debate over a bill that would restrict access to firearms from people deemed to pose an "immediate risk to themselves or others."
Photos posted on social media show several male Republicans wearing pearls during the hearing.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/06/politics/new-hampshire-gun-debate/index.html
At least McSally wasn't accused of lying, but the above criticism leveled at her is reprehensible.

Being able to talk about being raped is a stage in recovery from it. Nobody has any right to criticize a person's healing process.

In doing so, Filipovic reinforced the image of a hate-filled feminist.

Dec 2015
Arizona
At least McSally wasn't accused of lying, but the above criticism leveled at her is reprehensible.

Being able to talk about being raped is a stage in recovery from it. Nobody has any right to criticize a person's healing process.

In doing so, Filipovic reinforced the image of a hate-filled feminist.
YUP. And let me fix your statement: At least McSally wasn't accused of lying....YET.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
YUP. And let me fix your statement: At least McSally wasn't accused of lying....YET.
Most likely never will be right away. She's not hi-profile enough for the libs to expend huge amounts of cash bashing her until she runs for election after her appointed term expires. That's when you'll see any semi-credible accusation of lying appear if they have a semi-credible accuser in the bag.
In her case making a stronger case for victimhood isn't in the interests of the libs by hauling out a Ford like dog and pony show.

Dec 2015
Arizona
During my morning walkie-talkie jaunt--six senior ladies--the oldest said " I don't believe any of them." (Referring to the victims who came forward)
And I said "Does that include the children?"
Yeah--I know---I'm a snot sometimes.
But in my defense, I'm sick of this RW premise--guilty till proven innocent. Why can't we believe the accuser FIRST and THEN sift things out-----look at the facts and decide? Why can't we approach it that way?

I was required by law to report abuse and neglect of my school children. Often the kids denied it but the bruises were there--great big, black and blue bruises--bruises that looked like fingerprints/handprints.
The hungry kids made excuses. The quiet, scared kids wouldn't speak. The kids who threatened me, screamed/cried, came at me with a knife or tried to punch me were the ones who were sexually abused, so when a KID actually asks for help and explains why---I'm GOING TO BELIEVE THEM and so should everyone else.
It's time to start believing.

Apr 2014
Heart of America

Agreed on "at the time". My calculation is this happened about 2005-2006 when she'd been in for 18 years.....where both she and her "superior officers" would have served most of their career under a President well known to be a sexual predator and who claimed blowjobs weren't sex.

The problem then is the same we have now with sex cases; it's often he said/she said or he said/he said. The allegations against Kevin Spacey cost him some jobs but prosecuting him for a crime would be difficult. Look how long it took to convict Bill Cosby. Whether or not Harvey Weinstein is convicted is up in the air. It's sad, but it's the reality of the situation.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Agreed on "at the time". My calculation is this happened about 2005-2006 when she'd been in for 18 years.....where both she and her "superior officers" would have served most of their career under a President well known to be a sexual predator and who claimed blowjobs weren't sex.

The problem then is the same we have now with sex cases; it's often he said/she said or he said/he said. The allegations against Kevin Spacey cost him some jobs but prosecuting him for a crime would be difficult. Look how long it took to convict Bill Cosby. Whether or not Harvey Weinstein is convicted is up in the air. It's sad, but it's the reality of the situation.
If you are using the bolded as a criteria, then since 2016 the military should all be falling on their asses, and the sidewalks would be filled with people slipping on spilt cum.